• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I assume am last back given none of our Spanish, Canadian etc Shrimpers made this one.

Suffolk ain't that far from the Memorial Ground, but my visit to Brizzle was a bit 'engineered'. With three kids finding the time and justification for long away trips isn't easy so it helps if I can blame it on work. On seeing the draw for Brizzle I managed to fix a trip for the Tues afternoon to a client (pension trustees meeting...someone has to do it) in West London. The meeting surprisingly ended in record time, so was on the Chiswick flyover coming out of London at 5.00, few jams so to Brizzle by 6.30 in good time.

But that meeting alone would not have been sufficient, so another client was found needing a meeting for today, this time in Southampton. Brizzle was naturally directly on the way from West London. Anyway, after an overnight stay in Bath, the meeting on the South Coast eventually ended at 3.30pm and eventually got back here at just after 7pm.

Definitely worth it. Shan't be able to claim the ticket on expenses but should be able to cover the petrol.

Anyone else got stories of contriving excuses etc to help them get to a game?

If the team could construct moves as smooth and deceitful as that we'd score 5 goals every game.

Glad to see we still have the craftiest fans!

smile.gif
laugh.gif

Glad someone else works like me! I was at the Swansea game - managed to arrange a meeting in Cardiff that Friday!

In previous seasons work trips have fortuitously (
tounge.gif
) coincided with away games in Boston, Kidderminster (twice!), Chester, Scunthorpe, York and Bristol Rovers!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Suffolk Shrimper @ Feb. 16 2005,21:41)]Anyone else got stories of contriving excuses etc to help them get to a game?
I've had a number of jobs where I've beeen able to travel around fairly flexibly and as most of my employers have known my allegience I really never bothered with the excuses.  One head office was in Hull, which made all the A1 clubs like Lincoln etc an easy overnight expenses hotel stopover.  Well it's best to be rested if you've organised 8.30am meetings up there!  
smile.gif

Several years ago I found out on the day before that we were playing Bournemouth in a friendly.  Trotted into my boss to explain that I just had to urgently go to our site near Southampton.  Skived off early the next day, to pick up my Cherries supporting mate who unfortunately lived in Portsmouth & didn't drive!  

So Pompey & back through Soton it was, only to be told by him that the game wasn't at Dean Court it was over at Swanage & Herston's ground.  As we hadn't planned on the additional journey this meant an overseas trip, well the chain ferry at Sandbanks, to save time but of course neither of us knew where we were going so we followed the bloke in front to who we thought had a S&H sticker in the back.  Luckily enough he wasn't going home etc & we arrived just in time.  Can't remember what happened!  Probably did a couple of hours in Eastleigh before meandering home the next day.

Sh*t that's nearly as boring at the Bart vs Darryl debate!  
biggrin.gif

Back