• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

We will be playing Southampton next season

bluebrian

First XI
Sky have just announced they have or will have 10 points deducted and so a nice little trip at their place is a certainty next year. Feel for their supporters though.

Blimey, its 10 points this season if they avoid relegation which will mean relegation anyway. However, if they are automatically relegated before the points deduction then the -10 will be carried over to next season.

Glad the loophole has been closed - as in this case - of a club waiting to see if they get relegated anyway first before taken the 10 point penalty.

I cannot see the Dutch guys hanging around surely - and i would imagine it will be VERY hard for Southampton to bounce straight back up, so wonder if they will go for a manager with experience of League 1 and with the thought of it being a 2+ year project to get them back up....

Someone lock Tilly away again...

Not pleased if I'm honest.

A proper club that, hopefully they'll come back fighting.

A nice trip though, my brother lives down there so the family will head down for a day out.

Not pleased if I'm honest.

A proper club that, hopefully they'll come back fighting.

A nice trip though, my brother lives down there so the family will head down for a day out.

How can it be a proper club when it hasn't been run properly hence the -10

Another nice away trip then, I feel for the fans aswell.

A lot of 'big teams' struggle to get out of League One at the first attempt, just look at Leeds and it took Forest a few years to get out.

In Southampton's current situation, they could end up getting relegated again and going down the same road as Luton as they will most likely lose there better players and they are skint.

I know some disagree, but a 10 point penalty isn't that bad compared to the advantage clubs have gained, by spending money they couldn't afford, over those clubs who have tried to live within their means.

From what we are told, our spending is more or less in line with what we can afford. This meant that, when in the CCC, we couldn't attract players as we were offering low wages. These players went to other CCC clubs (or even L1 clubs) who were willing to pay more, while they, it now turns out, couldn't really afford it either. We got relegated, other clubs got promoted or stayed up and gambled that they would rise even higher and get the Premiership rewards, or at the very least continue to get the CCC rewards.

On reflection 10 points is quite lenient. Mind you if Southampton don't exit administration with the required CVA (or whatever the rules require), they'll presumably get docked another 10 points or so.

See you all at St Mary's!

Feel really sorry for the fans as always(apart from Leeds) but yet another case of a club being poorly run. They had everything going for them, a new stadium, increased fanbase and a decent youth system but they blew it. Will probably take them a longtime to even become a decent Championship team again.

Amazing when you think that it was nearly 2 years ago when we went there (already relegated) and 32,000 packed in to see them make the playoffs. We were approached at the ground before the game by a saints fan who had come over from Ireland without a ticket and was offering £100 for one. Should one of us have taken his offer?. Mind you if we had of done and he cheered when they scored, then he probably would have got a good hiding!. Will be surprised if the attendance when we visit next season is much more than half of what it was on this day. How things change in a short period of time.

Amazing when you think that it was nearly 2 years ago when we went there (already relegated) and 32,000 packed in to see them make the playoffs. We were approached at the ground before the game by a saints fan who had come over from Ireland without a ticket and was offering £100 for one. Should one of us have taken his offer?. Mind you if we had of done and he cheered when they scored, then he probably would have got a good hiding!. Will be surprised if the attendance when we visit next season is much more than half of what it was on this day. How things change in a short period of time.

Nobody would have heard if he had cheered when Southampton scored - we were all making too much noise ourselves!

I don't judge a proper club on criteria of how well it's run. For me, they're a family club with near to nothing wrong with them, and for me that makes them a proper English side.

I bet the Pompey side of my family are popping the corks at the fate that's befallen the "Scummers"

Southampton
Company
Union
Men

I don't judge a proper club on criteria of how well it's run. For me, they're a family club with near to nothing wrong with them, and for me that makes them a proper English side.
Obviously run by very dishonest people who knew exactly what they were doing trying to work around the league rules. Feel sorry for the fans though.

Obviously run by very dishonest people who knew exactly what they were doing trying to work around the league rules. Feel sorry for the fans though.

Tax avoidance is not dishonest, tax evasion is.

Working round the rules should not imply dishonesty, they simply got it wrong (subject to appeal). Although to be fair, Rupert Lowe doesn't seem a very nice man.

I was doing a bit of researching, how strange does it seem that 6 years ago both of our opening 5 fixtures looked like this;

Southend Southampton

(A) Hull city (H) Middlesboro'
(H) Carlisle (A) Liverpool
(H) Shrewsbury (H) Chelsea
(A) Oxford (A) Spurs
(H) Cambridge (H) Everton

Just hoes to show how football is so unpredictable

I dont feel sorry for their fans. They are being relegated just as we were 2 years ago and will be in league 1 which is the same as us. It happens. I dont expect any other club's sympathy.

Back