• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

wiggy

Darryl's Love Child
What a nice surprise to see that Tilson had abandoned the Maher is an automatic choice and let's give Matt Harrold yet another chance to prove he has got any ability as a footballer as the team was read out. Rating's as follows....

Collis 6 very little to do but am now more convinced than ever that he will never come off that goal line, towers over everyone and more rooted than Flavs.
Hammel 7 worth a place just for his corners, keep him in to stop those Maher loopers with no pace on em!
Hunt 8 much better display although Lewis looks a decent player when the opposition is paceless and poor
Barratt 7 done what he had to, once again up against weak opposition
Clarke 8 gets better and better, fully commited every week
Macca 7 usual battling performance
Bailey 8 probably Tilsons best new signing, typical ginger, commited, classy and scores a few as well
Gower 6 terrible distribution 1st half but good to have width both sides
Black 6 no fireworks as promised pre season but balances it up and will get better
Clarke 7 won plenty of headers, held it up well and seemed to enjoy playing with a partner with a brain
Hoops 8 not everything came off but showed what a good footballing brain he has got with movement and little lay offs, by far the best partner for Leon, hope he keeps it up as this could really work.

Referee 10, for once a bloke who let it flow and made the game more enjoyable to watch unlike the ones that think that it is all about them and there whistle!

Have to say, pretty spot on with those. I am now of the opinion that there is very little between flavs & collis except height and that alone should result in Collis keeping the jersey. As for Hooper, An 8 was very generous. I can see where your coming from with regard to his attempts at neat little touches and no doubt, if/when he masters them he will will be a good player but he still lacks that magic ingredient of pace.

Have to say, pretty spot on with those. I am now of the opinion that there is very little between flavs & collis except height and that alone should result in Collis keeping the jersey. As for Hooper, An 8 was very generous. I can see where your coming from with regard to his attempts at neat little touches and no doubt, if/when he masters them he will will be a good player but he still lacks that magic ingredient of pace.

I think it is fully accepted that Flavs has more confidence with kicking, shot stopping and general goalkeeping except the high stuff, now if Collis is as bad/worse in this dept. then i can see Flavs coming back in. As for Hooper's lack of pace then i think his goals ratio tells a story that he is in the right place at the right time ala Robbie Fowler. Got us a goal and a pen yesterday and can't be anywhere near match fit as hasn't even been on the bench lately. Ask Leon, the link up play was good to watch even if it didn't always come off, better than that hump it in the air stuf that we have been watching!

Referee 10, for once a bloke who let it flow and made the game more enjoyable to watch unlike the ones that think that it is all about them and there whistle![/QUOTE]

Correct marking for the ref, plus the lino in the West Stand was spot on with all decisions, he even told the ref about the first 5 minute booking of the Crewe number 30.

Nice to see officials wanting the game to flow.

Totally agree with your Hooper views Wiggy, okay some touches didnot come off, but considering it was his first full game in ages and anew partnership they gelled well, however we will not come a cross a poorer side at Roots Hall this season.

I don't agree with Hooper's mark. He was lethargic & very poor 1st half. He had the body language of somebody who didn't care. He was woeful. The flicks & tricks were unnecessary, especially if he'd played the simple ball instead try a flick.

2nd half he was better, his goal could have scored by Harrold, it was that simple, but he seemed to grow in confidence afterwards & got better. 8 out of 10 for a partial good 2nd half is very generous!

Maccy D should have started ahead of Hooper, as he is a natural goalscorer & has a better footballing brain.

We win 3-0 & we still find faults!! How times have changed!!

Bailey 8 probably Tilsons best new signing, typical ginger, commited, classy and scores a few as well

Like Matt Harrold?

Thought Bailey was outstanding the way he read and broke up play. My man of the match, ahead of the again impressive Lewis Hunt.

2nd half he was better, his goal could have scored by Harrold, it was that simple, but he seemed to grow in confidence afterwards & got better. 8 out of 10 for a partial good 2nd half is very generous!

Harrold could have scored it. He wouldn't have done though because he wouldn't have been there. That was a poachers goal and I can't remember the last goal poacher we even had.

As I said in the other thread, Hooper was my man of the match basically for the reasons that wiggy has said - his movement, the runs he was making the obvious partnership than he was forging with Leon Clarke and for at least twice getting into the sort of positions that Southend United strikers simply don't get into.

Like Matt Harrold?

Thought Bailey was outstanding the way he read and broke up play. My man of the match, ahead of the again impressive Lewis Hunt.

Hunt was very good, as he was last week. If he can continue to turn in that sort of level of performance then few will be complaining. But if he slips back into the sort of form he showed against Doncaster then people will start to ask questions again.

Hooper was crap in the first half he just didn't look fit or interested to me. He did pick up in the second half Tilly must have given him a kick up the backside.

Hooper was crap in the first half he just didn't look fit or interested to me. He did pick up in the second half Tilly must have given him a kick up the backside.

i wouldn't say that. he was far from good in the first half but he was getting in the right places. he had 3 or 4 chances in the first half that he could have scored from. at least he created a things things. plus him and leon look the best partnership so far in my opinion.

He was off the pace first half because he hasn't played much. The runs he was making were still good though and he again got into a fantastic position for the sitter that he missed and I don't think we have another striker on our books who would even have been there.

He's a striker and he hasn't scored many goals so confidence is always going to be a factor. Not everything came off for him but by all accounts the manager doesn't criticise players for trying things and for making mistakes in attacking positions which is something that I think we as fans should try to take on board.

Correct marking for the ref, plus the lino in the West Stand was spot on with all decisions, he even told the ref about the first 5 minute booking of the Crewe number 30.

"Spot on" in the sense that he seemed to give most of the key decisions our way, anyway. I had a clear view of their first-half penalty shout and Hammell was all over their striker and it looked a clear pen.

We deserve a break with the officials though after all the muppets that the Football League send here to officiate our matches.

its seems Flahaven leads the way in backing a professional approach with his positive remarks about Collis and the squad - Tilson is biting the bullet when it comes to the old guard and creating a strong squad - I expect attitude to the job in training and generally is counting for a lot -

Tilson obviously rates Hooper - he started with him at the beginning of the season but turning potential into performances and chances taken is different thing - Hooper has good fighting qualities - it funny to remember he started against Man U -

Hey ho - 2 x Southend and England getting three and then superman Jonny in paris -

Like Beefy says, the most obvious penalty i have seen for a while. Ref was in an excellent place to see it too but somehow he thought it wasn't a penalty. 8 at best IMO!

I didn't think Hopper did sod all in the first half apart from fanny about and not be able to control anything ...as soon as he changed his boots ..a miracle occured.

Is he Cinderella ?

its seems Flahaven leads the way in backing a professional approach with his positive remarks about Collis and the squad - Tilson is biting the bullet when it comes to the old guard and creating a strong squad - I expect attitude to the job in training and generally is counting for a lot -

Tilson obviously rates Hooper - he started with him at the beginning of the season but turning potential into performances and chances taken is different thing - Hooper has good fighting qualities - it funny to remember he started against Man U -

Hey ho - 2 x Southend and England getting three and then superman Jonny in paris -

& yet Hooper is one of the players that was about to be outed not so long ago! Maccy D will end up doing a Paynter, by moving on without getting a fair crack at starting!

Back