• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

applelover

Coach
Regardless of our position in the league or last nights performance what annoys me most is the attitude of too many of our supporters at roots hall. It has been the same for several years not just since tilson left. I much prefer away games these days.

We've blamed the manager and the players for our awful form to no avail so we might as well blame the fans.

Who's going to start a thread blaming the tea bar staff? I personally blame the lack of pies in the East stand.

We will deserve promotion if we finish above 21 other teams, or manage to win the play-offs. The fans attitude has nothing to do with it. But I agree, the negativity of some fans also annoys me, but they pay the same money as I do to air their opinions as they see fit.

At least last night people did not get on the back of the first player to make a mistake. In fact from my seat in the West Stand I would say that the crowd were most supportive and cheered on the side throughout. Would have agreed with the comment in the past but certainly not taking last night's game as an example!!

Our fans are no different from any other clubs fans. Di Canio has recently criticised Swindon fans who were panicking after they lost a couple of away games and were 6 points clear at the top. A couple of seasons back ManUre fans were calling for the head of Ferguson because they didn't win anything that year.

I think our fans have been pretty patient to be honest.

In over 30 years of watching Southend I can honestly say the standard of our football at this seasons home games has been worse than some of the relegation season.

I think that was one of our lowest home league crowds of the season, o.k. it was a Tuesday night but it seems the casual supporter has given up coming and you can't blame them.

We have been banging on for weeks about getting the North Bank open so the passionate noisy fans can really make some noise. Credit due that they made a lot of noise last night but the sight of so many of them walking out before the end is a sad sad one.

It a cliche, but the table doesnt lie. If we finish 3rd, 8th 10th or whereever then thats what we deserve. I argued with my bruv in law last nite because he was saying we are **** and dont deserve anything, well i argued back and told him to look at our away stats. We are not **** we have won 12 games away and 8 at home. Our form at home is bizarre to say the least and actually if you reveresed our home and away form it would probably replicate most of the teams around us. Shrews are strong at home but not so good away. Its a tough time of the season, every win is a massive three points and every defeat crucial. BUT, we are forth and with a bit more luck and composure at home then we will be ok. Are we going up in the top three, well after last nite it will be tough, BUT at least we may have a chance of a play off place and dream of a Wembley win....Wembley counts as an away game right????????

If we hadnt spent so much money and had so many new and individually decent players in this season, following 2 years of fighting for our financial survival fans expectations would have been much lower. I expected mid-table preseason. With the amount of tinkering Sturrock had been able to do in comparison to at least 18 teams in the division (possibly more) it is clear that the board either expect (or more likely have rashly gambled on) promotion.

That activity has raised fans expectations. Compare that to life under Alan Little where we really did have journeymen, no ambition and definitely no funds. Fans did not EXPECT promotion or were as critical as we currently are. Vocal, passionate and whingeing after a defeat with a large slice of realism.

The support last night was actually ok ..considering.
I do not agree with getting on the player's backs and last night that did not happen.

Having said that. Football is not a cheap entertainment these days and I have to say the following:

Over many, many years of going to Roots Hall we have had worse teams, much worse...but never such awful, dull, lethargic performances as have been witnessed at home in the last few weeks. Truly appalling stuff.
The really poor sides we have had in the past, have often given it a go..but been beaten. Of late, this far superior squad has bored and frustrated the paying customer.

Is expensive to watch the current quality.

It loathes me to write this.

I think if we do get promoted (which I hope we do) then this would have been the worst promotion winner season that I've certainly seen. That goes for the squad and entertainment value.

It frustrated me in the league 1 relegation season as we were trying to play entertaining football and IMO were equal or better than most sides, we just gave away too many weak goals through silly mistakes. I always thought a lot of the mistakes were due to a small but vocal element putting some of our players under unnecessary pressure. I even got into a frank exchange of words with another 'fan' who sat near me at the end of the season and let off the steam that had been building up for sometime, I also changed my season ticket as it would have been awkward sitting near him after that ha ha.
This season I have a little more sympathy for the frustrated, I think this side is very hard to get excited over. I recognise Sturrock is very good at what he does, but i'm just not a fan of it. I'm guilty as far as not being vocal and not contributing to the atmosphere, but I would never get on the players backs because I know as a player that never helped me. (I may have got on Drewe Broughtons back once or twice but I'm only human). I have great respect for the Blue Voice lads who put in a shift vocally more often than not, but I need some motivation and i'm not getting it.

It frustrated me in the league 1 relegation season as we were trying to play entertaining football and IMO were equal or better than most sides, we just gave away too many weak goals through silly mistakes. I always thought a lot of the mistakes were due to a small but vocal element putting some of our players under unnecessary pressure. I even got into a frank exchange of words with another 'fan' who sat near me at the end of the season and let off the steam that had been building up for sometime, I also changed my season ticket as it would have been awkward sitting near him after that ha ha.
This season I have a little more sympathy for the frustrated, I think this side is very hard to get excited over. I recognise Sturrock is very good at what he does, but i'm just not a fan of it. I'm guilty as far as not being vocal and not contributing to the atmosphere, but I would never get on the players backs because I know as a player that never helped me. (I may have got on Drewe Broughtons back once or twice but I'm only human). I have great respect for the Blue Voice lads who put in a shift vocally more often than not, but I need some motivation and i'm not getting it.

Agreed.
The team is truly, truly appalling at home. The most boring ever...by far!

Back