• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Wealdstone 0-1 Southend United

We had to drop out of going at the last moment so it was the radio for me. From what I heard Lopata was a giant in every sense of the word. So, for those that were there, how influential was he during the game?
One word immense we look so much better with him in the side

Yeah, I thought Gus actually pulled out of the challenge he was booked for, like he went to foul him and thought better. I wasnā€™t keen on the ref: fussy and too quick to give free-kicks for the slightest contact.

I was a little surprised Powell didnā€™t come on - I see his main use as being helping defending leads - but I suppose they wanted Dackersā€™ height for defending set plays. Agree on Wreh but his closing down was still an improvement on Hyde.
Yeah was impressed with Dackersā€™ defensive side .. helped out a lot. Defensively on the whole we look so much better with Lopata alongside Hobson, who had another blinder. Itā€™s interesting that we drop Powell and get 2 clean sheets. Better shape? Better ball retention? Coincidence?

Hyde has a lot more to offer I feel..he doesnā€™t seem to have hit 4th gear yet.

Some thoughts the morning after:

This was all about the result. After playing well for an hour at Chesterfield and losing 3-2 to ten men, and then the feeling of injustice at the disallowed goal against Wrexham, we needed something to go for us, and it did as the assistant referee eventually got the refereeā€™s attention to award the penalty.

In truth, we were the better side throughout, but we didnā€™t create a lot, especially in the first half when our best chances came from set-pieces. Thereā€™s been plenty of talk about our lack of goals from dead ball situations in recent years, and I think some of that is because we havenā€™t had players willing to attack the ball strongly enough. With Łopata, GSM and - for the time being at least - Dackers, thatā€™s not the case at the moment, and it shows.

I agree with one of the Wealdstone opinions earlier in this thread. They had some possession, especially in the first 20 minutes and then again late on, and they are a tight unit so you can see how theyā€™ve picked up points so far this season, but I felt their final ball was too direct. It was as though they didnā€™t know how to break us down. Some credit to us, then, for not allowing them to get the ball down until they had a numerical advantage.

GSM was possibly on course to be MotM until getting himself stupidly sent off for a needless second yellow card. The referee was consistent in his application of the Laws and he shouldā€™ve been a bit more alert to that. Until then heā€™d earned the penalty and been a real threat down the right.

In fact, there were so many free-kicks and cause to bring back play in what wasnā€™t a dirty game that it really affected our fluency. We didnā€™t express ourselves as we have in other matches this season, but that was at least partly because we couldnā€™t build any momentum. Conversely, once going 1-0 up, we managed the game well, not allowing Wealdstone to get on top of us. Powell wouldā€™ve been an ideal second-half introduction to run at the hosts and earn free-kicks, but GSMā€™s dismissal compromised that.

Mooney is a conundrum for me. Heā€™s clearly one of, if not the, most talented player weā€™ve got, but I donā€™t think heā€™s suited to the role behind two forwards. He doesnā€™t influence the game enough from there and when he drifts out to the right, which is where he wants to be, he canā€™t whip crosses in as easily as if he drifted to the left. Fonguck would seem to be a better fit in this formation, which clearly has itā€™s merits in bolstering the midfield.

Hyde wasnā€™t very effectual. It was the first time Iā€™ve seen him over a prolonged period; I think itā€™s likely heā€™ll get into good positions and score some goals for us, but Iā€™m not sure who he is going to link up best with. Possibly Cardwell will be that player once fit. Dackers took his penalty well, and he worked incredibly hard defensively in the closing stages. Also hit the crossbar with a header, but there was one moment in the first half when he couldā€™ve tested the goalkeeper but seemed to completely misjudge a good cross when in space in the penalty area.

Husin and Miley worked hard in midfield and it was impressive that we didnā€™t get over-run in midfield even when Mooney was withdrawn for Demetriou for the last ten-plus minutes when down to ten men.

Defensively we look so solid now. Lopata does make a massive difference as the leader of the back-line, and I think thatā€™s having a huge influence on Andeng Ndi. Collinā€™s confidence levels must be shooting up with these clean sheets and with a run of games in the team, and he made a smart save from a deflected shot, punched out everything delivered into the six-yard box and swept up everything on the edge of the penalty area. Heā€™s starting to look like he belongs in this team, not just a stop-gap, in my opinion.

Hobson, again, was absolutely outstanding and is another to benefit from Łopataā€™s leadership and organisation, even if his fine performances pre-date the Polish playerā€™s arrival this season. His decision-making is much-improved; there were a few times when he was under pressure that in the last heā€™dā€™ve dawdled on the ball and perhaps hit caught, but heā€™s not afraid now to clear long of out of play.

Ralph is also an asset out on the left, but he doesnā€™t get as much support from Kensdale as GSM gets from Hobson. I still think Kensdaleā€™s place in the team is vulnerable, and Lomas must be eager to earn his place back in the side. Heā€™s not doing much wrong, but he doesnā€™t look as imposing as his team-mates in the role heā€™s playing. Itā€™s a nice situation for the management team to have.

