• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Maybe one for the older posters which I never thought I would find myself in that catergory at 27 but there you go.

Looking at both teams squads if you could have a starting 11 from the two promotions teams who would you go for.

I am having these bad boys

GK - Sammy - Just edges out Flavs for size
RB - Dean Austin - Best right back I have ever seen
LB - Chris Powell - Never be beaten in my eyes.
CB - Pat Scully - International
CB - Adam Barrett - Not as gifted as some but Blue to the core
RW - Andy Ansah - Goals and quality
LW - Thinnk Gower just edges Tilly in my book
CM - King Kev - Best Midfielder I have ever seen with us
CM - Peter Butler - Beats Dave Martin just
CF - Freddy Eastwood - Class
CF - Brett Angell - Poacher supreme.

Anyone beat this team of champions.
suspect.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (* ORM * @ Sep. 26 2006,10:11)]Not a bad first stab - take Austin (Francis), Scully (Paul Clark) and Barrett (Sodje) out of the line up and you're pretty much there.
Would you really have Francis over Austin.....

I was only young but I remember Austin as a fantastic defender who could get forward and provide cover....I really like Francis but dont class him anywhere near Deano yet.....

upside.gif

I used to think Austin was our weakest player.

He never used to pass it out of defence, always hoofing it.

Would probably take him over Francis at the moment though.

Gower over Tilson ? Not for me.

Angell and Eastwood up front, that would solve a few problems now !!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ Sep. 26 2006,10:05)]Maybe one for the older posters which I never thought I would find myself in that catergory at 27 but there you go.
I'm 25 and can compare them!!

GK - Paul SANSOME
RB - Dean AUSTIN
LB - Chris POWELL
CB - Paul CLARK
CB - Efe SODJE
RM - Andy ANSAH
LM - Steve TILSON
CM - Dave MARTIN
CM - Peter BUTLER
FW - Freddy EASTWOOD
FW - Brett ANGELL

Subs:

Adam BARRETT, Darryl FLAHAVAN (GK), Kevin MAHER, Mark GOWER, Ian BENJAMIN

Just to add it's a shame Eastwood didn't come in the same era as Brett Angell as I think they'd have been perfect for each other (as would Benji with Freddy in the Goat role).

I'll certainly not disagree that he was a fantastic player for the club and a snip at (I think) 10K from St Albans. Frankly I was amazed when Spurs bought him and even more amazed when he played top flight football so on that basis I may have to concede one back to you.

However I think Francis has started off fantastically. Out of all the new signings has definitely cemented a place in the team and has the potential to go much higher.

With his height I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the possibility of trying him in a centre-back berth (the thought's only just occured to me as well).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Angell Delight @ Sep. 26 2006,10:27)]I'm 25 and can compare them!!

CB - Paul CLARK
Clarke didnt play in the 1st Division, his last season was 90/91 when we got promoted from Division 3 so its hard to compare him to those playing now.

Did use to like him though.

Orm, I agree totally I was flabbergasted when Spurs bought Austin I thought he was run of the mill and totally outshadowed by Chris Powell who didnt leave for a few years after Austin.

Amazing how perceptions differ, I always thought we had two fantastic full backs in the Webb era and the fact they both had reletively decent careers in the top flight would support this. In fact I seem to remember fans being disgruntled at how little we got for him when people like David Kersklake were going for more....

Sansome would just edge Flavs for the height, but its a close thing. Id take a young Prior and Scully over our current centre backs. Ansah would definately be on the right....JCR could learn a lot from his directness and ability to chip in with goals. Gower this season would just edge Tilly (though Tilly and Powell were a good combo) and Id take Maher and Butler (though would have Keith Jones over Butler if he counted seeing he was signed just into first season at this level).

Upfront Angell and Eastwood should be good for 35 goals...especially with the winger play.

So the Webb team definately edges it. Id say the back up would be predominatly Tillys team though. I can barely remember who the back up strikers were should Benji and Brett be injured (Andy Sussex pushing up from midfield where I thought he was better)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (number11 @ Sep. 26 2006,11:29)]I can barely remember who the back up strikers were should Benji and Brett be injured (Andy Sussex pushing up from midfield where I thought he was better)
Adam Locke.

No one has mentioned Ricky Otto!!

I remember one chant something along the lines:

"His got flair and funny hair Ricky Otto"!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Sep. 26 2006,11:44)]No one has mentioned Ricky Otto!!

That's because he was in Fat frys team, and this is Webbs vs Tillys team....
upside.gif

Ah, its safe to return to the main board.

Sammy - more commanding than Darryl
Austin - although Francis has the potential to be better, he's not there yet
Powell - although he lost his place to Sloppy Hyslop during the promotion season, so it might not be as clearcut as some think when they judge him on his later performances
Clark - Barrett might be a legend, but so was this man
Prior - edges out Efe
Butler - an incredibly tough call for the holding man role between Butler, Maher and Keith Jones. I could make arguments for all 3.
Bentley - the others mentioned above may be better players, but Benno would better balance the team. Edges out Dave Martin. Guttridge has so far this season played himself out of contention for this role.
Ansah - what JCR should aspire to.
Tilson - our current team could really do with the balance that he provided
Eastwood - first name on the team sheet?
Benjamin - the best foil for Freddy

Subs:

Royce - might not have played under Webby but was reserve keeper and is more decisive than Darryl
Sodje - solid centre half
Hunt - owes his position on the bench to his versatility, but is a real class act. A class above John Cornwall, his equivalent in the Webb era.
Gower - another class act, but I liked the balance Tilly and Ansah added to the midfield: Ansah playing almost as a forward and Tilly able to play as a central midfielder.
Angell - not in Eastwood's class, but a goal threat and what a sub to be able to chuck on when you are chasing the game - especially if you want to go aerial.

I think our current group of players are individually more talented and pass the ball better but I love the balance that Webby's team had. We probably have better players at the moment and a deeper squad, but that Webb team was precisely that: a team. Hopefully with time, our current team will start to gel.

Brettie Angell nearly didn't make the bench - I was contemplating putting the Goat ahead of him. He was another one who wasn't always an automatic pick - at times during our promotion season Ooh Andy Ansah went up front and Locke went wide right.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Einstein @ Sep. 26 2006,11:57)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Clarky_Blues @ Sep. 26 2006,11:44)]No one has mentioned Ricky Otto!!

That's because he was in Fat frys team, and this is Webbs vs Tillys team....  
upside.gif
Very true and I shall get my coat! Always read the question before answering - I was once told at school!

Back