• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Were you there?

Yes, I went!

• 1-7 Doncaster

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • 1-8 Gillingham

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 1-9 Brighton

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 0-5 Doncaster

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • 9-0 Kings Lynn

Votes: 56 49.1%
  • 10+1 Brentwood

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • 7-0 Workington

Votes: 48 42.1%

• Total voters
I was at the Brighton game. Mel Slack scored our only goal and Derek Woodley - a flying winger - had a very rare (and unsuccessful) appearance at centre forward. But the most significant feature of the game was that it effectively killed the career of Ray White. Up to that time he was regarded as a brilliant young goalkeeping prospect, but he never recovered from the mauling. I think he even registered a catastrophic own goal in the game and was certainly at fault for most of the goals.

Ref Watch Mick is your man, the only thing I do know is that Mel Slack scored the best goal of the match.

Indeed he did. The other notable thing was that Brighton actually scored a tenth with a Charlie Livesey shot coming out of the goal off of a stanchion unnoticed by the referee.

We had injury issues. Derek Woodley played at centre forward and Ray White kept goal (after a fashion). Poor replacements for Eddie Firmani and Ian McKechnie.

I want to know all about the 1-9 Brighton!!

27 November 1965. One of 19 defeats away from home conceding 55 goals in the league that season as we got relegated. We didn’t travel well!

17 year old Ray White was in goal - just his 6th game.

Tony Bentley, John Neal, Mel Slack, Eddie May, Terry Bradbury, Malcolm Slater, Chris Barnard, Derek Woolley, Andy Smillie and John McKinven with Bobby King coming on for Terry Bradbury.

Up front we were missing Ray Smith and Eddie Firmani, having to play 18 yo Chris Barnard and right winger Derek Woodley at centre forward.

It was only 3-0 at half time. It was a bit more memorable for them.

https://thegoldstonewrap.com/2014/01/21/brighton-on-cloud-9/

The return fixture ended 0-0!

Can always remember the Doncaster play off game. Always knew they were the form team and it just all went wrong when I thought it was easier for James Walker to score. Saying that James Coppinger our downfall that night is still going strong for them. Great player.

Back