• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ched Evans?

• Yes

Votes: 158 35.3%
  • No

Votes: 252 56.4%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 37 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would rather take DJ Campbell. Currently playing at Maidenhead United for nothing. Must be worth a punt at this level with him being a london boy

I'd have him every day - a £3m striker for free? But in reality, he wont be coming to League Two. There will be Championship/League One clubs that'll be sniffing around, so unfortunately, in reality... we'll have to stick with Corr and Barnard :'(

No. Anyone who thinks it acceptable to welcome a convicted rapist to a family football club should take a long hard look at themselves.

No. Anyone who thinks it acceptable to welcome a convicted rapist to a family football club should take a long hard look at themselves.

I was at Luton last week with my ten year old, there was nothing nice and family about the way some of our fans behaved. A lot if our fans especially away from home have a complete disregard for the fact that there are young kids and families in the stand. As for being a family club, I think you will find every club in the country will see themselves as a family club, in the community, youth initatives etc

I was at Luton last week with my ten year old, there was nothing nice and family about the way some of our fans behaved. A lot if our fans especially away from home have a complete disregard for the fact that there are young kids and families in the stand. As for being a family club, I think you will find every club in the country will see themselves as a family club, in the community, youth initatives etc

Fair enough. We should definitely sign him then.

Fair enough. We should definitely sign him then.

Im not saying we should defo sign him, it's just annoys me when fans try to play the moral card or the family club card. The behaviour of some of our fans discredits this theory like it does at many clubs. However, we have welcomed players to the club and welcomed players back to the club with criminal history, arguably not as severe as this case. PB has said on national radio that he would have Ched Evans at the club, (or back at his club I think he said). Therefore where does that leave people's opinions on PB? In him we trust many say. What about if he decided to bring Evans to the club?

Im not saying we should defo sign him, it's just annoys me when fans try to play the moral card or the family club card. The behaviour of some of our fans discredits this theory like it does at many clubs. However, we have welcomed players to the club and welcomed players back to the club with criminal history, arguably not as severe as this case. PB has said on national radio that he would have Ched Evans at the club, (or back at his club I think he said). Therefore where does that leave people's opinions on PB? In him we trust many say. What about if he decided to bring Evans to the club?

The club have full control over who they choose to employ but no control over who chooses to class themselves as a fan. If PB has said he would happily welcome Ched Evans to his club, then that's up to him but personally I don't think it appropriate.

Football is a grubby industry. I love the game and hate the sport. Read the opening chapters of Barry Fry's autobiography to see what happens at non-league levels. It is rotten from the top with Sepp Blatter and the alleged stuff re the Qatar World Cup right to the bottom and the Under 7's, where kids have to have pre-match inspections of photo's and birth certificates to make sure that the manager isn't playing a "ringer".

It's therefore unsurprising to me at the general lack of morality and principles being shown. Shrimperjon is right, every club has it's fair share of not very nice people, yet every club tries to be a "family" club and SUFC has in the past, I believe, won awards for this, giving some indication that it's better than most.

Would I want a convicted rapist at the club? No.

But there are plenty of ex-cons that have and are playing football. Does it depend on the crime? I guess so... but probably the ability of the player does more to overshadow the crime and bring instant forgiveness. I have seen several comments about people who would put up with him if he scored enough goals. It's like Suarez, isn't it (not in terms of crime, but attitudes)? The guy has bitten three players now. FIFA handed him on paper a stinging ban that was practically ineffective because it was over a summer and I believe it has been commuted down anyway, but even at the full whack wouldn't have had much of a significant ban. We won't have him here (in the UK) because he is absolute trouble, yet he's forgiven at Barca because he happens to be really good at scoring goals.

Incidentally, there was a female fan protest at Coventry when they signed Marlon King, a convicted sex offender. More women than ever go to games these days... do we want to alienate them as well?

Yes I'd take him. He made a mistake, he took advantage of a drunk girl, and he's served his punishment (well, he hasn't, but no one does these days). But if I were him I wouldn't come back into football. He'll get so much abuse from opposition fans, like Luke McCormick.

I'm sure the salary will make up for that....he won't earn that delivering pizzas.

Any thing dirty and grubby you would expect Judas to be first over the line .

At the moment I would take Dame Edith Evans if she could guarantee us 20 goals !

Bump.

Evans's lack of contrition has started to damage the reputation of Sheff Utd... and the haven't even offered him a contract yet!

