• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Were you there?

Yes, I went!

• 1-7 Doncaster

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • 1-8 Gillingham

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 1-9 Brighton

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 0-5 Doncaster

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • 9-0 Kings Lynn

Votes: 56 49.1%
  • 10+1 Brentwood

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • 7-0 Workington

Votes: 48 42.1%

• Total voters
So many other great results not on there. The 7 nil at Sunderland springs to mind.
I'm impressed that so many people on here went to the Brentwood, Kings Lynn and Workington games over 50 years ago.

How many of us on here went to the Halifax home game in 1986 in front of our lowest ever league crowd of 1,006
I did.

So many other great results not on there. The 7 nil at Sunderland springs to mind.
I'm impressed that so many people on here went to the Brentwood, Kings Lynn and Workington games over 50 years ago.

How many of us on here went to the Halifax home game in 1986 in front of our lowest ever league crowd of 1,006

I went to the Brentwood, Workington and Halifax games.

I remember 1986 from January until the end of the season only too well. Apart from the Halifax game, almost every home match had attendances of less than 2,000. ☹

Absolute ditto. Missed Kings Lynn though.
There were a fair few Kings Lynn fans there; most housed in the east part of the East Stand.
Their singing lasted a full two minutes before Gary Moore headed us into the lead.
The KL keeper that day was one Norman Coe, who had been keeping for Northampton off and on in their one First Division (top flight) season a couple of years before.
I remember feeling sorry for him after an hour.
The 'we want 10' from the Pak had to wait until the next match.

What was it like?
Am assuming the South Bank was still there, and am trying to think of a game I was at less than 2,000.
Half the attendance? Wow! Am also assuming all four sides were open?

Yep all 4 stands were open.
So 1,000 people in a 35,000 capacity ground. I think we had got used to the low crowds, it wasnt just us it was every club.

I will have a look later how many league crowds at home were less than 2,000. It was quite a few.

Yep all 4 stands were open.
So 1,000 people in a 35,000 capacity ground. I think we had got used to the low crowds, it wasnt just us it was every club.

I will have a look later how many league crowds at home were less than 2,000. It was quite a few.
I'm trying to imagine standing on the South Bank. Talk about social distancing!

From what I can remember about the Brighton goals was that they all came in 3 10 minute spells, early first half early second half and towards the end of the match .
Travelling down on the coach, the record that I remember most being played was 1-2-3 by Len Barry. I've hated it ever since and can't listen to it even now.

I'm trying to imagine standing on the South Bank. Talk about social distancing!

When I first started going in 84/85 there would usually be about 20 away fans on the whole terrace (13k capacity!). Sometimes less. The exceptions were when we played Col U who bought a few hundred and then Northampton in the cup in 1986 (4-4). But it was still sparse. It blew my mind when we played Wolves April 87 and they brought loads down. First time (and only time) I'd ever seen it anywhere near full. It was a 10k crowd. Great night that was.

When I first started going in 84/85 there would usually be about 20 away fans on the whole terrace. Sometimes less. The exceptions were when we played Col U who bought a few hundred and then Northampton in the cup in 1986 (4-4). But it was still sparse. It blew my mind when we played Wolves April 87 and they brought loads down. First time (and only time) I'd ever seen it anywhere near full. It was a 10k crowd. Great night that was.
Yeah same!

I was there.

Away at Carlisle with Neville Southall in goal. Was it 5-0 - terrible but the trip on the Settle Carlisle train was good!

When I first started going in 84/85 there would usually be about 20 away fans on the whole terrace (13k capacity!). Sometimes less. The exceptions were when we played Col U who bought a few hundred and then Northampton in the cup in 1986 (4-4). But it was still sparse. It blew my mind when we played Wolves April 87 and they brought loads down. First time (and only time) I'd ever seen it anywhere near full. It was a 10k crowd. Great night that was.
They brought 3000 fans down on a Friday night. I've never seen anything like it for a league game. The centre of the South bank behind the goal was really packed. Getting 10,000 plus in '87 was really some thing considering the mid-80's attendances. A fantastic night. One of our biggest victories at Roots Hall.

Back