• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone 0-1 Southend United

Thought we played well again, i never really felt they would score today as we looked solid at the back, funny I thought the atmosphere was a bit flat today considering how many we bought but I guess it goes that way sometimes. Only concern for me would be the fact that if it wasn't for the pen I didn't really feel we would score, for the amount of play we had it didn't feel like we had many shots on target, and not sure how long we can go on being a nearly team, who plays really well but can't kill teams off. But saying that, was a massive win and hopefully that will kick start us going forward and now 2 home games now on the bounce

It's fashionable to be down on clubs like Wealdstone but I thought they were among the better sides we have played so far and are a very tight unit. I expect them to be top half.

However, we were the better side throughout without creating much. Couple of decent chances in 1st half, Mooney missed a good one and we hit the bar.

I felt had it not been for GSM's red card we could have gone on to win by more. We rarely felt in danger at the back and Łopata really makes a difference in there. Hobson superb again.

We were just about the better team, and for once we won ‘ugly’.

I wouldn’t want that every week, but every once in a while is just fine by me.

Last edited:
Well deserved win today following up on a point against free scoring Wrexham (a game we should of won let’s not forget)

Wrexham scoring record in the last 7 games…..

5-3-3-5-4-0-6.

We made them look normal last week, we can’t underestimate that performance.

Let’s hope we go on a run now, with some very winnable games coming up!

Terrible away ground. Couldn't see one corner and still have no idea what the pen was for, although I heard handball.

A win is a win..

We deserved to win this game, the team played some decent football as did the home side but we were just the better team. Collin didn't really have a save to make apart from a block at the near post. We certainly look solid at the back but still seem to lack that cutting edge in the final third. I think we will go on to win more games than we lose.

A few comments from the Wealdstone board:

I think we got what we deserved! Southend created a number of great chances and hit the bar in first half. Shame it was decided on a penalty, but we looked toothless and created very little goal threat for all of our possession. The quality of final ball and set piece delivery really needs to improve. After a run of draws, perhaps this was the reminder needed that wins in this league are hard won.

Why did we wait till a goal down to start playing the ball on the ground instead of competing with hoofball against another team of giants?
But even against 10 men, we could not score.
Very frustrating to watch.

Southend very well organised in midfield that's why we didn't threaten much. Probably the best team at the Vale this season in terms of negating our strengths.

Bottom line, beaten by a better team on the day. And there is another point, most of these full time teams are bigger, stronger, sharper. There's a gap between full time and part-time low budget that is hard to bridge.

A few comments from the Wealdstone board:

I think we got what we deserved! Southend created a number of great chances and hit the bar in first half. Shame it was decided on a penalty, but we looked toothless and created very little goal threat for all of our possession. The quality of final ball and set piece delivery really needs to improve. After a run of draws, perhaps this was the reminder needed that wins in this league are hard won.

Why did we wait till a goal down to start playing the ball on the ground instead of competing with hoofball against another team of giants?
But even against 10 men, we could not score.
Very frustrating to watch.

Southend very well organised in midfield that's why we didn't threaten much. Probably the best team at the Vale this season in terms of negating our strengths.
We’re a team of giants now… I guess Lopata and Dackers may have increased the average height a bit. About time we started scoring more goals from set pieces then :Smile2:

I bet they're gutted they couldn't win against 10 men. Must take away from our performance because, judging from comments after the Chesterfield game, you must be a **** team not to beat 10 men

I bet they're gutted they couldn't win against 10 men. Must take away from our performance because, judging from comments after the Chesterfield game, you must be a **** team not to beat 10 men
They didn’t concede two goals when we were down to 10 men, not sure that’s a fair comparison.

Last edited:
Back