• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

overseas shrimper

Life President⭐
Last week it was my birthday and, as a great (and huge) surprise, my missus found a brilliant way of getting me to the airport last Friday and handing me tickets to fly over for the West Brom game.

I was stunned. All had been arranged for a long time with my brother. Before I knew it, I was in the air and on my way to watch one of the games I was most annoyed about having to miss.

I returned in the wee hours of this morning... exhausted... but still buzzing.

My thoughts on the day:

The journey up to Brom with my brother wasn't too bad considering the road works on the M1. We arrived at the ground in good time and took in some beer and a lovely Chicken Balti pie.

The ground was quite tidy with a huge East Stand. Our support was pretty good in numbers and vocally excellent. I finished the day with a soar throat.

The game was everything I could have hoped for (apart from 3 points for us). It was end to end stuff and never really became boring.

I can see some of the points about Paynter, Gutts and JCR. Paynter seems to be a bit sluggish and lacks a bit of awareness (although a sublime early ball out from defence almost set Eastwood up for a fantastic counter-attack). I think Paynter played better when the subs were made and he dropped deeper.

Gutts just isn't the instrumental figure he was when I watched him last season. Hopefully this is something he can overcome soon.

JCR, though, is a gem for me. A bit of a rough one at the moment... but if Tilly and Brush can coach him into delivering something more effective more often after his usual great work... he'll be a hell of a player. I have rarely seen a player who covers so much ground, be it in attack or defence.

Out of the defenders, Clarke was the one that worried me the most. I thought Francis worked hard and got forward well at times, as did Hammell (good set pieces from the Scot as well). Barrett was his usual committed self.

Maher was also a key figure, really controlling our midfield and liking attack and defence well. Eastwood was lively and looked hungry for a goal.

Flavs made some brilliant saves and deserves the recognition he is getting in the media for his display.

Once again, we looked much improved with Tilly's substitutions. Harrold made a huge difference to our attack... macking it look much more lively and difficult to deal with.

I have seen some postings about our fans booing and throwing insults at our players. Thankfully though, I can't remember hearing any such stupidity from where we were sitting.

The drive back was much better. We took the M40 instead of the M1 and we felt as though we had won the game.

biggrin.gif

Thanks to my missus for a fantastic birthday surprise (which she couldn't join me on because of the pending little Shrimper due in about 5 weeks time) and thanks to my brother and family for helping make all this happen.

Glad you got to come see us
biggrin.gif

Your point on paynter being played deeper made me wonder if Tilly should try converting him to a central midfielder, he could become a good player in that position.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (silentshrimper @ Sep. 18 2006,16:07)]Glad you got to come see us
biggrin.gif

Your point on paynter being played deeper made me wonder if Tilly should try converting him to a central midfielder, he could become a good player in that position.
By Joe i think he's got it.

Like it

Hmmm interesting. Could work well away from home. Playing as a supporting striker, like Baptista for arsenal does...
rock.gif

Paynter may be used as a wide-right midfielder, like Bradbury was last season and indeed Paynter was for the final minutes against West Brom, but I doubt he'll be converted to a central midfielder.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 18 2006,16:02)]Thanks to my missus for a fantastic birthday surprise (which she couldn't join me on because of the pending little Shrimper due in about 5 weeks time) and thanks to my brother and family for helping make all this happen.
Any thoughts on names for the wee bairn yet Mark?

Stan, Freddy, Eastwood or Tilly if it's a boy?
Flahavan, Freddy, Sodje or Shrimpa if it's a girl?

oops.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ Sep. 18 2006,16:50)]Paynter may be used as a wide-right midfielder, like Bradbury was last season and indeed Paynter was for the final minutes against West Brom, but I doubt he'll be converted to a central midfielder.
I don't think he would do as well as Bradbury did outwide. Quite often Paynter drifted well inside ending up nearly as a supporting striker, whereas Bradbury holds the line out wide quite well.

And I'm with you on this one too, I dont think he could be a centre mid, purely because his touch isn't the best, and his turning circle is quite slow. He would probably get caught in possession quite a lot.

I don't think Bradbury did that well outwide. He's got a nice touch but wasn't mobile enough and as a result tended to just lay it off to the right-back Gordon Connelly style. Paynter is a bit more mobile, but hasn't got his touch.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ Sep. 18 2006,17:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ Sep. 18 2006,16:02)]Thanks to my missus for a fantastic birthday surprise (which she couldn't join me on because of the pending little Shrimper due in about 5 weeks time) and thanks to my brother and family for helping make all this happen.
Any thoughts on names for the wee bairn yet Mark?

Stan, Freddy, Eastwood or Tilly if it's a boy?
Flahavan, Freddy, Sodje or Shrimpa if it's a girl?

oops.gif
We have options, but alas, none are SUFC related.

sad.gif

Back