• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Weak "wireless" signal(s)

cerbera45

Coach⭐
My router is downstairs in the hall and I tend to sit upstairs in my room. Thinking of buying a booster but do they actually work?

My router is downstairs in the hall and I tend to sit upstairs in my room. Thinking of buying a booster but do they actually work?
I use a mesh WiFi system - think it's tplink deco p9. Works well to get WiFi all around the house.

I've tried WiFi repeaters - not very successfully.

Also used powerlines successfully to just get ethernet or WiFi better in an individual room. These use the existing electric cables in the house

I have and am still using a WiFi booster and it works well. We got virtually no signal downstairs with just the upstairs router but since getting the booster the signal downstairs is as good as the one upstairs.

I use a mesh WiFi system - think it's tplink deco p9. Works well to get WiFi all around the house.

I've tried WiFi repeaters - not very successfully.

Also used powerlines successfully to just get ethernet or WiFi better in an individual room. These use the existing electric cables in the house
My dad has a repeater at home, which works well except he hasn't managed to clone the router SSID etc so he has two different ones (the router and the repeater) which is a pain.

I personally have a house full of powerlines and use ethernet cables as I find them more robust. Particularly since we had the downstairs remodelled a few years back and took out a lot of internal walls in favour of steel beams which interfere with WiFi signals.

In hindsight I should have gone ahead with my plan to network the entire house so that the downstairs cupboard housed a set of switches that distributed cables to every room in the house. I gave up when I saw the quote. I really should have done it.

Yes in my experience,Our router is in the study where I'm typing now (at the bottom of the house).But we have a booster placed upstairs in the lounge.My wife finds it invaluable when she's accessing the net on her mobile or on the laptop (ususlly in the kitchen,upstairs).

It's made a difference (albeit a small one) improving my signal upstairs
Doesn't sound as good as the Tp-link (which as I said we have in the lounge upstairs.It also means that anyone in the bedrooms (2 floors up) can get a good reception on their laptops/mobiles etc.

Last edited:
how much is a TP-Link ?!?
Dunno my wife bought it! Probably 18.99 from Media markt, (there's one just up the road from us).https://www.mediamarkt.es/es/product/_repetidor-wifi-tp-link-wa850re-wifi-n-300-mbps-blanco-1178782.html?utm_source=google

Last edited:
Would welcome any advice. I have my desktop about 5 metres from the TV but with a placo wall between. I can use mirroring on the TV to get a good image from the computer but the sound is a bit distorted. Is there a simple and effective solution for improving the quality?

I have an Orbi mesh system which works well in all rooms apart from my steel lined panic room.

Back