• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

West Stand and Cashless Card

shaneyshrimper

First XI
Can you believe it. We can only use the payment cards tonight as the west stand concessions are not accepting cash tonight for food and drink!!!

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2022937,00.html

What a joke. I have a cashless payment card from Barclays, but no I cant use that. This is going to cause utter chaos!!

Talk about making life difficult for yourself and especially us!!!

Miniimum top up is £5.00, sounds like funding by the back door..

Annoyed of Eastwood

Its a bit crappy but then how can thry be expected to test it if you dont have to use it. Everyone would just stick to cash.

so i fancy a burger tonight i will now buy outside rather than inside because they don't accept cash. clearly this means they are losing money. i can't be arsed to start topping up my card all i want is a burger for gods sake. i bet a lot of people feel the same.

really do not see the point. stupid stupid idea.

So if i want a beer today i will Queue up to put a £5 on my card, then Queue up again in the bar and on top of that pay a £5 for a beer. It will not work

Mention number 14: The club don't make money from the refreshment stalls.

So we get our card and, hypothetically, make a special journey to the Box Office (as suggested on the official site) and put, say, a tenner on it.

The club will hang on to that money until they receive a claim from the franchisee when a purchase is made. They are unlikely to be giving the franchisee the full amount until it's spent. Therefore the club get the money in before it's spent. They also pick up the benefits of any lost/unused cards.

Certainly jumping through ridiculous hoops is not going to "enhance my matchday experience" - just the opposite. The best way would be to serve good quality, good value food and beer, efficiently. Paying money doesn't take that long really especially with modern tills.

Sorry I missed the first 13 mentions, I'd have replied sooner.

my card has yet to arrive...im gonna kick off at the bar tonight if they wont let me pay cash (assuming its still not at home)

seems crazy to start this tonight with a bumper crowd expected due to cheap tickets (again)

i can imagine many day trippers with kids not knowing about this scheme

the food & beer is **** so why bother buying it anyway !?

Girth x

my card has yet to arrive...im gonna kick off at the bar tonight if they wont let me pay cash (assuming its still not at home)

seems crazy to start this tonight with a bumper crowd expected due to cheap tickets (again)

i can imagine many day trippers with kids not knowing about this scheme

the food & beer is **** so why bother buying it anyway !?

Girth x

Doesn't apply to the family stand, only the rest of the West.

Last edited:
Well, am not putting money on mine just in case I want a bovril at half time. Wouldn't touch the food with a barge pole!

where do the family stand (in the west stand) go to get drinks & foods, i thought it was the main west stand kiosk?

either way there will be lots of day trippers in the whole west stand who will have no idea of this & causing queues.

Family Stand has its own 2 Tea Bars, one at the back of the West Stand in the corner and one in the South Lower in the corner.

Why will there be lots of 'day trippers' in the main part of the West Stand?

so i fancy a burger tonight i will now buy outside rather than inside because they don't accept cash. clearly this means they are losing money. i can't be arsed to start topping up my card all i want is a burger for gods sake. i bet a lot of people feel the same.

really do not see the point. stupid stupid idea.

Also it is cheaper outside the ground and you can get onions. I used to go to The Railway to get a burger as it was on-route.

stupid idea from a what seems to be a clueless scheme, if you just want a hot chocolate you have to top up with a fiver minimum.

1, costing the club money
2, people will just take there own stuff in

dont the club realise this aint gonna work

I wasn't aware of this until today as I never buy inside the ground. My better half wanted a drink at ht so I scraped together my loose change. It would have been intersting if the woman serving had given me the bottle of coke I asked for before I got my money out, because I would have kept it. It is illegal NOT to accept cash when offered. I could hardly be arrested for theft if I had offered them money.

Next time she comes we'll just bring our own.

Back