• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Webpage question

Pubey

to all the nerds out there.

In Firefox each bookmark has its own little logo/image in the toolbar (So SZ has the football, Facebook has the F logo, etc etc). When building a website how do I assign an image to do this job. I searched google but couldnt really find anything about this.

Cheers

Jon

Last edited:
to all the nerds out there.

In Firefox each bookmark has it's on little logo/image in the toolbar (So SZ has the football, Facebook has the F logo, etc etc). When building a website how do I assign an image to do this job. I searched google but couldnt really find anything about this.

Cheers

Jon

I think they are called favicon's.
I'm pretty sure you can download some free software to make them, and then I think you have to paste the html coding into your website, but whereabouts I'm not too sure.

Not done any web stuff in quite a while, but this may work in the HEAD tags:

<LINK REL="SHORTCUT ICON" HREF="/root_directory/logo.ico">

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can download some free software to make them, and then I think you have to paste the html coding into your website, but whereabouts I'm not too sure.

Again, the caveat that I'm extremely rusty on this, but I think you'd need to save your icon image as favicon.ico in the site's root directory. I believe the web browser automatically looks for this file on each visit. This would have the advantage in that you wouldn't need to add any code.

The original favicon feature was created by Microsoft for Internet Explorer which would request a favicon from a set URL (/favicon.ico) in the root directory of every website. Microsoft's supported format for the link tag did not conform to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) HTML recommendation [3] because:

* The rel attribute must contain a space-delimited list of link types, so a two-word link type would not be understood correctly by conforming web browsers. (viz. rel="shortcut icon")
* The ".ico" file format (a raster format used for icons on Microsoft Windows) did not have a registered MIME type and wasn't likely to be automatically understood by most web browsers. In 2003, however, the format was registered with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) under the MIME type image/vnd.microsoft.icon, eliminating the first part of this problem.
* The use of a reserved location on a website conflicts with the Architecture of the World Wide Web and is known as link squatting or URI squatting.

In addition, older versions of Internet Explorer only recognised the favicon when the page was bookmarked, and failed to display when merely visiting it.

The Mozilla Firefox web browser added support for favicons in a way that conformed to web standards through the use of rel="icon" and letting web designers add favicons in any of the following three graphics formats:

* ICO
* GIF
* PNG

The following shows the corresponding link tags, using examples, for HTML and XHTML.

HTML:

* <link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="http://example.com/image.ico">
* <link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="http://example.com/image.gif">
* <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://example.com/image.png">

XHTML:

* <link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="/somepath/image.ico" />
* <link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="/somepath/image.gif" />
* <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/somepath/image.png" />

Yeah it's simply put just:

<link rel="icon" type="image/png(<-format)" href="locationfromwhereyouare(e.g./images/favicon.png" />

If you need any help just gimme a holla and I'll do what I can.

The original favicon feature was created by Microsoft for Internet Explorer which would request a favicon from a set URL (/favicon.ico) in the root directory of every website. Microsoft's supported format for the link tag did not conform to the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) HTML recommendation [3] because:

* The rel attribute must contain a space-delimited list of link types, so a two-word link type would not be understood correctly by conforming web browsers. (viz. rel="shortcut icon")
* The ".ico" file format (a raster format used for icons on Microsoft Windows) did not have a registered MIME type and wasn't likely to be automatically understood by most web browsers. In 2003, however, the format was registered with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) under the MIME type image/vnd.microsoft.icon, eliminating the first part of this problem.
* The use of a reserved location on a website conflicts with the Architecture of the World Wide Web and is known as link squatting or URI squatting.

In addition, older versions of Internet Explorer only recognised the favicon when the page was bookmarked, and failed to display when merely visiting it.

The Mozilla Firefox web browser added support for favicons in a way that conformed to web standards through the use of rel="icon" and letting web designers add favicons in any of the following three graphics formats:

* ICO
* GIF
* PNG

The following shows the corresponding link tags, using examples, for HTML and XHTML.

HTML:

* <link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="http://example.com/image.ico">
* <link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="http://example.com/image.gif">
* <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="http://example.com/image.png">

XHTML:

* <link rel="icon" type="image/vnd.microsoft.icon" href="/somepath/image.ico" />
* <link rel="icon" type="image/gif" href="/somepath/image.gif" />
* <link rel="icon" type="image/png" href="/somepath/image.png" />

I knew that :dim:

Just make them in photoshop, if you need me to make you one quickly Pubester let me know.

Back