• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The main difference last night was that Newport came to play, that allowed our players far more freedom and movement. I think Phil got it pretty much spot on.

Explain why Payne cant play in a 442 system , im sure he himself would like to know also,i think its ridiculous to say he cant play in a 442 system

Because in a 4-4-2 system the midfielders need to be tracking back to make tackles and defend when the opposition has the ball. Payne can't defend and would be a risk in a 4-4-2 system. In a 4-5-1 system this isn't as big an issue because Payne can stay forward whilst the other 2 CMs track back.

Because in a 4-4-2 system the midfielders need to be tracking back to make tackles and defend when the opposition has the ball. Payne can't defend and would be a risk in a 4-4-2 system. In a 4-5-1 system this isn't as big an issue because Payne can stay forward whilst the other 2 CMs track back.

Which is a total myth as he was put on Ryan Woods, who is arguably one of the best midfielders in the league, away to Shrewbury and came out on top. Payne hasn't really been given a chance in a 4-4-2, everyone just assumes he can only play in the hole and can't defend because of his size. I don't buy it.

I don't see this because Payne can be the one to stay up. Corr defends very well so should always go back. In my opinion, you want one of your quickest players staying up and Payne fits that bill very well.

I don't see this because Payne can be the one to stay up. Corr defends very well so should always go back. In my opinion, you want one of your quickest players staying up and Payne fits that bill very well.

Agreed,

Jack is one of those rare talents and if used correctly will play higher up the ladder,his game isn't about defending,his game is about attacking their third and popping up with goals.Second top scorer ain't bad.

Which is a total myth as he was put on Ryan Woods, who is arguably one of the best midfielders in the league, away to Shrewbury and came out on top. Payne hasn't really been given a chance in a 4-4-2, everyone just assumes he can only play in the hole and can't defend because of his size. I don't buy it.

I have been a fan of Payne, but I do think that at this level he is a luxury (at this moment of his career). Whilst he has sparkled in some games, in others he has got lost. This is not a slight on him. In my opinion currently, in a 442 I would prefer to see my middle 2 being one of the usual Deegan, Lenny, Timlin even Atkinson, because for me, they are stronger in that position. Payne could be an excellent game changer.

This midweek game I would say why currently Deegan deserves his place. I love Deegan, but in the first half he was awful. Couldnt get a tackle in, his passes were wayward and he could nt stand on his feet. However, he probaly gave himself an ear bashing at half, because in the second half he was immense. We needed that type of power in the second half and at the moment, he can give us that and Payne cant, because Payne is not that type of player. For the other midfield berth, I would always have Timlin. People talk about Barrett being a natural leader, maybe yes because of raw passion, however for me, if White wasnt on the pitch, for me its all about Timlin. He literrally arranges and organises everything. He is vocal and talking to people, one on one during the game. He understands football. We have to keep Timlin, no matter what league we are in in my eyes !

Not against Bury. Cost Bentley his last goal conceded at RH. Hope Dan can forgive him:winking:

I asked the question because Payne everyone says likes to take on a man when he has the ball ,if thats true then i cant see why he wouldnt be able to play out as a wide man /winger in a 442 system , he also delivers a ball well its said.

I asked the question because Payne everyone says likes to take on a man when he has the ball ,if thats true then i cant see why he wouldnt be able to play out as a wide man /winger in a 442 system , he also delivers a ball well its said.

Maybe he could become a wide man, but I see Payne as more of an "eye for a pass player", rather than a "get to the byline and cross it in" type player.

Payne, for me, is in the mould of a Peter Beardsley (as a side issue how much would he be worth today, such an intelligent player), and therefore, if anything, I could see him playing up top with a big man alongside him, rather than out wide.

Jack is one of those rare talents and if used correctly will play higher up the ladder,his game isn't about defending,his game is about attacking their third and popping up with goals.Second top scorer ain't bad.

I'm not sure he will play higher up. I don't dispute he has some talent, but teams play 4-4-2 in the lower leagues and he doesn't fit into that. If he were a few inches bigger it may be different. I rather suspect he'll end up on the local non league circuit.

I'm not sure he will play higher up. I don't dispute he has some talent, but teams play 4-4-2 in the lower leagues and he doesn't fit into that. If he were a few inches bigger it may be different. I rather suspect he'll end up on the local non league circuit.

I would be shocked stunned and amazed if Jack played non league,far too good for that standard.He has proved this season he can play and score goals in the rough and tumble of this division so I expect him to play higher as long as he continues to work hard in training.Would not surprise me if he moved in the summer.

I have been a fan of Payne, but I do think that at this level he is a luxury (at this moment of his career). Whilst he has sparkled in some games, in others he has got lost. This is not a slight on him. In my opinion currently, in a 442 I would prefer to see my middle 2 being one of the usual Deegan, Lenny, Timlin even Atkinson, because for me, they are stronger in that position. Payne could be an excellent game changer.

This midweek game I would say why currently Deegan deserves his place. I love Deegan, but in the first half he was awful. Couldnt get a tackle in, his passes were wayward and he could nt stand on his feet. However, he probaly gave himself an ear bashing at half, because in the second half he was immense. We needed that type of power in the second half and at the moment, he can give us that and Payne cant, because Payne is not that type of player. For the other midfield berth, I would always have Timlin. People talk about Barrett being a natural leader, maybe yes because of raw passion, however for me, if White wasnt on the pitch, for me its all about Timlin. He literrally arranges and organises everything. He is vocal and talking to people, one on one during the game. He understands football. We have to keep Timlin, no matter what league we are in in my eyes !

TTS, I agree with every word of that :thumbsup:especially Timlin. I was watching him on Tuesday night and some of his passes could have been gamechangers (if others had got on the end of them!!) His vision is so much better than a lot of other players and his voice is the one I can always hear, organising and encouraging everyone. I love Barrett but was quite surprised to see him given the captain's armband when White went off as I thought it should definitely go to Timlin as it should on Sat if White is not back.

He is a few inches bigger than Oztumer, who has made 19 appearances for Peterborough this season. Size should have nothing to do with it. If he is getting muscled off the ball then he will have to learn to get his body in between the ball and the defender and not just become Akinfenwa.

Players should be competent in at least 2 positions IMO, and I think Payne could do well in a wide position or even as a forward in the false 9 role.

He is a few inches bigger than Oztumer, who has made 19 appearances for Peterborough this season. Size should have nothing to do with it. If he is getting muscled off the ball then he will have to learn to get his body in between the ball and the defender and not just become Akinfenwa.

Players should be competent in at least 2 positions IMO, and I think Payne could do well in a wide position or even as a forward in the false 9 role.

Good call,

Jack's low centre of gravity is a massive plus point which would give bruising lumbering centre backs a headache.

WTF are you suggesting Corr plays in central midfield and Payne up front?

I wouldn't be overly surprised either but I think it's more that extra bit of quality he's lacking in. I want to see more of a killer pass.

Looks as though Phil got the subs spot on yesterday. :thumbsup:

WTF are you suggesting Corr plays in central midfield and Payne up front?
No, not at all. As with a lot of centre forwards in the modern game, Corr is extremely good defensively at set pieces. He'd be the first to admit he doesn't have the greatest burst of acceleration so better for him to go back and someone quicker to be the lone man up to top to lead the attack in the event of a break. Try reading what I wrote YB!

Looks as though Phil got the subs spot on yesterday. :thumbsup:
He did indeed, won us the game with all 3 subs and I don't think anyone else watching would have put Payne or Weston on. Fair play to him, he's got more than enough flak for his substitutions and there have been some awful changes but this week it worked.

Back