• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

seany t

President
As a stadium, I still feel entirely undecided about Wembley.

It's most impressive outside, lit up at night - a glowing beacon calling sports fans to its central hub. And it's a very slick operation, delivering colossal volumes of food and drink at breakneck speed, being very sensibly laid out and with a tube exit strategy that is remarkably quick given the 80,000 people using one mere station. But it lacks charm throughout; soulless signs direct you around the glorified industrial estate innards and the arena itself, whilst breathtaking in scale and scope, feels detached and otherworldly compared to the far-off dots circumnavigating that once 'hallowed turf'. The sound is hardly deafening - more abstract and as if it's being filtered through water from lands afar - with chants from the crowd reaching the opposite side a fair few seconds after instigation.

But glory will ultimately come to this excessive shell, and great Cup Final's will grace it - of that there can be no doubt given the life it has ahead of it. What I fear will not ever be addressed, is the social divide cutting through the very centre of the stadium.

For at the centre of Wembley's design, is a middle tier given over to corporate hospitality. And it's in this Club Wembley tier that I sat last night thanks to a client of ours, which - despite the negativity of this post - I was genuinely very pleased about, even if I did feel like I had little right to be there. And whilst I understand that it's a necessary evil in the modern game to have these exclusive areas, it really does create an 'us and them' mentality in this new(ish) arena.

Having sat in both sections now, the fans have got it good and bad. They get to be right next to the pitch, there's a far greater atmosphere amongst the throng though they have a far longer wait for refreshments and get packed in like sheep.

But the Club Wembley area is a whole other affair. You arrive at the equivalent of an airport, get shown past a gloriously decadent restaurant as if to say "For a mere £1000 more YOU could be eating in there with Mr Andrew Lloyd Webber" and are in the midst of a Westfield Shopping Centre wannabe within a minute or so. Stunning looking 'hostesses' a la the recent Virgin ads are around for support / perving, there is a carvery in full swing and the champagne & oyster bar is overflowing with trade. A few people brave the pie and a pint offer with me and my work colleagues or frequent the betting booths, but there seems little interest in anything resembling the traditional football pre-match buildup.

It's not my scene personally, but each to their own. Football has changed, and I guess the fans must do so with it. What really bothered me about this premiumisation of the football experience was the sense of the evening being so 'throwaway' to the assembled guests. Some of the padded seats remained empty until the 5th minute or so of the game. Many were deserted 5 minutes or so prior to half time and remained unoccupied for the second half. With 15 to go, there was a mass exodus. Perhaps most damningly, a fair amount remained empty all match.

Most of the corporate boxes lining this middle tier remained closed all match. Indeed the ITV commentary team, positioned right behind our seats, failed to make an appearance from their booth barring Teddy Sheringham. And looking around, I longed to be downstairs with the band and passionate fans.

I had a 'supporter' whinge at me for standing up to applaud Crouch off. I got several dismayed looks from neighbouring visitors to the section for joining in with the singing and clapping. I saw many elder men on Blackberries facing away from the pitch and their bored looking son, 35 years or so their younger. Several hardcore fans tried to get an atmosphere going, and were quickly glared at. Even looking around was telling; when the first goal went in, the bottom and top tiers erupted in a sea of red and white. Our middle stand rose to its feet briefly in a polite and somewhat stilted manner and adjusted their black suit jackets and overcoats.

Perhaps worst of all, was the decision to put the super exclusive seats right next to the tunnel, meaning that the very first images of both halves always show a huge, empty area from where guests are still occupying the bar. A quarter or so of these remained in this state for the entire game.

It didn't help admittedly that the game was poor. Or that Ukraine aren't the most flamboyant opponents and were trying to frustrate and stall the English side. But the sense of divide seemed damning, with the fans packed into the 'cheap seats' far, far away. Some people had come here for the football. Most had come here for a night out.

The team left the field largely without applauding the fans, seemingly scared by this stadium which many managers to date have said intimidates them. My tier was predictably empty by this point. But I didn't blame the players for their swift exit. When you play for your club and have 40,000 passionate fans willing you on, you play your best. When you get trotted out at a giant arena for the whimsy of the middle class with the real football fans largely watching the match down the pub, I guess it's hard to really care...

Wembley will likely host great games. Whether it ever has a truly great atmosphere to rank alongside these forthcoming matches remains to be seen.

