• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

CC51DAS

President
Ever since he famously declared that 'Southend are not in the same league as Morecambe' that is of course precisely where we have been and without a victory against them to boot.

There seems little doubt that these comments have by and large inspired the opposition to raise their game.

Lets hope that tomorrow marx a turning point in the Blues' fortunes and the team can bring some sunshine back into our lives.

If we can pick up three points in our quest to get out of league two, Ronnie's comments might not seem so misplaced :)

When did he make those comments?

Around the end of the relegation season. I think he may also have said something about us not being able to afford to rest on our laurels, especially against some of the hardy teams from the north.

Ronny is fool sometimes a he.

Yes, I'm saying all the right words but not necessarily in the right order.......:winking:

I remember when he said this, we don't really need to compare ourselves against anyone plus naming names is just dis-respectful to be honest. But I expect very little from Ron so nothing surprises me when it comes to him.

Different league, same division. Mind you, at least it wasn't a cliché-ridden "They are well organised and difficult to beat".

Ever since he famously declared that 'Southend are not in the same league as Morecambe' that is of course precisely where we have been and without a victory against them to boot.

There seems little doubt that these comments have by and large inspired the opposition to raise their game.

Lets hope that tomorrow marx a turning point in the Blues' fortunes and the team can bring some sunshine back into our lives.

If we can pick up three points in our quest to get out of league two, Ronnie's comments might not seem so misplaced :)

Except of course he didnt say that.

And, when asked if the ground was necessary for games against the likes of Morecambe and Accrington Stanley, the Blues chairman replied: “We won’t be in same league as Morecambe by the time the stadium is finished.”

I thought he said we wouldn't be in the same league as them by the time that the stadium was built. A response to somebody arguing that we don't need a 20,000 seater stadium when we're playing Morecambe if I recall correctly.

I have to agree with Mr Martin

Southend United FC in the basement league is a Joke with our crowd pulling potential and catchment area up to the M25

We would be a Ipswich town or a Norwich city if we ever had a sniff of success in our 110 years history

At least we should be a poor championship side but a v good division 1 side fighting for promotion year in year out

And not playing tin pot clubs who attract under 2000 home fans sorry

Just look what potential IF we can muster together 30000 plus for a Mickey mouse cup final last year

Mr brown please get us promoted cos my club Southend United FC is wasting away here year after year now

ONE TEAM IN ESSEX
SOUTHEND UNITED FC :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The recorded version of the interview is clearly at odds with my recollection from the radio interview of what RM said. I therefore apologise unreservedly for this inaccuracy and any offence it may have caused to Mr Martin or anyone else who may have found the remarks offensive.

If I recall correctly however, the comments did cause a good deal of indignation amongst Morecambe players and followers and I even recall it being said that the comments were read out by the manager as part of his motivational team talk.

The comments were of course made against a background of construction of the much-promised stadium being due to start imminently.
As, under the current plans, it looks like it is now going to be some considerable time before the 20,000 capacity version of the stadium will be completed, it seems that we could be playing Morecambe for many years to come and the Chairman's comments will remain correct.

Sadly, I feel my original comments are now palin into insignificance. Maybe I should just be idle or live like a bishop in a monk house, say ta to everyone and pass the buck at every first opportunity. Perhaps Kay might have some thoughts on this ? :)

To be honest, I thought you were right that Martin said that "we won't be playing in the same league as Morecambe next season" back in 2010 until I found that old thread.

He also said work would start that summer .... nice one Ron :facepalm:

So THAT's why the ground is so delayed. He's hedging his bet and not starting the new ground until we're out of Morecambe's league.

You'd have thought they'd have managed it by now.

The recorded version of the interview is clearly at odds with my recollection from the radio interview of what RM said. I therefore apologise unreservedly for this inaccuracy and any offence it may have caused to Mr Martin or anyone else who may have found the remarks offensive.

If I recall correctly however, the comments did cause a good deal of indignation amongst Morecambe players and followers and I even recall it being said that the comments were read out by the manager as part of his motivational team talk.

The comments were of course made against a background of construction of the much-promised stadium being due to start imminently.
As, under the current plans, it looks like it is now going to be some considerable time before the 20,000 capacity version of the stadium will be completed, it seems that we could be playing Morecambe for many years to come and the Chairman's comments will remain correct.

Sadly, I feel my original comments are now palin into insignificance. Maybe I should just be idle or live like a bishop in a monk house, say ta to everyone and pass the buck at every first opportunity. Perhaps Kay might have some thoughts on this ? :)

Why ? We were in a division above them when he said it, so wouldnt have been a team talk until the season after.

Half the players that were in the team when we got to play them were no doubt not even in the squad then. Would they really give a monkeys?

What Martin said was a bit arrogant but to be honest Im actually glad he was thinking along the lines that being a league two side isnt acceptable.

Back