And, finally, a word for the management team. You could see the passion on their faces at the end of the game. It meant a lot to them. Hopefully this is the start of a really good run for us.

This was all about the result. After playing well for an hour at Chesterfield and losing 3-2 to ten men, and then the feeling of injustice at the disallowed goal against Wrexham, we needed something to go for us, and it did as the assistant referee eventually got the refereeā€™s attention to award the penalty.

In truth, we were the better side throughout, but we didnā€™t create a lot, especially in the first half when our best chances came from set-pieces. Thereā€™s been plenty of talk about our lack of goals from dead ball situations in recent years, and I think some of that is because we havenā€™t had players willing to attack the ball strongly enough. With Łopata, GSM and - for the time being at least - Dackers, thatā€™s not the case at the moment, and it shows.

I agree with one of the Wealdstone opinions earlier in this thread. They had some possession, especially in the first 20 minutes and then again late on, and they are a tight unit so you can see how theyā€™ve picked up points so far this season, but I felt their final ball was too direct. It was as though they didnā€™t know how to break us down. Some credit to us, then, for not allowing them to get the ball down until they had a numerical advantage.

GSM was possibly on course to be MotM until getting himself stupidly sent off for a needless second yellow card. The referee was consistent in his application of the Laws and he shouldā€™ve been a bit more alert to that. Until then heā€™d earned the penalty and been a real threat down the right.

In fact, there were so many free-kicks and cause to bring back play in what wasnā€™t a dirty game that it really affected our fluency. We didnā€™t express ourselves as we have in other matches this season, but that was at least partly because we couldnā€™t build any momentum. Conversely, once going 1-0 up, we managed the game well, not allowing Wealdstone to get on top of us. Powell wouldā€™ve been an ideal second-half introduction to run at the hosts and earn free-kicks, but GSMā€™s dismissal compromised that.

Mooney is a conundrum for me. Heā€™s clearly one of, if not the, most talented player weā€™ve got, but I donā€™t think heā€™s suited to the role behind two forwards. He doesnā€™t influence the game enough from there and when he drifts out to the right, which is where he wants to be, he canā€™t whip crosses in as easily as if he drifted to the left. Fonguck would seem to be a better fit in this formation, which clearly has itā€™s merits in bolstering the midfield.

Hyde wasnā€™t very effectual. It was the first time Iā€™ve seen him over a prolonged period; I think itā€™s likely heā€™ll get into good positions and score some goals for us, but Iā€™m not sure who he is going to link up best with. Possibly Cardwell will be that player once fit. Dackers took his penalty well, and he worked incredibly hard defensively in the closing stages. Also hit the crossbar with a header, but there was one moment in the first half when he couldā€™ve tested the goalkeeper but seemed to completely misjudge a good cross when in space in the penalty area.

Husin and Miley worked hard in midfield and it was impressive that we didnā€™t get over-run in midfield even when Mooney was withdrawn for Demetriou for the last ten-plus minutes when down to ten men.

Defensively we look so solid now. Lopata does make a massive difference as the leader of the back-line, and I think thatā€™s having a huge influence on Andeng Ndi. Collinā€™s confidence levels must be shooting up with these clean sheets and with a run of games in the team, and he made a smart save from a deflected shot, punched out everything delivered into the six-yard box and swept up everything on the edge of the penalty area. Heā€™s starting to look like he belongs in this team, not just a stop-gap, in my opinion.

Hobson, again, was absolutely outstanding and is another to benefit from Łopataā€™s leadership and organisation, even if his fine performances pre-date the Polish playerā€™s arrival this season. His decision-making is much-improved; there were a few times when he was under pressure that in the last heā€™dā€™ve dawdled on the ball and perhaps hit caught, but heā€™s not afraid now to clear long of out of play.

Ralph is also an asset out on the left, but he doesnā€™t get as much support from Kensdale as GSM gets from Hobson. I still think Kensdaleā€™s place in the team is vulnerable, and Lomas must be eager to earn his place back in the side. Heā€™s not doing much wrong, but he doesnā€™t look as imposing as his team-mates in the role heā€™s playing. Itā€™s a nice situation for the management team to have.

And, finally, a word for the management team. You could see the passion on their faces at the end of the game. It meant a lot to them. Hopefully this is the start of a really good run for us.
Excellent summary, thank you

Have to say as has already been mentioned the away support this club gets is bloody amazing considering how far down this club has fallen.
Taking 1100 fans yesterday to such a tinpot awful ground is bloody amazing and must give the players such a buzz to play in front of.
We have such a loyal fan base, and it makes me proud to see every time I go away.

Last edited:
Have to say as has already been mention the away support this club gets is bloody amazing considering how far down this club has fallen.
Taking 1100 fans yesterday to such a tinpot awful ground is bloody amazing and must give the player such a buzz to play in front off..
We have such a loyal fan base and its makes me proud to see every time I go away..
Totally agree with that, but I did think we were a bit subdued yesterday, certainly up until we scored.

