• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Keep up read all the posts. This is nothing to do with where you live locally or being a Southend exile, like another poster. It's from someone living in the Southend area, like you, posting on a Southend fans forum, giving my view on west ham fans in Southend, wearing west ham shirts in Southend. If they live here like you do, I feel they should support their local professional league club ie Southend or at least not wear west ham shirts around the town. No- one has to agree with me, this forum is here to voice opinions.

Right, so by your reckoning Southend fans aren't allowed to move away from Southend, regardless of work/family commitments, or their general lives outside the club. If they do have the nerve to take this monstrous step they must change allegiance to whichever local professional club that happens to be closest to them, in my case AFC Wimbledon, in spite of my 25 years of supporting Southend and regardless of my lack of affinity to AFC Wimbledon or the local area. If you genuinely believe this then you have absolutely no idea what it means to be a real football fan.

It's for the best that you're advocating people to disagree with you, you're talking utter utter toss.

My take on Supporting a team is that its perfectly normal to support a premiership team. I never had anyone pushing me to support Southend as my parents support Arsenal as thats where they moved down from.

People should however have an affinity to the club local to their birth place ( Iwas born in Rochford and raised in Benfleet) as well if thats what they do. I find it annoying for example seeing people like Countdowns Rachel Riley bleating on about Man Utd when she went to school hundreds of yards from Roots Hall. By all means support them (her Dad is a Man Utd fan) but show some appreciation for your local side too.

If you support a premiership side fine but if you are born in Southend it would be nice to also support Southend, If you are born in Norwich support Norwich, if you are born in Ipswich support Ipswich, if you are born in Colchester support Ipswich. Simples.

Blimey thats taking things even further.

Not wanting West Ham shirts in the home ends is one thing, but to expect no other football fans to where their shirts around Southend is a bit much.

Errrhhhh ....... that would be fine with me! :smile: Anyone found within the environs of Southend wearing another team's shirt should be given an automatic fine ........ or the opportunity to buy a Southend replica shirt. Good for the club and, although they might not appreciate it at the time, it would be good for the offender(s).

Clearly this law would not apply on match days ............... that would just be silly. :nope:

Blimey thats taking things even further.

Not wanting West Ham shirts in the home ends is one thing, but to expect no other football fans to where their shirts around Southend is a bit much.

Especially as we're a seaside resort that depends/depended on day trippers from London to come and spend some of their money here; would be a bit of an ask to stop them wearing their shirts on a day out at the seaside......

That I can live with, just don't want to see them inside the Hall.

Some people when they are young and maybe the father is not interested in football so get to go to there first matches
taken by another person like dads best friend or Grandads or uncles its those first formative games which you watch that i believe endears you to a team not where you live and its that impression that excites kids so if for example if your grandad bothered to pick you up every Saturday to take you to say Fulham to watch every game even reserves its very likely you would stay a Fulham supporter all your life as your first team..... lets face it people may change there wives or husband once or twice but very rarely do they change football clubs but dont mean they cant support a more local side especially not in same division

I don't always understand what is so bad about supporting West Ham in Southend, when you consider the amount of people, like my grandparents, who were born and raised in East London who went on to move here. Many families support West Ham for that reason and its not unfeasible that their children will support the family team. Many kids grow up supporting their dad's team. This means there is always goign to be a lot of West Ham shirts in Southend, but I don't see why that should be a problem for so many Southend fans. I chose to support Southend as I was born here but have absolutely no problem with West Ham as that is my family's team and always look out for their results. At the end of the day, I spend my money watching Southend at Roots Hall and purchasing Southend merchandise but see no problem 'following' a second team.

Incidently, for anyone getting tickets, don't get caught out by the shop not being open on Saturdays at the moment.

Back