I think he differs from McCormick in that the GK was unbelievably idiotic but never set out to kill those 2 children, and when charged he pleaded guilty. Evans still contests that he is innocent of a deeply sinister crime.

Is there anyone on here that would take him? I wouldn't wan't anyone like that living in my area let alone playing for the club!

To be honest, we could take him. It's hardly like there's any patrons or sponsors left to walk away from the club.

Phil Brown's doing a good enough job on his own of making fans stay away too.

It would be very
sad if Sheffield United bowed to those clueless nitwits(what the hell does Jessica Ennis have to do with football?)and failed to re-sign Evans,but he would be a great signing for us(exactly the sort of player we need!).

We know a jury,rightly or wrongly,found him guilty and because of that he was given the appropriate sentence-5 years.Because he is clearly not a criminal type and is highly unlikely to let himself get into a similar situation again ,it was rightly reduced to 2 1/2 years. In other words he has served his sentence,done his time and like all released prisoners should be encouraged to resume his normal working life,in his case,like Lee Hughes and McCormick before him,playing football.Obviously he has not apologised because he doesn't believe he was guilty and an appeal(presumably concerning the amount of consent involved) is ongoing.
Our prisons are hopelessly overcrowded( unbelievably there's still a "lock them up and throw away the key" brigade)not least because so many released prisoners quickly re-offend when they have not been encouraged and trained to to take up or re-find normal,crime-free lives including jobs.Prisoners also have every right to vote.

It would be very
sad if Sheffield United bowed to those clueless nitwits(what the hell does Jessica Ennis have to do with football?)and failed to re-sign Evans,but he would be a great signing for us(exactly the sort of player we need!).
Ennis is a Blade. I don't think she's a massive fan but her husband is. Sheffield United named a stand after her because her name and profile is good business for the club and they wanted to recognise her achievements in the Olympics. You can debate whether Sheff United should have done that - I know fans were split.

She has every right to ask for her name to be removed if she sees fit.

We know a jury,rightly or wrongly,found him guilty and because of that he was given the appropriate sentence-5 years.Because he is clearly not a criminal type and is highly unlikely to let himself get into a similar situation again ,it was rightly reduced to 2 1/2 years. In other words he has served his sentence,done his time and like all released prisoners should be encouraged to resume his normal working life,in his case,like Lee Hughes and McCormick before him,playing football.Obviously he has not apologised because he doesn't believe he was guilty and an appeal(presumably concerning the amount of consent involved) is ongoing.
Our prisons are hopelessly overcrowded( unbelievably there's still a "lock them up and throw away the key" brigade)not least because so many released prisoners quickly re-offend when they have not been encouraged and trained to to take up or re-find normal,crime-free lives including jobs.Prisoners also have every right to vote.

Lots of people can't go back into their profession if they've been convicted of a serious crime.

I know someone who can't be a pharmacist any more even though they WEREN'T convicted of a particular crime, because the Royal Pharmaceutical Society uses 'balance of probabilities' rather than 'beyond all reasonable doubt' as their burden of proof.

Ched Evans has the right to work IMO, but he doesn't have the right to go back into the profession he left.

It would be very

The bloke has shown no remorse and shows no sign of being rehabilitated. So much so that he does not even see what his did as being wrong, so there is every likelihood he will repeat it, He thinks he did nothing wrong !!,
in many cases that would have been sufficient to prevent Parole.

Had he shown an ounce of compassion , this discussion may not be going on, but witness intimation by his mates (9 were convicted of releasing her name) and lack of remorse mean this is going to run

Ennis is a Blade. I don't think she's a massive fan but her husband is. Sheffield United named a stand after her because her name and profile is good business for the club and they wanted to recognise her achievements in the Olympics. You can debate whether Sheff United should have done that - I know fans were split.

She has every right to ask for her name to be removed if she sees fit.

Lots of people can't go back into their profession if they've been convicted of a serious crime.

I know someone who can't be a pharmacist any more even though they WEREN'T convicted of a particular crime, because the Royal Pharmaceutical Society uses 'balance of probabilities' rather than 'beyond all reasonable doubt' as their burden of proof.

Ched Evans has the right to work IMO, but he doesn't have the right to go back into the profession he left.

I'd rather he was paid £10k a week and paid 40% tax, than was paid nothing and I had to contribute to his benefit.

There's plenty of prize tuncs out there who IMO should have the opportunity to earn the ridiculous money they do through playing football..one more won't make a jot of difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back