• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There are no certainties in anything.

Over the course of the season we have had people clammering for Jack Payne to play, he was played which actually meant us sticking with the lone striker, we have changed to 442 because it would help strikers, and it certainly helped Corr, but Pigott and Cassidy have scored a grand total of 1 goal between them in the last 10 matches, so it hasnt helped them.

Its all very well saying after 4 wins thats how we should have done it all season, yet the 10 games previous saw only 3 wins in 10.

All that actually matters is the end result, 80+ points is a good return and no compared to the 3 who go up we werent good enough, and even now I dont think we are the level of the top 3. Im not going to slaughter Brown for only getting 80+ points (if thats what we get).

Lets hope we are good enough, and have some momentum, to do well in the play-offs.

Does the quality of this division really change that much year to year?

Im not congratulating Brown for anything, if we fail to go up there is no cause for celebration, but same as when Sturrock got 83 points I think its reasonable to acknowlegde the achievement.

Since the inception of League Two, the top three side have accumulated this number of points:-

2004/5.............243 points
2005/6.............250 points
2006/7.............262 points (3rd place 85 points)
2007/8.............277 points (3rd place 88 points)
2008/9.............242 points
2009/10...........258 points
2010/11...........247 points
2011/12...........265 points (3rd place 84 points)
2012/13...........240 points
2013/14...........246 points
2014/15...........247 points already! and they still have ten games to play. Certainly looks as though it's going to be a
VERY high total this season.......equally true for third place.

Two things. Firstly, do the seasons 11/12, 07/08, 06/07 indicate that the top three sides were very strong or that the division was rather weak? Secondly, if we hadn't had the disruption of changing manager would Paul Sturrock have got us promoted in what seemed a far easier season of 2012/3?
The one thing we can state with some certainty, is that we have had the mal chance to go for promotion in two of the the four seasons of this league, when the total points gained have been very high

Don't forget there are 23 other teams in this division, seems to me a top 7 place and the play offs with a chance of promotion is pretty good. Of course some fans aren't happy unless we are beating every team 10-0.

Don't forget there are 23 other teams in this division, seems to me a top 7 place and the play offs with a chance of promotion is pretty good. Of course some fans aren't happy unless we are beating every team 10-0.
Some people arenot happy with life and football is just an excuse to moan and bitch, that is something out of their control

UTS

Rubbish !

If the team were allowed to play such as last night then nobody would have moaned on here,playing 451 was utter madness and sent many fans into a frenzy.

I have always said this team should be top 3 if allowed to play.

You should be manager then!

Some people arenot happy with life and football is just an excuse to moan and bitch, that is something out of their control

UTS

A lot of so called 'moaning and bitching' is an exchange of views. Just because their view is different to yours it does not make them wrong or 'unhappy with life.'

Whats the point of a forum if varied views are not proffered?

This will be the second successive season Brown has got us in the playoffs. That deserves a lot of credit given the teams who come down from League 1 and those who come flying out of the Conference.

Especially Luton, who are sponsored by EasyJet!

Since the inception of League Two, the top three side have accumulated this number of points:-

2004/5.............243 points
2005/6.............250 points
2006/7.............262 points (3rd place 85 points)
2007/8.............277 points (3rd place 88 points)
2008/9.............242 points
2009/10...........258 points
2010/11...........247 points
2011/12...........265 points (3rd place 84 points)
2012/13...........240 points
2013/14...........246 points
2014/15...........247 points already! and they still have ten games to play. Certainly looks as though it's going to be a
VERY high total this season.......equally true for third place.

Two things. Firstly, do the seasons 11/12, 07/08, 06/07 indicate that the top three sides were very strong or that the division was rather weak? Secondly, if we hadn't had the disruption of changing manager would Paul Sturrock have got us promoted in what seemed a far easier season of 2012/3?
The one thing we can state with some certainty, is that we have had the mal chance to go for promotion in two of the the four seasons of this league, when the total points gained have been very high

Good stats would be nice to see all the 3rd place points as I'm sure that some of them were as low as 78 points and then maybe the 4th place points to see actually how many points were needed for 3rd place.

