• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Were you there?

Yes, I went!

• 1-7 Doncaster

Votes: 61 53.5%
  • 1-8 Gillingham

Votes: 33 28.9%
  • 1-9 Brighton

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • 0-5 Doncaster

Votes: 44 38.6%
  • 9-0 Kings Lynn

Votes: 56 49.1%
  • 10+1 Brentwood

Votes: 60 52.6%
  • 7-0 Workington

Votes: 48 42.1%

• Total voters
Sansome, Dixon, Roberts, Martin, Butters, Brush, Tilson, Butler, Crown, McDonagh, Ling.

Coles, Brown, Powell, Burvill, Ogly, Wignall, Claridge, Puckett, Stewart, Phillips, Randall.

Paul Clark missed out; Guy Butters - he did a good job for us.

Thats Chrissie following up after the penalty miss .

I remember very few games when there were big away crowds as during my time many of the games were a Friday night but I remember Cardiff had a big crowd down for the FA cup 4th round 1975 and I remember a league game against Crystal palace when they had a huge crowd down in the South bank i cant remember many other games where there were big away crowds on the South bank oh yeah Aston villa when they had a season in the third division they brought a big crowd
Lincoln brought a fair few in '81. There must have been a good 1500 on the South and there were some in the South paddock, from what I could see from the North bank. Some of their fans later claimed they brought 2500 but that's b*llox.

Sheff Wed (1-1, March 1980) brought loads. I can also think of Fulham (0-0 1982) who might have had 1500 tops. Perhaps also Gillingham (0-1, April '79). I never saw anyone beat Wolves though for fans on the old South.

I didn't go the Watford FA Cup game (1978, approx. 15,600 att) or the West Ham league cup tie (1979, approx. 20,000 att) but Watford and West Ham must have brought loads to generate that kind of attendance at Roots Hall. I'd be interested to know because in all my years following Southend I never saw more than 10,600 home fans at a game (Rochdale '81), except for Liverpool and the associated Brentford voucher game.

I saw big away followings in later years (Sunderland 1988, 1-4 and West Ham, 1993, 1-0) but by then the old South had gone, sadly.

Palace was a Friday night 13 Sept 74. 6th game of the season - we’d started with 4 wins and a draw and Palace were managed by Malcolm Allison. If I remember correctly Spud Taylor scored the only goal of the game for them. 17,394 at the Hall.

The same season there were 18,100 for the QPR cup tie.

Cardiff cup tie in 1976 was 12,863.

10,990 for the Watford league game in Nov 78 and 15,365 for the cup replay the following season. 11,406 for the League game in April 79.

West Ham league cup tie Oct 79 -22,429.

Lincoln April 81 11,955 then after the Rochdale game in May 81 (10,668) the next 5 figure crowd was in April 87 10,369 against Wolves.

The next was 10,664 against Cambridge United in April 91.

West Ham in the league April 93 - 12,813 and Luton 11,042.

Yeovil in April 2005 - 11,735

Not so.

He had played 4 games previously. He didn't feature again for over two years when, with a nice symmetry, he played a further 4 matches.
OK I stand corrected, I been wrong for years then Unwittingl, I was at the game though.

Away at Carlisle with Neville Southall in goal. Was it 5-0 - terrible but the trip on the Settle Carlisle train was good!

I was at this as well. Went by train and nearly got stabbed pre game and it was freezing and we lost 5-0.

With Trevor fitzpatrick up top it was never going to be easy.

does anyone remember the story of the guy that bunked it up to Carlisle on the train late 70's early 80's I believe for 12p

Back