• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

were you there??

graysblue

Banned
season 1970ish ?

blues legend billy best missed several games through injury,he returned for the stiffs against orient ,best played like a demon scoring 5 in the 7 0 romp.

this reserve game attracted over 7000 to the hall just wondered if anyone on here attended that night.

7000 for reserve football....................kids would not believe it

No, I was -8 at the time!

i was only 9!!!

my old man used to take me to all games at the hall,those days the seated fans could hire cushions when the lads played crap several hundred cushions would reighn down on the players ,trust me those cushions were heavy buggers hence why the lads sprinted off at the end.

wasn't there but shows what a top man best was.

how many of the current squad would attract a decent crowd if they had to play for the reserves?

I was a regular in those days. Used to go with my Dad, but often had to leave early as he worked the night shift at Fords.

But was was not at that reserve game.

season 1970ish ?

blues legend billy best missed several games through injury,he returned for the stiffs against orient ,best played like a demon scoring 5 in the 7 0 romp.

this reserve game attracted over 7000 to the hall just wondered if anyone on here attended that night.

.... and nor would I.

Billy Best joined in early 1968. I saw his debut - a goalless draw at Chester. He kept himself remarkably fit and only had one serious injury throughout his career at the club. He missed a number of games near the beginning of the 1969-70 season but at that time home first team crowds were round about that 7000 figure. I don't think George Best, let alone Billy Best, would have attracted that many to a reserve match then. I really have no recollection of such a reserve match. There was one reserve match against QPR somewhat earlier that had a massive crowd but I can't remember exactly why.

Last edited:
Was privileged to see him almost single handedly destroy Kings Lynn 9.0 and then Brentwood 10.1 in the first to rounds of the FA cup. But In those days there were no such thing as sweepers the centre half was more or less on his own, apart from his two full backs so play favoured the strikers. Would be interesting to see how he would cope with todays deffensive systems. My god if someone had said in the 60's to 70's that one day sides would only play with one out and out striker, people would have thought you were mad.

.... and nor would I.

Billy Best joined in early 1968. I saw his debut - a goalless draw at Chester. He kept himself remarkably fit and only had one serious injury throughout his career at the club. He missed a number of games near the beginning of the 1970-71 season but at that time home first team crowds were round about that 7000 figure. I don't think George Best, let alone Billy Best, would have attracted that many to a reserve match then. I really have no recollection of such a reserve match. There was one reserve match against QPR somewhat earlier that had a massive crowd but I can't remember exactly why.

Confirmed what I thought Mick.

The QPR reserve game you are thinking about was a player returning from injury, namely Rodney Marsh. IIRC the crowd that night was around 3800.

Last edited:
I confirm what Mick and Canveyshrimper said, I was a regular at reserve games at the time and certainly went to the QPR game but don't remember this game and I'm sure I would have gone unless I'd been away perhaps?

DoDtS

hopefully someone will remember this game?

BB had missed several games and not even the club expected such a crowd,the crowd was approx 7300 if my memory is correct,the game was played on a warm monday evening.

maybe my date is wrong? maybe 1969? the 1st team attracted gates of 10,000 sometimes hitting 12000.

i think the 1st team played in the blue/white stripes kit.

i can also recall the local rag having headlines regarding this game.

BB had missed several games and not even the club expected such a crowd,the crowd was approx 7300 if my memory is correct,the game was played on a warm monday evening.

maybe my date is wrong? maybe 1969? the 1st team attracted gates of 10,000 sometimes hitting 12000.

Sorry mate, but I think your memory must be playing tricks on you. The QPR game which attracted 3000+ is the only reserve game that I can recall that ever attracted anything like a huge crowd.

Have you definitely got the right team?

season 1970ish ?

This is definately incorrect. Sorry graysblue.

Wasn't he involved in our 4-1 drubbing of Northampton town in 71/72? Remember seeing that match and later the highlights on TV , in the window of a High Street shop.
We were in blue and white stripes in the 1969/70 season. I was confused for a moment because the original Yogi Bear, in his few live apearances before retiring to the Pyrénées , also wore blue and white stripes but that was back in 1962/3.

Wasn't he involved in our 4-1 drubbing of Northampton town in 71/72? Remember seeing that match and later the highlights on TV , in the window of a High Street shop.
We were in blue and white stripes in the 1969/70 season. I was confused for a moment because the original Yogi Bear, in his few live apearances before retiring to the Pyrénées , also wore blue and white stripes but that was back in 1962/3.

Yes, in fact he was involved in just about every drubbing we managed in those 5 years and there were plenty with a 4-1 being very low on the scale. The blue and white stripes ( a la West Brom) were chosen by the fans from a small selection after the Football League banned our Scotland blue kit of the previous great season due to it clashing with the referees' kit in those days.

didn't he come onto the pitch and half time during one of the games last season and got a great reception.

Back