Not sure why that would be, crap view perhaps?

Just 9 goals scored ! There's your problem - stating the bleeding obvious I know !
Agree, but with Dackers and Hyde now here and fit and Murphy and Cardwell to come back, Iā€™m confident that will sort itself out. If we can get Murphy fit I can see him scoring an absolute hatful with the chances weā€™ve been creating of late.

Great summary Exiled Shrimper. I thoroughly enjoyed the day obviously because we won. But I loved what Wealdstone have. Great friendly stewards, awful but it is what it is ground and tidy hard working team. If only sometimes they had not overplayed or not taken a second touch and put their foot through the ball we might have been in trouble. Few teams will come away with 3 points against them but we kept a decent team very quiet.
Never seen so many police but they will never have had such an easy shift. Good to see some were so untroubled they watched the game.
By the way loved the correct spelling of Lopata with the crossed L. How do you do that.

@Shrimper my understanding is the ground is very much a slow work in progress and kept to a sustainable budget based on a low regular home attendance of about 1000 on a good gate.
As a viewing platform it must be ranked as bottom or close to that in the NL. The changing rooms and "dugout" technical area ? must be grim on a wet, windy, February game?
This is where we are at, unfortunately.
I doubt the ground would pass as fit for FL.
things I found out yesterday about wealdstone....you need a 4000 capacity to be fit for NL football. The council haven't renewed or renegotiated they're 10 yr lease so they are hamstring in developing the ground and could need to look for another. They don't even have sprinklers. The pitch is watered by 3 hoses, which is why it was so dry.
Apparently col u are sniffing around they're manager but he wants good amount from his proper job at bt so he probably wouldn't be intetested.
The chairman has a bit of a RM trait in that he likes to be too involved and actually takes over things others are apparently better at (ie marketing).
They rely a lot on fan involvement for ground upkeep and have done most of what is possible with the lease situation.

I have an affinity with Wealdstone, my Grandfather was a season ticket holder for many years. He took me to see my first ever game in the early sixties, Wealdstone v Hendon. They had a nice ground in Wealdstone itself, Lower Mead, which is now a Supermarket. Very long story but a dodgy owner. They led a nomadic existence for quite some time. Wealdstone have done well to be where they are and are a genuine part time Club playing in a mostly professional League. I hope things work out for them.

Just read this for those who didnā€™t go

Hobson \ lopata combo is really coming on well. Can tell lopata is still gaining match fitness but we are very solid now at the back.
Liked how early kev got wreh on. Felt he added a lot strength in hold up play and has great tricky feet.
Comfortable with GSM or JD as both offer attacking options but I do like GSMs throw ons. Ralph is a huge added dimension to Tom c in every aspect.
Love collins confidence when coming out of his box and looks solid and unlikely to spill shots.
Hope cardwells return when properly match fit can be planned to coincide with dackers loan expiry. We seem to thriving on the added height and both cover well in defence when needed.
As always, the problem for players who miss 3 or more weeks of starting games is full match fitness. Be it cardwell, JD, taylor.... It's a huge increase in staying power going full on for 90 mins after muscle memory wears off. It's when simple strains occur.
Mom for me is a double act. I'll call it 'hobata'

Last edited:
Great summary Exiled Shrimper. I thoroughly enjoyed the day obviously because we won. But I loved what Wealdstone have. Great friendly stewards, awful but it is what it is ground and tidy hard working team. If only sometimes they had not overplayed or not taken a second touch and put their foot through the ball we might have been in trouble. Few teams will come away with 3 points against them but we kept a decent team very quiet.
Never seen so many police but they will never have had such an easy shift. Good to see some were so untroubled they watched the game.
By the way loved the correct spelling of Lopata with the crossed L. How do you do that.
Wealdstone are a proper club with a rich history; itā€™s just that that history is in non-league football. Ideally, Iā€™m sure they wouldnā€™t be playing at Grosvenor Vale, but itā€™s a quirky little ground that serves their needs, by and large, at the current time.

Itā€™s small, and that means when we turn up in such numbers itā€™s inadequate for our support in terms of facilities and food/drink queues snd even the viewing, just like Roots Hall is when 10,000-plus turn up. I feel much the same about Maidenhead, and it saddens me when our supporters describe these clubs as ā€˜tinpotā€™; a lot of people, mostly volunteers, put in a lot of work to get them and keep them where they are.

Totally agree about the stewarding snd policing. Not sure Iā€™ve come across such friendly stewards in a while, to be honest, and the police officers providing an escort back to the tube station seemed to be enjoying the experience as well. I think quite a few other clubs could learn from that.

Iā€™m using an iPhone to post; if you hold your finger on a letter you get alternative options. If using a computer, I just use Word and select the Ł from the symbols list and copy it across.

I thought their stewards and police were spot on,it really does make a difference, well done WFC.

Back