• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Interesting set of games this weekend for the top 5 teams ........ all are at home.

Burton at home to 17th placed Oxford
Shrewsbury at home to play-off hopefuls Wimbledon
Wycombe at home to Newport - Newport are sometimes good and sometimes .......
Southend v mid-table Accrington
Luton at home to 19th place (but improving) Carlisle

Accrington are no mugs and how they manage to survive in this league on their budget is quite remarkable but we are all hoping for three points come 5 o'clock on Saturday. Was it last season we lost to them after an early goal (or was that Morecambe?) or was it the year before when we dominated the game and then conceded a goal in the last minute to end with a draw. Either way Accers are no mugs.

But I think (and hope) some of the other games could be draws. Fingers crossed.

The interesting times/weekends will continue until the end of the season as it appears nearly every team will have something to play for up to the last kick; especially if Hartlepool can start putting a run together and close the gap at the bottom. It is an unusual season where no team has broken away and stormed the league.
The likes of Cheltenham will be looking behind them for sure as they are, IMO, about the most dysfunctional side seen at the Hall this season.

My stab at the outcomes of these matches:

Burton to beat Oxford
Shrewsbury to draw with Wimbledon (probably equalising in the 95th minute)
Wycombe to thrash Newport
Southend to beat Stanley
Luton to draw with Carlisle

If at the moment we are working on the assumption of 3 teams out of 5 , my feeling is that Shrewsbury are the least likely to implode.
I think Burton are solid , but nothing special.
Luton have done well and see them on a par with us.
Despite getting hammered by them , I think Wycombe are the least likely......

So for me right now , it's us , Burton and Luton for 2 places.

Having said that though , football is indeed a funny old game as someone once said , so let's buckle up and enjoy the ride !

I dont see us making up a lot of ground this Saturday unfortunately.

Hoping for a shock or two though.

We have 54 points - and 16 games left. It's not for me but I am sure there are people that will have a look and see how we can get the remaining 26 points (or so) that we need.

I reckon that is around 1.6 points per game or better expressed as 3.2 points over two games - meaning a home win and an away draw (with 4 points) will push us ahead of target.

But then that is the same for all the top 5 teams.

There is twist and turn to come! We still have Wycombe & Luton at home and Burton away. If we can get at least 6 pts from 3 games, we are on our way up and wave bye bye to Orient & Col Ewes as we goes past them!

There is twist and turn to come! We still have Wycombe & Luton at home and Burton away. If we can get at least 6 pts from 3 games, we are on our way up and wave bye bye to Orient & Col Ewes as we goes past them!

Well - that is a very good point. It just could be that next season all our most local teams will be in the 4th Division - Daggers, Gillingham, Colchester and Orient ............. even Crawley and Cambridge aren't that too far away ..........wouldn't it be a shame to be promoted at the same time ......:unsure:

Well - that is a very good point. It just could be that next season all our most local teams will be in the 4th Division - Daggers, Gillingham, Colchester and Orient ............. even Crawley and Cambridge aren't that too far away ..........wouldn't it be a shame to be promoted at the same time ......:unsure:

would rather be in League 1 than stuck in league 2 with that lot!

Back