• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Very strange. It was only 4 years ago when this happened, HMRC says club is "incontrovertibly insolvent on both a cashflow and balance-sheet basis". And that was despite a one million pound deposit on Roots Hall by Sainsbury's in 2008.

Thought this thread may bring a little early Christmas cheer............when's the next VAT bill due? Sainsbury's Christmas Crackers have obviously arrived, all containing tons of dosh. It appears we can afford John-Joe's wages........no news yet as to whether we can afford Phil Brown's?

Strange times,

25k transfer fee ,Ron sponsors his own club,Phil about to sign a roll on 10 year contract.

Good times:winking:

Really not sure that it was wise of PB to come out with that comment. The ramifications may be felt over a whole range of topics, not least when negotiating the deals for players' contracts, both on new deals and renewal of existing. Bet Ron would have preferred him to have kept his cards close to his chest.

anyone feel they might have been mugged off by RM ?

anyone controlling a piece of prime real estate and getting 5 MILLION POUNDS from Sainsburys should be able to operate a well supported Lge 2 football club .......

What supporters should remember is the names of the players who continued play for this club without wages being paid ...

and as for all that how Sturrock saved club stuff - total bollox

anyone controlling a piece of prime real estate and getting 5 MILLION POUNDS from Sainsburys should be able to operate a well supported Lge 2 football club .......

What supporters should remember is the names of the players who continued play for this club without wages being paid ...

How you got to Sturrock I'll never know but show me another manager who would have got the players in at short notice with the reputation RM had?

Sturrock must have really sold the club to these players, the players that not only kept us in L2 but took us to the fringes of L1 and got us a massive 83 points during Sturrock's tenure. So, yes, Sturrock did save the club

If I had a pound for every time I've seen someone explain to you the "£5M from Sainsburys", I'd be richer than the club right now!

How you got to Sturrock I'll never know but show me another manager who would have got the players in at short notice with the reputation RM had?

Sturrock must have really sold the club to these players, the players that not only kept us in L2 but took us to the fringes of L1 and got us a massive 83 points during Sturrock's tenure. So, yes, Sturrock did save the club

Agree 100%. As much as RM took an awful lot of stick for the way he got rid of Tilson (which could have been handled so much better) it was without doubt the best decision for the club. There's no way Tilly would have been able to get enough quality in to a club on its knees in such a short space of time, he just didn't have the contacts a man with Sturrock's many years of experience had. While it certainly wouldn't have been Tilly's fault I do feel we'd have probably ended up in the Conference had he stayed, and in my opinion that's the hardest relegation of all to bounce back up from. So yes I'm surprised that some underestimate the job that Sturrock's did here, even if he couldn't quite get us back into L1 during his tenure.

Back