UTS

Haha,

Dread to think what you make of the nutters who scream abuse during games ?

Especially Luton, who are sponsored by EasyJet!

Last 6 winners in Conference - Burton, Stevenage, Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield & Luton.

Last 6 promotion - 2nd place - in Conference - Torquay, Oxford, Wimbledon, York, Newport, Cambridge

None have been relegated, all have been competitive, and 3 have been promoted.

This should be 4, and maybe 5, if Luton and Newport make the playoffs.

I'd argue that Conference teams, when promoted, are more competitive than any other teams in the pyramid that get promoted.

Last 6 winners in Conference - Burton, Stevenage, Crawley, Fleetwood, Mansfield & Luton.

Last 6 promotion - 2nd place - in Conference - Torquay, Oxford, Wimbledon, York, Newport, Cambridge

None have been relegated, all have been competitive, and 3 have been promoted.

This should be 4, and maybe 5, if Luton and Newport make the playoffs.

I'd argue that Conference teams, when promoted, are more competitive than any other teams in the pyramid that get promoted.

I think you'll find Torquay have been relegated........

Don't expect the brown out brigade to have any praise for Brown. We are only 5th in the league and looking likely to equal or beat our best ever points tally in this league in SPITE of Brown.

Totally with your point, but it's not accurate to portray that 85 points as being the highest ever points tally for us at this level. On a like for like basis in 1981 we finished with 97 points (30 wins, 7 draws).

Interestingly the following season when it was switched to 3 points for a win, Wigan finished 3rd with 91 points! Under the current playoff system, Bournemouth in 4th with 88 points could have ended up staying down, whilst seeing Port Vale in 7th go up with 18 points fewer over the season!

Always wonder what evidence people have to prove that we should be in the top 3 of it wasn't for Brown. Unlike the premier league we don't get to watch extended highlights of the other 23 teams in the league each week so how can you know that we are the best team in the league?

What was interesting about last night is that it was the most Phil Brown team he's picked.

I think Timlin was the only Sturrock signing. With Bentley coming up through the youths. The remaining 9 of the starting line-up were all signed by Brown (or Ron in Barrett's case).

There's still a transient feel about his teams and indeed his managerial reign at Roots Hall though. I'm not sure how many of that side will be starting in August.

Always wonder what evidence people have to prove that we should be in the top 3 of it wasn't for Brown. Unlike the premier league we don't get to watch extended highlights of the other 23 teams in the league each week so how can you know that we are the best team in the league?

Spot on southendkid. One of the prize clowns on here suggested we were the best then openly admitted they didn't know anything about any of the other teams in the division and it was none of their concern.

as i have said before a manager lives and dies by his results so he has done well. every fan thinks they know more than the manager i know i do

Think this quote from one of the Portsmouth lot on their forum sums it up really:
"Sav, there is not a realistic choice out there that would please all fans. Hes done ok with southend this season so with a bit of backing here i think he would do ok. One of those that people aint too keen on but like when he is your boss.

I did see some southend fans moaning about the football they play. But 5th in the league and keeping clean sheets for fun i wouldnt have minded that this season."
Being realistic, there's another 19 sets of fans in the league who would swap their season for ours. We're not a 'big club' and we're certainly not too big for this league. If we were, we wouldn't have spent the last God knows how many seasons in League 2. Yes we get frustrated, as do all football fans, but a bit of perspective from the boo boys is much needed.

What was interesting about last night is that it was the most Phil Brown team he's picked.

I think Timlin was the only Sturrock signing. With Bentley coming up through the youths. The remaining 9 of the starting line-up were all signed by Brown (or Ron in Barrett's case).

There's still a transient feel about his teams and indeed his managerial reign at Roots Hall though. I'm not sure how many of that side will be starting in August.

Interesting points.....the team in August will depend on which division we are in. Brown has used a core of sturrock signings during his time mainly because they are good players....Timlin and corr in particular but the likes of hurst, Lenny, prosser while good league two players are not quite up to the task of getting us promoted. I do think brown will be gone if we do not go up this season. Whether or not that's the right thing to do I have no idea. I've said previously I like brown we do so much right as a team.

Back