• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We Need Better Coaching

EastLondonShrimper

Schoolboy
Southend have once again showed various instances of fight, several instances of actually looking good; movement, passing, runs.. but what is ALWAYS lacking is the final product.

whether that be greediness, inability to pass and move, get into a good position to help us keep possesion, or even the clinical decisiveness of scoring a goal, and let's be fair - this is League 1, sometimes I feel like I could do better - and I haven't played the game in about 3 years.

I think that the problem lies either in the tactics, or the coaching. We have players that individually seem capable, but when it comes to working as a team, it doesn't work.

Today, I believe the 'want' was there. I felt the 2 goals were unlucky - but still, I believe the difference in the two sides came from the sloppy final product of whatever it was we were doing, and in that, I feel it is unfair to blame or single out players in particular; rather the training, tactics and coaching that goes on at the club.

I have utmost confidence in Tilly & Brush, but I think they are missing something at the moment, and for gods sake I hope they work out what it is while we still have a fight on our hands.

Last edited:
Southend have once again showed various instances of fight, several instances of actually looking good; movement, passing, runs.. but what is ALWAYS lacking is the final product.

whether that be greediness, inability to pass and move, get into a good position to help us keep possesion, or even the clinical decisiveness of scoring a goal, and let's be fair - this is League 1, sometimes I feel like I could do better - and I haven't played the game in about 3 years.

I think that the problem lies either in the tactics, or the coaching. We have players that individually seem capable, but when it comes to working as a team, it doesn't work.

Today, I believe the 'want' was there. I felt the 2 goals were unlucky - but still, I believe the difference in the two sides came from the sloppy final product of whatever it was we were doing, and in that, I feel it is unfair to blame or single out players in particular; rather the training, tactics and coaching that goes on at the club.

I have utmost confidence in Tilly & Brush, but I think they are missing something at the moment, and for gods sake I hope they work out what it is while we still have a fight on our hands.

I am reminded of an old pro coach who used to help me out. When I would be stuggling to get more from certain players he would say "you cant put in what God left out son" and that is where we are with this squad I am afraid.

Was there a coaching problem during our back to back promotions ?

The team is lacking in confidence and more importantly creativity, we dont have the players able to provide what you correctly identify as missing.

Maybe on a pitch not freshly ploughed for cabbages we might see Watt add that little spark...

Was there a coaching problem during our back to back promotions ?

The team is lacking in confidence and more importantly creativity, we dont have the players able to provide what you correctly identify as missing.

Maybe on a pitch not freshly ploughed for cabbages we might see Watt add that little spark...

No I wouldn't say there was a problem then, but there definitely is one now. Personally I think with better tactics and coaching the players we have now are more than capable of better things.

In my opinion alot of Southend play, whether on or off the ball, seems misdirected and haphazard, which I think isn't a problem with individuals, it's a problem with the team. And the blame for that would be on tactics and coaching.

we may not have the same lineup, but surely the squad all train together?

Thats not the same as playing together though! Players get used to other players runs etc. The last couple of months we have had so many different players but if we can have a settled side for the rest of the season we have enough in the squad to stay up.

I think the coaching deffinatly needs improvment, tilly is still young and learning. I have every faith in him being a top coach, but he must start to learn from his own mistakes that he is making. I think its simply that this is quite possibly the worst squad we have had for quite some time, im sure others will disagree, but I really think the level of quality is poor in key areas, hence our position in the table

A footballer with a brain to take in what the coaches were saying as opposed to better coaches/coaching would be welcomed.

A footballer with a brain to take in what the coaches were saying as opposed to better coaches/coaching would be welcomed.

Footballers with brains are rare/non existent. Any player is surely capable of reproducing what is done on the training ground, if it's drilled into them enough. And maybe that's where the problem is.

Carefull, when I suggested that Tilly needs help in an earlier post I was well and truly shouted down!

Both publically and in private messages.

Before we get a coach we need to stop letting Malone take our set pieces. I'd rather have a throw-in from 40 yards away than a freekick by Malone.

I think the coaching deffinatly needs improvment, tilly is still young and learning. I have every faith in him being a top coach, but he must start to learn from his own mistakes that he is making. I think its simply that this is quite possibly the worst squad we have had for quite some time, im sure others will disagree, but I really think the level of quality is poor in key areas, hence our position in the table

You contradict your first sentence in your third....

The key to our performance this season is the squad of players we have are not good enough. The players we do own are not as good as those we had when we won this division, and to top it off we have had to make do with too many short term loans and have not had an established side.

You cant coach the likes of McCormack, Grant and JFC to be creative minded, if you want creativity you have to get better players in.

Tilson certainly isnt perfect but how long does he have to be a manager for to qualify as no longer 'learning' ?

How many managers have 2 promotions, 2 cup finals, 1 play off final, a win against Man Utd, draw vs Chelsea etc ?

If he doesnt know what he is doing now its a bit worrying...

You contradict your first sentence in your third....

The key to our performance this season is the squad of players we have are not good enough. The players we do own are not as good as those we had when we won this division, and to top it off we have had to make do with too many short term loans and have not had an established side.

You cant coach the likes of McCormack, Grant and JFC to be creative minded, if you want creativity you have to get better players in.

Tilson certainly isnt perfect but how long does he have to be a manager for to qualify as no longer 'learning' ?

How many managers have 2 promotions, 2 cup finals, 1 play off final, a win against Man Utd, draw vs Chelsea etc ?

If he doesnt know what he is doing now its a bit worrying...

I disagree. This is league 1. If we were in this position in the championship then I'd think differently. In my opinion, every one of our players has shown themselves to be capable of playing well in this league, but for some reason they can't seem to play as a team.

I've lost count of the times i've seen a player make an amazing run, and have noone give him an option - I don't personally think that it's the players ability that are stopping them, i think its the teams coaching.

I do however agree that I think part of it is due to not being able to field the same 11 week-in, week-out, but I don't think that is where the problem ends.

Back