• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No, not at all. As with a lot of centre forwards in the modern game, Corr is extremely good defensively at set pieces. He'd be the first to admit he doesn't have the greatest burst of acceleration so better for him to go back and someone quicker to be the lone man up to top to lead the attack in the event of a break. Try reading what I wrote YB!

All sounds crackers to me,top scorer defending whilst someone else fills in the lone striker role which means any clearance comes straight back with our top scorer still defending.

You are hilarious at times:winking:

All sounds crackers to me,top scorer defending whilst someone else fills in the lone striker role which means any clearance comes straight back with our top scorer still defending.

You are hilarious at times:winking:

Don't forget it was OBL who wondered why we hadn't tried 452!

Being up front on your own is very rarely about pace, it's about having the presence and skill to bring pacy players into the game. 1v2 (a quick breakaway from a defensive corner) is rarely going to work by pace alone, but it needs Corr or whoever to get onto the ball and our pacy players to be fast enough to get up in support and outnumber their defenders. i.e. turn 1v2 into 3v2

Being up front on your own is very rarely about pace, it's about having the presence and skill to bring pacy players into the game. 1v2 (a quick breakaway from a defensive corner) is rarely going to work by pace alone, but it needs Corr or whoever to get onto the ball and our pacy players to be fast enough to get up in support and outnumber their defenders. i.e. turn 1v2 into 3v2

Haha 452 is brilliant !

I would play 555 and be done with it:smile:

Being honest I detest the lone role under any circumstance especially when defending,we leave 2 up top then they will keep at least 2 probably 3 back then the keeper and the corner taker so we end up 9 v6 in the box in our favour.

Haha 452 is brilliant !

I would play 555 and be done with it:smile:

Being honest I detest the lone role under any circumstance especially when defending,we leave 2 up top then they will keep at least 2 probably 3 back then the keeper and the corner taker so we end up 9 v6 in the box in our favour.

The best way to defend a corner is to fill the box with our players. That way we can block their runs, block their shots and get to the ball first. If we leave two up then we make things worse for ourselves, IMO.

The best way to defend a corner is to fill the box with our players. That way we can block their runs, block their shots and get to the ball first. If we leave two up then we make things worse for ourselves, IMO.

Too many players which will either block Bents or obscure his line of sight,we defend with one up then the opponent will be encouraged to send at least another player to attack our area making the box highly congested .Spoken to ex players who were all bemused when their manager ordered defence en masse mainly because any clearance will come straight back.

I recall a game ( think it was Mourinho when he managed Porto ) , leaving 5 players on the half way line when defending a corner.
The sheer confusion / panic in the opposition was evident with players not knowing what to do.
I don't advocate that as being hugely wise , but sometimes the defending side can dictate rather the attacking one.

I don't remember that, but you clearly remember enough about my posts to be able to drag that up. Should I be flattered? Clearly a mistake if I did say that.

I disagree, I would much rather have someone with a good turn of pace left up on their own and have someone with the aerial dominance of Corr in the box to help defend a corner or free kick. That is also what Brown tends to do. Corr is excellent on defensive duties when called upon.

I don't remember that, but you clearly remember enough about my posts to be able to drag that up. Should I be flattered? Clearly a mistake if I did say that.

I disagree, I would much rather have someone with a good turn of pace left up on their own and have someone with the aerial dominance of Corr in the box to help defend a corner or free kick. That is also what Brown tends to do. Corr is excellent on defensive duties when called upon.

Obviously any coach brings a tall striker back for corners.... Unless of course you are mrsblue who coaches kids.

Unbelievable turn around.
I was unconvinced about the mini run we were on, better results than performances etc.
Then the first 70 minutes versus Newport were the best for a long long time; & still the band wagon keeps rolling on.
There is some real spirit and grit there now.
Well done Phil, Dave, Cocko AND the lads out there doing their stuff.

Only problem is that this run as great as it is, might still have come too late. Paul Clark said he has a bad feeling about Saturday, not the only one. The bonus is that the players seem able to play game by game and there doesn't seem too much pressure on them. Just a shame we couldn't find these performance a few months ago.

I'm not disagreeing with leaving a good defensive attacker like Corr back for a corner. I'm saying that we rarely spring a decent counter-attack by leaving a pacy forward up front. If we have the opportunity, Bentley tends to let everyone get back into their positions, or he throws to a FB or winger to start the quick attack.

Personally I don't think we should have anyone up top when defending corners, it seems utterly pointless. The more players in and around the box (defenders and attackers) the better for the defenders.

'Personally I don't think we should have anyone up top when defending corners, it seems utterly pointless. The more players in and around the box (defenders and attackers) the better for the defenders.'

I'm really not sure whether i can be bothered but i'll go for it...

The rational is that when we successfully defend a corner (or a free kick for that matter) we as defenders have someone to pass the ball to up field, thereby starting a counter attack and relieving pressure on our own goal.

Similarly, if all out field players are in or around our (the defending) 18 yard box then when we successfully defend a corner (or a free kick for that matter) we as defenders have no out let - no one to pass the ball to thereby relieving the pressure on our goal and potentially putting pressure on the oppositions goal.

In short by having no one up top the ball potentially comes straight back and we are under pressure and defending again.

Ever heard of the expression attack is the best form of defence?

I don't think our football is better than Paul Sturrocks at their best but results are everything. Fans will put up with anything provided the team are winning, 1 nil wins are great. I am a Brown doubter but to his credit he maybe getting there but of course time will tell. Fans love good football but prefer wins at any cost.:smile:

'Personally I don't think we should have anyone up top when defending corners, it seems utterly pointless. The more players in and around the box (defenders and attackers) the better for the defenders.'

Two further points:

1. If we leave no attackers up field it leaves the opposition's defenders able to come into our penalty area or lurking just outside it.

2. Some attacking players have no idea how to defend and just get in the way of the defenders who know what they are doing.

I don't think our football is better than Paul Sturrocks at their best but results are everything. Fans will put up with anything provided the team are winning, 1 nil wins are great. I am a Brown doubter but to his credit he maybe getting there but of course time will tell. Fans love good football but prefer wins at any cost.:smile:

I guess it's opinion based on the football side. I much prefer Phil's style of play than Sturrocks.

Back