• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is it not official yet? Championship final played at Wembley. L1 and L2 at old trafford.

I'll be honest - if we get to the Play Off final, I don't care if it's played in Russia - as long as we win

I think people are forgetting the LDV turnouts prior to the Lincoln play-off final. For those we took 22,000 and 18,000. I believe the turnout for the play-off final was much lower due to the fact that many had forked out for the 2nd LDV only 6 weeks before. The novelty of a Cardiff final had probably gone by then for most anyway and we were left with 8,000 of mainly hardcore support. Without the LDV's we'd have definitely taken 20,000+ to Cardiff for the play-offs.

The fact Southend have never played at Old Trafford should therefore be a deciding factor, along with the fact it's been 6 years since we made a domestic final. If we reach the play-off final I can see us taking 15,000+ to Manchester.

Yeah I agree with this. The LDV final was a major factor. I didn't go myself because I was convinced we'd lose as we were cursed at that bloody stadium. My biggest regret as a Southend fan but luckily I was at Swansea away the following year.

Yeah, but, seeing a win, maybe they will come back? Especially considering our recent form. Northampton usually bring a fair amount aswell.

Hopefully that may include Canvey Shrimpers return. Anyone seen Harry??

Don't be fooled by last nights attendance, effectively that was a boxing day attendance as most people had their tickets ways back in december!!

Apart from my son who did have a ticket for Boxing Day but still had to buy another for last night after his flatmate had a tidy up and threw his ticket away thinking it was an old used one because it had the 26th December on it!! :smiles:

Im gutted its not at the Mil Stad so we can look for that Flag that was stolen, for the life of me i cant remember whose it was

I think people are forgetting the LDV turnouts prior to the Lincoln play-off final. For those we took 22,000 and 18,000. I believe the turnout for the play-off final was much lower due to the fact that many had forked out for the 2nd LDV only 6 weeks before. The novelty of a Cardiff final had probably gone by then for most anyway and we were left with 8,000 of mainly hardcore support. Without the LDV's we'd have definitely taken 20,000+ to Cardiff for the play-offs.

The fact Southend have never played at Old Trafford should therefore be a deciding factor, along with the fact it's been 6 years since we made a domestic final. If we reach the play-off final I can see us taking 15,000+ to Manchester.

spot on, i know plenty of bods who didnt do the play off final due to the previous ldv final and the short notice of reaching the final

No chance, as Smiffy quotes, 8,000 max. Bank holiday sunday people will be coming out with the same excuses as the play off final (which was more important than both LDV finals), i.e. got to take the family out for the day, long weekend, air show etc. Made me laugh before the Lincoln game when fans said they could'nt afford Cardiff for a 2nd time in 6 weeks as it was then a bank holiday weekend. Anyone on a fixed budget could have gone on one of the coaches, buying the cheapest ticket available and money for a pint and a pie would have cost about £60. Bet most of those fans spent that amount on alcohol before, during and after the game, and also celebrating on the sunday and monday!. It's all about priorities, and unfortunately a number of our fans are not as fanatical as some other clubs around the leagues. No insult intended, just plain facts.

Definitely, what is the capacity? 75,000?
To bring 20,000 thousand is probably very cuckoo landish.

Quite likely to play dirty Gills I'd say. The football league has to look at changing it, surely?

........ 'bout as likely as a 6-0 win against Barnet, I'd say ! :winking:

Personally I hope we get automatic promotion because I will not be going to the play off final as I will be in the Carribean at that time.

With regards to the attendance should we get to OT. I went to the 3 Cardiff finals and the point that most people overlook is that the Play off final is always on the May Bank holiday weekend when we always have the airshow. Most people make arrangements for that long before the finalists are known, hence why we took about 20K for the LDV's (which were earlier in the season) and only 8K to the Lincoln game. Now what price a Southend V Lincoln play off final again this year?

With regards to the attendance should we get to OT. I went to the 3 Cardiff finals and the point that most people overlook is that the Play off final is always on the May Bank holiday weekend when we always have the airshow. Most people make arrangements for that long before the finalists are known, hence why we took about 20K for the LDV's (which were earlier in the season) and only 8K to the Lincoln game. Now what price a Southend V Lincoln play off final again this year?

With all respect Wally, the airshow has been on the agenda every year since the early 80's. Hardly something to plan for in advance, and an excuse not to cheer on your team on in their most important game of the season?.

Not been to the new Wembley but Old Trafford is a fine ground and a fantastic example of rebuilding in situ. Despite the all seater you can also generate a decent atmosphere in there, something MU seemingly fail to do. I reckon we would take 15,000 minimum. It's also reasonably easy to get to by most forms of transport.

Personally I hope we get automatic promotion because I will not be going to the play off final as I will be in the Carribean at that time.

Game was on Saturday; airshow was Sunday and Monday.

Anyway I would have thought the airshow would be an excellent reason to be somewhere else.

Am I wrong or are we still out of the play-off places? A little optimism is nice but there's still a very very long way until we can be dreaming off play-off finals or automatic places. Survival was more than a lot of people expected this season, I'd happily play the finals anywhere as long as we got there, lets not get ahead ourselves though...

Am I wrong or are we still out of the play-off places? A little optimism is nice but there's still a very very long way until we can be dreaming off play-off finals or automatic places. Survival was more than a lot of people expected this season, I'd happily play the finals anywhere as long as we got there, lets not get ahead ourselves though...

Thank god someone said it, everyone's speaking as if the play-off's are a certainty. We have another 15 games left. To reach the play-off's, were going to need to win at least 8 of them i'd say.

Blaming the airshow and bank holiday is missing the real reason attendance was low for the final.

Firstly the novelty of playing there was gone and secondly we had blown automatic promotion and mist didn't want to go to be disappointed yet again at the millennium stadium.

Back