• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WELL DONE RON, NEARLY ALL IS FORGIVEN!

So this is all down to Stan? Believe what you will. Maybe we are getting players in early before the embargo hits. Who knows? I am not as confident as many. Yes we have bagged a few seasoned pros but I think too many are underestimating the quality in the NL. In comparison our captures are not world beaters, steady yes, experienced yes, but not so much better than many others in our division. Still, we hope and pray.
The proof of the pudding is in the eating as Leon Clarke used to say.

The "Imps" model worked a treat and good luck to them.It was clear to see their fans had suffered long and hard; not even Tilly was able to turn it around!
It looks like they are a club who are going the right way purely in terms of reaching their potential..

I'll just put on the record that amongst the myriad of discussions that we have about SUFC, this is the core of my huge dissapointment. The club has woefully under performed in trying to reach its good potential as long as I've supported. I'm thinking of: BRENTFORD,BOURNEMOUTH,IPSWICH,NORWICH,QPR,READING,ROTHERHAM,SOUTHAMPTON,WATFORD and others.My Dad is no longer with us to quiz him on what the feelings were around the club in 1955 when our own fans built a fantastic new facility on a shoestring. I'd be most interested to get some senior fan feedback there!Ron Martin seemed to going in the right direction,but for me this ended around 2009/10 and I don't see any change being likely given the evidence.

UTB!
The one thing I will say about our under achievement against clubs similar to us, just look at the 1977-78 division 4 final table.

We finished runner up to a Watford side, where Elton John had got heavily involved, third Swansea City and 4th Brentford completed the promoted sides.

Where are they now and where are we? Just ask yourself that and that is all you need to know about under achievement and under investment.

The one thing I will say about our under achievement against clubs similar to us, just look at the 1977-78 division 4 final table.

We finished runner up to a Watford side, where Elton John had got heavily involved, third Swansea City and 4th Brentford completed the promoted sides.

Where are they now and where are we? Just ask yourself that and that is all you need to know about under achievement and under investment.

And we used to wop Fulham

Spot on CMWOW, We have been Shat on in comparison. Almost makes me cry! We deserve better fo the loyal supporters we are. I drove past Brentford’s new ground last Tuesday, Brilliant.

And lets not mention Bournemouth, Reading, Bristol City, Sheffield Utd, Luton , Palace, Brighton often below us in 4th division , Hull city and Peterborough

Thanks Ron, its been an absolute treat

Don't forget the 24 clubs that went out of the football league and some of them wont be coming back. All were above us when Ron took over.

For every club on an upward trajectory there is one going in the opposite direction. You’re comparing us to these clubs when we are at our nadir. Do the same comparison for those clubs when they were at their lowest point and some would have been eyeing us enviously. We were top of the championship one Christmas now we’re in the NL. Some of those clubs listed will suffer a fall from grace in years to come and hopefully we pass them in the opposite direction.

Ron has of course put considerable funds into the club to keep us afloat but also in part because of the position he has allowed us to get into and as others have said still seeks the ultimate pay days from our new development alongside the future security of the club
A good friend of mine is a long term Gills season ticket holder. Scally has put a lot into Gillingham and now mostly lives in Dubai
Mr Scully likes to threaten to pull out citing the financial consequences. However my mate goes a deep red colour when he references the clubs accounts and allegedly the Chairman’s annual take of around £150k

ive not seen our accounts very often as a shareholder, so genuine question as I’ve not seen this side of the coin referred to very often if at all, does anyone know what Ronnies salary is.? does he have one at all or is it all down to Ron’s generosity ?? Has he taken a performance related haircut.?

don’t get me wrong, I understand Ron’s point about the millions it has cost him and no doubt this side of the balance sheet can be seen as exceptional, albeit possibly avoidable years ago, but just wondered whether our leaders benevolence stretches to no annual income whatsoever.

Just wondering whether anyone knows about this aspect of our finances ? Accounts and transparency etc

Just wondering whether anyone knows about this aspect of our finances ? Accounts and transparency etc

No information on this AFAIK.

The only reference point on the last accounts up to July 2018 is annual 'Administrative Expenses' of £2,345,370. What this figure consists of is anyones guess but it could include a management charge I guess?

Don't forget the 24 clubs that went out of the football league and some of them wont be coming back. All were above us when Ron took over.

How can we forget them. We will be playing a host of them this season. And most of them in better financial positions than us.

What a ridiculous thread..... how can you forgive him for completely letting the playing side go.
Worst way we should be lining up against League 2 opposition next year with Ifollow available for those abroad. Instead we are in a tin pot park League, inferior players , inferior opposition grounds and highly likely with bull sh it Bill in charge to be there for a few years.....forgive him my ar s e!

Forgive him? What and just forget the last three abysmal years when the club has sunk like a stone into non league obscurity for the first time in 108 years - on his watch?

We were relegated due to Ron’s negligence and incompetence in running the club (or not as the case may be) and now because we have signed a few NL players, we are now supposed to fall at his feet and say “don’t worry about the **** you’ve put the club and fans through over these godawful recent years, we forgive you and all’s great now”? You forgive him if you want, it’s going to take a lot, lot longer for me and I’d say the majority of our fans for that to happen ?

Back