• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Weds March 10th - Winding Up Order

Court 76

East Block
Main Building

Before

REGISTRAR DERRETT

on

Wednesday 10 March 2010

ROBED

Not before 11:00 am​

22181 /2009 The Southend United Football Club Limited

See, even the courts know we're being robed by Ron Martin Esq

So can anyone explain WTF is actually happening today.

As I see it HMRC issued anothing winding up order, as the club has held back around £200,000 in PAYE monies. This is because RM believes the club overpaid by this amount, when the original £2.15m debt was settled a while back. As such the club issues a cross claim to the Tribunals Service. This was heard in court on Feb 10th, at which point it was adjourned for another 28 days. Which brings us to today...

So surely it is unlikely another adjournment will happen?

A decision must be made today by the judge?

Or perhaps RM and HMRC have kissed and made up and reached agreement out of court?

As I see it HMRC issued anothing winding up order, as the club has held back around £200,000 in PAYE monies. This is because RM believes the club overpaid by this amount, when the original £2.15m debt was settled a while back. As such the club issues a cross claim to the Tribunals Service. This was heard in court on Feb 10th, at which point it was adjourned for another 28 days. Which brings us to today...

So surely it is unlikely another adjournment will happen?

A decision must be made today by the judge?

Or perhaps RM and HMRC have kissed and made up and reached agreement out of court?

I must admit i don't know all the fine details, but i think it goes a little something like this.

I'd assume the better all round solution would be if they've agreed how to deal with it out of court. Hopefully they've agreed a compromise out of court, but this could still mean we owe £200k and have been given maybe an extra month(s) to come up with it.

If it does go to court, i wouldn't think they'd have another ajournment (but it is possible). I would assume it'll be one of these outcomes

1) Ron is correct, and proves HMRC are wrong that's the end of it.

2) Ron is proven wrong by HMRC, and we have to stump up £200k

The more worrying points, if the judge rules in favour if HMRC, IIRC they can pretty much impose what ever kind of punishment they want on us, i.e. Administration or liquidation. As noted before, we're a continual nuisance for HMRC and they could push for the most extreme punishment. I would like to think they'll give us a deadline to come up with the money, but tbh anything's possible.

Am I right in thinking that Ron is not querying the amount of tax HMRC want but administration fees that HMRC have added to the bill. I can't see how he is going to get off them, especially when he describes HMRC as a bank! Will be very interesting.

Last edited:
If it turns out we do owe HMRC money I reckon Ron Martin will whip out a cheque book and say 'Can I pay now?'.

Just like the Ace Face in Quadraphenia.

Am I right in thinking that Ron is not querying the amount of tax HMRC want but administration fees that HMRC have added to the bill. I can't see how he is going to get off them, especially when he describes HMRC as a bank! Will be very interesting.

Yes it is surcharges that are being disputed.

This has happened before and and we won.

Last edited:

I can't see that happening, can you imagine on the steps of the High Court..

The Taxman: 'You owe me £200k.'
Ron: 'No, you owe me £200k.'
Taxman: 'You owe me..'
Ron: 'No, you owe me..'
Taxman: 'Alright, call it 100k, and in return Ill get you some hair products on the sly, We've just liquidated Toni and Guy. What do you say?'
Ron, Spits on hand 'Put it there.' They shake hands. 'Now, who's buying the first round.....'

Back