• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Big Dady

¡Viva la Kevolución! ⭐️ ⭐️
Staff member
Well the alarm on my mobile phone has just gone off, after setting it some days ago, to make sure I get up really early for our big day at Wembley.

Shower, brush my teeth, shave, and put on my jeans and my Southend shirt that has been hanging up all nice and pressed since our return from our great win at Donny a week ago. Pick up my flags including my one of the 5,000 Ron Martin arranged to be given out at the 1st play off leg at Roots Hall.

A quick bite to eat and a cup of tea followed by the short walk down to the railway station to catch one of your Blues Specials leaving Southend Victoria. Meet up with some of my mates, and all the other Shrimpers decked out in blue with most carrying flags to cheer on the Shrimpers.

The train journey was fantastic with all the flags hanging out of the train and we all warmed up singing voices all the way into London.

Quick trip on the underground to our first watering hole for a few pre match pints, then back on the train to Wembley.

What a sight, to see Olympic Way leading up to Wembley decked out in Blue with thousands of Southend supporters all making there way up to the new Wembley National Stadium.

Entered the turnstiles and walked through the concourse, up the steps and entered the stadium proper. The wall of noise and colour hit us straight away, with the Leeds fans over to our left, and all the 29,000 Shrimpers round to our right, with a sea of Blue flags waving, and “The Blue Voice” as loud as I have ever heard them behind the goal.

I can not remember much about the game, it all seemed to go by in a flash, just like our recent 3 appearances down in Cardiff at the Millennium Stadium. But the important things I do remember were that James Walker scored a cracker from well outside the box that flew in off the crossbar into the top right hand corner of the Leeds goal after only 3 minutes. This seemed to settle the Shrimpers down and they started to knock and pass the ball around. The half time whistle goes, and we all make our way down to the concourse for a bite to eat and drink, you could only just hear to talk about the first half as all the Southend support were still in full voice.

Back to our seats for the second half, this did not start as the Blues had hoped. With Beckford picking up a long ball which caught out our back four, he blasted the ball passed Darryl, who had no chance to stop it. The Shrimpers heads did not drop though, it just seemed to spur them on, with the Blues playing some sexy football in front of the Shrimpers supporters who were fully behind their team, Time was ticking by and we were all starting to think about extra-time and possible penalty shoot out. However, in the 89 minute those fears were put to bed with a fantastic flowing move that seemed to involve the whole team, finishing with Lee Barnard turning in the 6 yard box and placing the ball past their keeper into the right hand corner of the goal. The place just erupted, with all the Shrimpers going mad all over the place, and singing their hearts out for the lads. This was only matched by the cheers and chants when the final whistle went.

So the Shrimpers are back to the Championship after only one season, which if we are all honest, is much much more than we had hoped for after last season.

I do not remember to much about the journey home, as we spent all that evening celebrating around London our fantastic win, but I believe I got back into bed around 2.30am Monday Morning.

My alarm goes off, and I wake up, only to find that it was all a great dream. Oh how I wish dreams that are so real came true.

Made me go all goosebumpy reading that!

Looking at the weather this morning, I have to say it's quite a relief not having to make the trek over to Wembley - although had it been us, of course a few drops of rain wouldn't have dampened our spirits!

What a horrible thought. Today could have been our day. However, I heard we are the champions on the radio yesterday, and thought us next year? maybe...

When I saw the colour and outfits of the Hull and Bristol supporters on a lovely sunny day at wembley yesterday, a lump came to my throat. Will we ever get there? almost feel in a stupid way I would have given up auto promotion this season just for a trip there via the playoffs even if it ment defeat. If you could write a script we will go up the season the new stadium will be ready and thus fill it every week. Would rather that than facing relegation in a new stadium with the potential of lower crowds.

Does anybody know how many of the other 91 clubs like us have never played at wembley be it in a playoff final or cup final of some kind. I'm feeling depressing jealous this weekend..... a nice high figure would make me feel better.

