• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kenny

Thailand Shrimper
I couldn't make Northampton last weekend but found some local football to watch as Khon Kaen FC took on FC Phuket. The standard was pretty **** poor but the crowd (about 2500 - 3000) were really vociferous and it helped create a good atmosphere in the ground despite the sometimes haphazard action on the pitch.

KK's star import was a blonde Argentine by the name of Matias upfront. Total donkey but everytime he even got a sniff of the ball the crowd started screaming. He chipped in with the winning goal to elevate his cult status in these parts.

01-DSC02114.jpg

02-DSC02138.jpg

a shirt Phil Brown would be proud of

03-DSC02143.jpg

halftime prize - a washing machine.

04-DSC02146.jpg

05-DSC02153.jpg

Last edited:
while initially opposition bookings were met with polite applause from the natives they soon got restless when their Cameroonian no.10 was sent off after the Phuket Left Back took a dive. The crowd then went a bit nuts and in the words of Danny Dyer some of them started to get "a bit naughty" with the oppo Left Back becoming slightly more than a pantomime villain in the piece.

Also I noted the opposition appeared to have a member of the Akinfenwa family playing up top.

After the final whistle the team did a lap of honour with polite bows to each section of the crowd. While the football itself was bad I'm not going to grumble too much paying 2 quid to get in so will try and catch another game there, I may go for the cheap section at £1.50 where all the Ultras seem to be with the big flag and drums.

06-DSC02157.jpg

07-DSC02162.jpg

7-2013-08-17 18.35.37.jpg

08-DSC02169.jpg

09-DSC02180.jpg

£2 damn ive been outdone for cheapest game,best weather,best ladyboys and cheapest hookers award.
What are you doing in Thailand Kenneth?

For the good weather, cheap football, best ladyboys and cheap hookers I would imagine. I'd be very disappointed if it's for anything else.

The Thai League was held back a while because Thailand was in the clutches of Delta, fans have been allowed back in recently, albeit with a 25% cap at the moment.

Last edited:
Thai football away weekends usually give the opportunity to make a weekend getaway out of it instead of just going to the match and coming home straight afterwards.

Last year we went to Prachuap in Southern Thailand. On Matchday, we got up and climbed a small mountain with some monkeys to check out the great view, and then after lunch at the beach, we went over to the stadium to see the football match between PT Prachuap and Port FC.

The standard of the Thai League? Some of the foreign players from Brazil and Africa could probably do a job in League 1/2, but most of the homegrown Thai players would probably be Conference South or lower still. Aly Sissoko (ex-Villa and Liverpool) is currently playing for a cashed up team in the North of Thailand.

Ports "star" signing this year was Ben Davis from Oxford on a 1 year loan. He came through the ranks at Fulham before signing for Oxford, they only used him sparingly in the Papa Johns cup and he's already fallen down the pecking order over here. I can't see him ever being near the Oxford first team...unless it's Oxford City.

Last edited:
Thai football away weekends usually give the opportunity to make a weekend getaway out of it instead of just going to the match and coming home away.

Last year we went to Prachuap in Southern Thailand. On Matchday, we got up and climbed a small mountain with some monkeys to check out the great view, and then after lunch at the beach, we went over to the stadium to see the football match between PT Prachuap and Port FC.

The standard of the Thai League? Some of the foreign players from Brazil and Africa could probably do a job in League 1/2, but most of the homegrown Thai players would probably be Conference South or lower still. Aly Sissoko (ex-Villa and Liverpool) is currently playing for a cashed up team in the North of Thailand.

Ports "star" signing this year was Ben Davis from Oxford on a 1 year loan. He came through the ranks at Fulham before signing for Oxford, they only used him sparingly in the Papa Johns cup and he's already fallen down the pecking order over here. I can't see him ever being near the Oxford first team...unless it's Oxford City.

Since my trip to Bangkok last year and buying a Port FC shirt, I have been following them and watched the game in the co on Wednesday.

Gutted I didn't get to a game out there as I think it was during a mid-season break. I absolutely loved Bangkok so a visit to watch Port may still be on the cards!

Thai football away weekends usually give the opportunity to make a weekend getaway out of it instead of just going to the match and coming home away.

Hope you're well Kenny mate!!

Since my trip to Bangkok last year and buying a Port FC shirt, I have been following them and watched the game in the co on Wednesday.

Gutted I didn't get to a game out there as I think it was during a mid-season break. I absolutely loved Bangkok so a visit to watch Port may still be on the cards!

They are the darling team for expats because for a 10 million people city, Port is the only downtown team. And Khlong Toey (where the stadium is), it's a very working-class area near the docks, with slums not too far from the stadium. Of the other Bangkok teams, Bangkok Utd are based miles out of Bangkok, as are Muangthong. Army Utd used to be popular but were folded up a few years ago. Bangkok Glass also miles out of Bangkok and have even rebranded the team to remove the work Bangkok from the team name now. The Thai football season used to run Feb-October but now they've changed it to Aug-May to make it more in-line with European footy, plus it means the back end of the season should play out in dry season!

Hope you're well Kenny mate!!

Hopping back to UK for a quick visit in April, hoping to catch the Daggers match or maybe Maidstone. Last home game I saw was a 4-1 defeat against Wimbledon in 2019, I wondered if things could get any worse back then, how wrong I was!

Off to Bangkok at the end of the month for a weekend 7s Tourney. Unbelievably after 11 years it will be the first time apart from transits.

It may well also finally be my footballing swan song. Every time I play now I seem to get injured. Nursing a bruised ankle from yesterday evening.

Back