One massive improvement they could make is to swap the main Camera to the other side, so you don't see that big block of red empty seats, and instead see the loyal and passionate england fans.

Personally I've been to Wembley twice, once for England vs Israel and once for the NFL game last autumn... it's excellent, if a little bit sterile, and the food and drink is very expensive and has ridiculous queues.

It's a funny place, isn't it? I much prefer it for Play-Off Finals when the noise is deafening and the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. The one England game I've seen there was very much as Seany describes. Sterile.

Aren't all modern stadiums sterile like that though?

Wembley is just bigger than them. Its size gives it a grandness, but its difficult to get the atmosphere going in a modern all-seater stadium. The great thing about terraces was that like-minded people could all gather at the same area. Allocated seating has killed that. I was in the top tier behind the goal and the atmosphere wasn't great, like a Southend game there was a bit of singing but not much and not very loud. Actually my mate nipped off for a slash and missed the first goal. He didn't realise we'd scored until he returned and I pointed at the scoreboard. When England scored, you should have been able to tell from 80,000 roaring from miles away, but you couldn't even hear it in the gents.

If modern stadiums were a country, they'd be Singapore. I know Southend need to move, but I can't say I'm particularly looking forward to it.

I think they should keep the bars open after the game for half hour or so.

That would stagger the rush for the roads / tubes (which took me an hour to queue for) and create a bit of dialogue about the night after the main event.

I have to say that some of the people in Club Wembley, where I sat last night, act like they aren't allowed to sing or support. However the facilities are probably the best in the world and the seats are lovely too!

I think they should keep the bars open after the game for half hour or so.

That would stagger the rush for the roads / tubes (which took me an hour to queue for) and create a bit of dialogue about the night after the main event.

The bars were shut last night because it was a match under FIFA jurisdiction and they ban the selling of alcohol.

The bars were shut last night because it was a match under FIFA jurisdiction and they ban the selling of alcohol.

Quite true, but they don't keep them open anyway. Likewise with the betting shops. If you back a winner, you have to take your slip to a BetFred shop to get your money.

I've been to (new) Wembley five times now and atmosphere-wise last year's rugby league Challenge Cup Final between St Helens and 'ull was something else. Beautiful sunny day, a spine tingling rendition of Abide With Me and a crowd that was well up for the occasion.

What the current stadium needs is a defining moment, a bit of sporting history. That'll come soon enough. Maybe an unfashionable Essex side winning a play-off final against a team of big-time Charlies from Yorkshire? that sort of thing.

Seany did you go to the old Wembley? The atmosphere was much better at the old ground & despite what they say I still feel most of the crowd were closer to the pitch than at the new Wembley.

I went to England v Brazil at the old Wembley (92,000 crowd as evening games were limited to that) and the atmosphere was electric also went to the England v Brazil game at new Wembley and whilst the build up to the game is so much better when the game actually started the atmosphere was a bit flat.

I've been to the new Wembley three times now and I admit the atmosphere isn't amazing. It's a great stadium though, there are excellent facilities and there's lots of leg room. The food is too expensive though and not that good.

Seany did you go to the old Wembley? The atmosphere was much better at the old ground & despite what they say I still feel most of the crowd were closer to the pitch than at the new Wembley.

I went to England v Brazil at the old Wembley (92,000 crowd as evening games were limited to that) and the atmosphere was electric also went to the England v Brazil game at new Wembley and whilst the build up to the game is so much better when the game actually started the atmosphere was a bit flat.

Not for a game of football alas, just a few huge gigs. So yeah, I can't compare the two alas.

Rereading some of that post of mine, I think I may just have inexplicable 'middleclasshatreditis'. I have no real reason to hate people who aren't as passionate as the 'fans', or any real problem with people having more money than me - it's going to happen. But I seem to have real issues with people being given the right to something they don't warrant when there are people out there who'd love the opportunity?

Which is, in a lot shorter space of internet usage, why I guess I hated that middle tier.

I love the new Wembley. I've been along to two play-off finals and two England Internationals so far and I love the place. Am planning on going to the Andorra game in June as well fingers crossed.

One point, on Wednesday, the atmosphere before the game was electric. National anthem in full flow, 3 lions being played, plenty of chanting etc but it seemed to go a bit flat during the game apart from spells which mainly included the national anthem.

Back