• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Banksy

First XI
It does not need me to tell all the fans out there.

If we are to sustain our exhulted position (we are going up)and be able to attract the calibre of players required, without the extra capacity and revenue, I fear the worst (and Lord help CU should they get promoted - their proposals for a new stadium are well under valued in terms of capacity and thus revenue).

So come on. Those old farts who object to the new ground - get real. Southend is not just a place for retirement but this football club can do wonders for for the Borough provided it gets the support that it deserves. We've been here before in the nineties. Let's make it enduring. If Ipswich can do it - so can we. And they've been there or there abouts for 46 years ! And to all those Arsenal, Spurs, Hampster fans who reside in the Borough and surrounding districts, ditch your allegience and support your home town club. Boy, am I excited !

But then, I am SUFC through and through.

What a day it could be tomorrow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banksy @ April 21 2006,09:11)]Lord help CU should they get promoted - their proposals for a new stadium are well under valued in terms of capacity and thus revenue
Our proposed new stadium is with a view to expansion where necessary. We are guaranteed to attract more supporters (home and away) to a modern, all-seater stadium, but we don't know exactly how many, and no-one wants to play in a half-empty stadium. If we are promoted this season the stadium will HAVE TO happen, and the capacity would probably have to be increased if we managed to stay up for a year or two.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ April 21 2006,09:15)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Banksy @ April 21 2006,09:11)]Lord help CU should they get promoted - their proposals for a new stadium are well under valued in terms of capacity and thus revenue
Our proposed new stadium is with a view to expansion where necessary. We are guaranteed to attract more supporters (home and away) to a modern, all-seater stadium, but we don't know exactly how many, and no-one wants to play in a half-empty stadium. If we are promoted this season the stadium will HAVE TO happen, and the capacity would probably have to be increased if we managed to stay up for a year or two.
But when ?

Sorry, how long is a piece of string.

But when what? If you mean when's ours going to be built, I'm still confident it'll be there for the start of the 07/08 season - that's been the word for several months now.

There's a lot of moaning in our camp about the time it's taking, when other clubs are getting new stadia left right and centre, but it's a complex development. Col******r's situation is unique to Col******r. These things take time!

All I can say the new Stadium needs to hold at least 25,000 if we have any ambition to to get to the Premier$hite....

Sorry 17000 is not enough even for today standards..... as Ive said we would of sold a lot more tickets for the last few home games. I know loads around Wickford who want to go but cannot make the ground during the week and cannot wait on the phones for 45 mins.....

I reckon if the could, we would of sold 25000 plus for the Bristol game.... city would of sold 3000 plus and remember we sold out months ago...

ok Im off to G8 Yarmouth :-( sing the boys to promotion for me :-) from a very GUTTED fan

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ April 21 2006,09:35)]All I can say the new Stadium needs to hold at least 25,000 if we have any ambition to to get to the Premier$hite....

Sorry 17000 is not enough even for today standards..... as Ive said we would of sold a lot more tickets for the last few home games. I know loads around Wickford who want to go but cannot make the ground during the week and cannot wait on the phones for 45 mins.....

I reckon if the could, we would of sold 25000 plus for the Bristol game.... city would of sold 3000 plus and remember we sold out months ago...

ok Im off to G8 Yarmouth :-( sing the boys to promotion for me :-) from a very GUTTED fan

One Team In Essex
SOUTHEND UNITED FC
I agree!

If and when we move into this new stadium, why not have it built with that increased capacity!

It surely would be more cost effective in the long run, and would save lots of inconvenience in the future when/if we have to increase the stadium from 17,000.

With 25,000 capacity, i would rate our chances of staging an England U-21 fixture at the new ground. Especially as Peter Taylor is manager and his connections with the club.

I just hope this new stadium is not like the lego grounds of Oxford and Northampton!

BTW mate, have a good time in G8 Yarmouth, sorry you can't be at the game. I will cheer for you, and lets hope we get three points!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ April 21 2006,09:44)]BTW mate, have a good time in G8 Yarmouth, sorry you can't be at the game.  I will cheer for you, and lets hope we get three points!
Cheers Tony.... Up the Football league we go :-)

Being trying to make excuses but the G/F not having it and packing right now.LOL

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ April 21 2006,09:50)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (TonyTheKray @ April 21 2006,09:44)]BTW mate, have a good time in G8 Yarmouth, sorry you can't be at the game.  I will cheer for you, and lets hope we get three points!
Cheers Tony.... Up the Football league we go :-)

Being trying to make excuses but the G/F not having it and packing right now.LOL
You'll have to put her in her place mate!!

It's tragic that G8 Yarmouth is your destination this weekend. G8 Yarmouth will be there for many other weekends.

This Saturday could turn into a repeat of that famous game in Bury back in 1991. Tell her to shove G8 Yarmouth, bring her to Roots Hall instead!!

We need to grow solidly but consistantly, cos lets face facts the extra few thousand we have attracted recently WILL drift away if we lose our first few games next season, if we do well we'll be sold out every week, but if we struggle then a game against Burnley on a cold wet november night is unlikely to attract more than 5-6000.
Thats why i think its better to have a smaller stadium that can grow.. look at Darlo 25000 seats with 4000 crowds, it looks awful and must affect the players.
17000 will be fine to start, lets get people rushing to get tickets.. like we have now, and then when we expand we already have people desperate to fill the seats as they'd maybe missed out before.
Obviously this is a very simplified version of what i'm trying to say, but i hope you can catch my drift

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tr0ublegum @ April 21 2006,09:30)]I'm still confident it'll be there for the start of the 07/08 season - that's been the word for several months now.
Ready by August 2007, thats only 16 months time I wish you luck! Even if you started today that would be a tight schedule.

I still think ours is at least 4 years away.

Well maybe not the start... but once everything is agreed, 16 months isn't a huge amount of time for a project of its (modest) size.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ April 21 2006,09:35)]I reckon if the could, we would of sold 25000 plus for the Bristol game.... city would of sold 3000 plus and remember we sold out months ago...
I think we would struggle to sell 15000. We couldn't manage 25000 for the LDV finals so I don't think we would sell 25000 to see a team lift a cup, assuming we are champs.

I agree a new stadium is overdue and some teams in the higher divisions would easily bring 5000 away fans if allowed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Eternal Optimist @ April 21 2006,11:12)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (CSWICKFORDSHRIMPER @ April 21 2006,09:35)]I reckon if the could, we would of sold 25000 plus for the Bristol game.... city would of sold 3000 plus and remember we sold out months ago...
I think we would struggle to sell 15000. We couldn't manage 25000 for the LDV finals so I don't think we would sell 25000 to see a team lift a cup, assuming we are champs.

I agree a new stadium is overdue and some teams in the higher divisions would easily bring 5000 away fans if allowed.
Eh? We would have had no trouble in selling 15,000 for the Bristol City game (and for Yeovil game last season), not as high as 25,000 mind you.

We took near enough 20,000 to each LDV final not bad for a 430 mile round trip. Swansea only took 28,000 this year and Cardiff is only 40 miles away.

The 7,500 that we took to the play-off game was more of an issue. But all in the past now and our fan base has grown further this season.

As much money as it would bring in, I would not like the thought of having 5,000 away fans at our new ground.

Back