Does anybody know how many of the other 91 clubs like us have never played at wembley be it in a playoff final or cup final of some kind. I'm feeling depressing jealous this weekend..... a nice high figure would make me feel better.

Ah but that is where you are wrong - we HAVE played at Wembley and in a competitive match!

We have played at Wembley before against orient in the 50's I think.

:( If only.

Come on Donny today though.

In a way i want Donny to win just to see the look on the Scum's faces but
In a way i want Leeds to win just to get them out of this league and we aint gotta play em again next season.

I think Donny may just edge it though.

Look at it a different way...

How many of the other 91 clubs have played at the Millennium Stadium THREE times?

Well the alarm on my mobile phone has just gone off, after setting it some days ago, to make sure I get up really early for our big day at Wembley.

Shower, brush my teeth, shave, and put on my jeans and my Southend shirt that has been hanging up all nice and pressed since our return from our great win at Donny a week ago. Pick up my flags including my one of the 5,000 Ron Martin arranged to be given out at the 1st play off leg at Roots Hall.

A quick bite to eat and a cup of tea followed by the short walk down to the railway station to catch one of your Blues Specials leaving Southend Victoria. Meet up with some of my mates, and all the other Shrimpers decked out in blue with most carrying flags to cheer on the Shrimpers.

The train journey was fantastic with all the flags hanging out of the train and we all warmed up singing voices all the way into London.

Quick trip on the underground to our first watering hole for a few pre match pints, then back on the train to Wembley.

What a sight, to see Olympic Way leading up to Wembley decked out in Blue with thousands of Southend supporters all making there way up to the new Wembley National Stadium.

Entered the turnstiles and walked through the concourse, up the steps and entered the stadium proper. The wall of noise and colour hit us straight away, with the Leeds fans over to our left, and all the 29,000 Shrimpers round to our right, with a sea of Blue flags waving, and “The Blue Voice” as loud as I have ever heard them behind the goal.

I can not remember much about the game, it all seemed to go by in a flash, just like our recent 3 appearances down in Cardiff at the Millennium Stadium. But the important things I do remember were that James Walker scored a cracker from well outside the box that flew in off the crossbar into the top right hand corner of the Leeds goal after only 3 minutes. This seemed to settle the Shrimpers down and they started to knock and pass the ball around. The half time whistle goes, and we all make our way down to the concourse for a bite to eat and drink, you could only just hear to talk about the first half as all the Southend support were still in full voice.

Back to our seats for the second half, this did not start as the Blues had hoped. With Beckford picking up a long ball which caught out our back four, he blasted the ball passed Darryl, who had no chance to stop it. The Shrimpers heads did not drop though, it just seemed to spur them on, with the Blues playing some sexy football in front of the Shrimpers supporters who were fully behind their team, Time was ticking by and we were all starting to think about extra-time and possible penalty shoot out. However, in the 89 minute those fears were put to bed with a fantastic flowing move that seemed to involve the whole team, finishing with Lee Barnard turning in the 6 yard box and placing the ball past their keeper into the right hand corner of the goal. The place just erupted, with all the Shrimpers going mad all over the place, and singing their hearts out for the lads. This was only matched by the cheers and chants when the final whistle went.

So the Shrimpers are back to the Championship after only one season, which if we are all honest, is much much more than we had hoped for after last season.

I do not remember to much about the journey home, as we spent all that evening celebrating around London our fantastic win, but I believe I got back into bed around 2.30am Monday Morning.

My alarm goes off, and I wake up, only to find that it was all a great dream. Oh how I wish dreams that are so real came true.

That actually made me me feel a little depressed, Thanx!

It was actually in 1930 again "Clapton Orient", as their ground "Lee Bridge Road Stadium" was closed while remedial works were carried out to the pitch barriers and hired Wembley to stage two league games of which this was the second.

We lost 3 : 1 with 1,916 in attendance. :stunned: :(

Full Report
http://www.sufcdb.co.uk/index.php?option=com_matchdetails&Itemid=71&mno=-1748

Atmosphere must have been cracking! Probably 1,900 blues and 16 Orient.... somethings will never change.

Back