• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was a huge AB fan in his previous spell. Is well past his best now but still looks better than most at this level to be honest. At the begining of the season I didn't want him back but right now he fits the bill for everything we are missing....an experienced vocal player who is a real threat at set plays.

Would prefer we spent what funds we have on 1/2 proven perfumers than gamble in the loan market on kids/prem cast offs who are on their way out anyway. In terms of points we would be better served breaking the bank on Tubbs and putting JW in at CB for a while (we would still have one of the better back 4s in the division)
Well this division must be even worse than I thought as personally I can't recall the last time we had such a poor back 4.

I would love AB back in a Southend shirt again. Nobody can tell me that even if he didn't play every game that he wouldn't strengthen the squad considerably. Experienced cover for centre back/left back and always chips in with a goal or two.

One of my all time favourite players and bringing him back on loan till the end of the season would be a real boost for the club.

Unless Luke Prosser no longer figures in Phil Brown's plans, it seems unlikely that the Southend manager would go for another left-sided central defender.

Unless Luke Prosser no longer figures in Phil Brown's plans, it seems unlikely that the Southend manager would go for another left-sided central defender.

Surely that is the point, at one time we had 4 right sided CBs this season and only Pross on the left. This is another example of PBs poor and quite remarkable decision making when signing players.

Loved the player when he was with us (100% Blue, through and through)..........loved the era when he was with us, so many good memories. Would I want him back...........I don't think so. My memory is not up to much but towards the end of his time with us, didn't Adam adopt a rather worrying tendency to try a wrap his arms around opposition players who outdid him for pace?
Another interesting point is for those who believe Barrett coming back would help increase our goals from central defenders. During his time with us he got a reasonably impressive 27 league goals in 246 appearances (about 1 goal every nine games). Since leaving he's only managed a rather less impressive 5 league goals in 151 appearances (about 1 goal every thirty games).

Would have thought if Barrett came back he would probably sign on a perm contract. Clearly not wanted by Gillingham. As others have said he is southend through and through, still lives in the area etc. would like Tubbs as well but doubt we will get him. Would be surprised if he didn't stay at Wimbledon for the season now, unless he can't. One thing that impressed me tonight was, that Wimbledon didn't sit back, where they could they pushed forward and showed liverpool no respect. I can't imagne us playing that way under brown in a similar situation

Has he got hair now?

Because signing ex players has worked out so well for us recently!

Only 3 teams in the league have conceded less goals than us, not bad for such a poor back 4.
The TEAM defends. Maybe the reason we don't commit men forward is they are spending so much of their time helping out the defence? With a better defense MAYBE we would commit more players forwards. Also please remind me how many goals this quality back 4 has scored ? Lastly apparently we have one of the best if the not the best keeper in the league according to many on here- MAYBE that has something to do with our excellent goals conceded tally .

can you please choose a worse back four from the last 10 years. I look forward to seeing a response ?

Well this division must be even worse than I thought as personally I can't recall the last time we had such a poor back 4.

The only objective measure is how many goals we conceded- this tells a different story. To say you can't recall when we last had such a poor back 4 it seems to me at odds with reality but tbh I don't know if your memory goes back weeks, days, months, years or decades :smile:

The TEAM defends. Maybe the reason we don't commit men forward is they are spending so much of their time helping out the defence? With a better defense MAYBE we would commit more players forwards. Also please remind me how many goals this quality back 4 has scored ? Lastly apparently we have one of the best if the not the best keeper in the league according to many on here- MAYBE that has something to do with our excellent goals conceded tally .

can you please choose a worse back four from the last 10 years. I look forward to seeing a response ?

I'm inclined to agree here. I think the midfield nurses the back four more than it used to, when we had Sokolik and Egan there we always seemed to have more players up the pitch and we could trust them to carry the ball out.

Brown probably doesn't want AB back as he see's him a ready made replacement ie. caretaker or player/manager should the axe fall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back