• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Weymouth 0-1 Southend United

Wondering what people make of the Gard / Atkinson situation. Up until a few weeks ago I was thinking Will wouldn’t survive January, but last few games he has been excellent. Yesterday in particular in tough conditions never stopped running and did his job well. However he is limited in what he can do.

Gard, I really like. He has had rotten luck with injuries but is a player. Not sure Kev trusts him though. Apparently he has spoken to a number of clubs about possibly moving on which for me would be a shame and certainly if he stays fit could have a bright future. Should we risk losing him over keeping Will for example? Do we need to move one or both on to bring in new?

one thing I feel we still need is a creative midfielder. Could bridge play this role? Think he is the one player in the team with the ability to take on a player and create chances.

guess these are the questions Stan and John Still need to find the answers to

Kev did not make a wrong decision just because you don't like them. Murphy wastes chances because he is a real nuisance and always involved. If the oppo could choose one of ours to miss out he would be that player.

Dalby is being used to hold the ball up and has improved this season. A priceless skill when your one up away from home. Target/hold up man is the same as keeping, it takes years to learn your trade. Made even harder in the modern world where defenders can openly fail without being punished by weak refs. Two handed shoves that border on whiplash and clear shirt pulling have always been a foul and still are.

With a stack of home games to come the best thing us fans could do is remind the officials of the rules of Association Football. I dot mean an East Green moan after we don't get the decision..... I mean a collective roar while the ball is in the air at the first sign of offence. That way the ref goes for his whistle in a state of pure "I won't get out of here alive" panic.......Thats what being a fan is all about. :Winking:
Kev didn't make a wrong decision - I said so.

He had no choice after MD ran himself to water.
Murphy wastes chances because he is a real nuisance? Excuse me?
He wastes chances because he is an NL striker in so-so form.

I agree the officialdom in the league is fifth rate as befits its status.

But I've seen an awful lot of it for the job, and unless there is a future FA directive, the shirt-pulling nonsense etc has little chance of punishment - regardless of crowd reactions.

BTW, you're asking an awful lot for fans to leap up at that exact millisecond there is a 'foul'. That aint gonna happen either.

That leaves Murphy and Dalby finding other ways of scoring that doesn't include selfish wafts into the car park.

BTW, to support your referee point. Egbri got little shrift when frequently fouled, but that's where it's a cruel unequal world.

PS. Don't like 'dislike' Murphy (or Dalby) just wished they would convert a few more gilt-edged chances.
I've counted six points gone a-begging when either has missed very good opportunities since August, as well as four more badly missed chances when we lost or won anyway.

Kev didn't make a wrong decision - I said so.

He had no choice after MD ran himself to water.
Murphy wastes chances because he is a real nuisance? Excuse me?
He wastes chances because he is an NL striker in so-so form.

I agree the officialdom in the league is fifth rate as befits its status.

But I've seen an awful lot of it for the job, and unless there is a future FA directive, the shirt-pulling nonsense etc has little chance of punishment - regardless of crowd reactions.

BTW, you're asking an awful lot for fans to leap up at that exact millisecond there is a 'foul'. That aint gonna happen either.

That leaves Murphy and Dalby finding other ways of scoring that doesn't include selfish wafts into the car park.

BTW, to support your referee point. Egbri got little shrift when frequently fouled, but that's where it's a cruel unequal world.

PS. Don't like 'dislike' Murphy (or Dalby) just wished they would convert a few more gilt-edged chances.
I've counted six points gone a-begging when either has missed very good opportunities since August, as well as four more badly missed chances when we lost or won anyway.

I saw this in our first friendly at Roots hall early in the pre season. Murphy had a ridiculous shot that the keeper spilled and Dalby tapped in. He should have passed it to him first time, as he was un-marked in the middle. (I can't remember who it was against someone will)

It was early in his Southend career but nothing has changed since.

I know good strikers are greedy etc, but Murphy selfishly goes for goal when others are better placed.

That said he has scored a variety of goals (one that hit him on the bum v Aldershot aside)
And he has a career in professional football (and I don't). And I know a lot of other non-league clubs would love him on their books

the players haven't had a full 90 minutes since the 26th December and with covid amongst them as well, they lasted well yesterday, we do need to get a few more faces in as the squad is a little bit thin on the ground
some good one touch football and to be honest yes they could and should have scored more than the one but I will take the 0-1 win anyday
now will he keep the same line up for Tuesday, who knows, it will be a tougher game for sure but another one goal win for us will do me
great supprt yesterday and a nice little set up down at Weymouth very friendly stewards and staff which is always good to see
they did well to get the game on with all that rain and the pitch looked in good nick at the end,I hope they stay up as it woulkd be a nice away game again for next season

a nice little set up down at Weymouth very friendly stewards and staff which is always good to see

Glad the fans were treated well, it doesn’t sound like the media had such a happy time of it from what Glenn Speller was saying on BBC Essex - in fact he said that Nick Alliker and Glen Pennyfather were thrown out of the ground before the programme was finished!

Glad the fans were treated well, it doesn’t sound like the media had such a happy time of it from what Glenn Speller was saying on BBC Essex - in fact he said that Nick Alliker and Glen Pennyfather were thrown out of the ground before the programme was finished!
They were seated in the last row of the red seats behind us fans. It was a bit weird hearing Nick’s commentary, during those rare moments when the fans were quiet!

A good away day yesterday. Atkos found the Duracells, and put in his best performance to date.

Bring on the Yeovil fellow Shrimpers.

Shoutout to Goodship - I am always fearful that an ex player will score against us but yesterday he was woeful. I can’t believe he was signed for us when in L1, I guess that sums up our decline! His best bit of play was when he stormed down the tunnel after being subbed!
And it had nothing to do with the fact, that when Kevin Bond was appt manager, he also lived in Weymouth....

Thoroughly deserved win and great day in the presence of a great amount of fellow shrimpers. To the man who found my wallet in the pub and got the barman to make an announcement so I could get it back, if you're on here please get in contact so I can arrange a thank you gesture.

He has scored in the last 3 games. So with a game on Tuesday you would have to be a real dumb manger to run him into the ground whilst winning on a Saturday.

Taking a player off with a view to a future game is good thinking.

At 19, his (Dennis) body/pysiology* is still developing so it doesn't surprise me that he can't last 90 minutes at the moment - that will come with time.

Mind you, Dalby is only a little older but clearly has a lot more experience (in his legs).

* have I go the right term there?

At 19, his (Dennis) body/pysiology* is still developing so it doesn't surprise me that he can't last 90 minutes at the moment - that will come with time.

Mind you, Dalby is only a little older but clearly has a lot more experience (in his legs).

Rattus - sorry, I don't think so. < https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiology >

Perhaps you were looking for 'physique'?

Thoroughly deserved win and great day in the presence of a great amount of fellow shrimpers. To the man who found my wallet in the pub and got the barman to make an announcement so I could get it back, if you're on here please get in contact so I can arrange

It's nice when that happens. I once unknowingly dropped my wallet in a bustling queue approaching the turnstile at Fratton Park. I was unwisely wearing a Shrimpers scarf (it was freezing cold). Tap on the shoulder, turn round, huge Pompey fan with tattoos on his face......gulp. Big smile, hands me back my wallet.

Man, was I grateful.....

I think that Dennis had run himself into the ground by then for the cause too

Back