• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What’s happened to our defence?

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
From conceding 2 goals in 9 we’ve conceded 9 in the last 5.

Our defence has largely been unchanged (Blondy and Ralph coming in to try and halt the leaking of goals).

The midfield is largely unchanged (notwithstanding Mooney getting a couple of starts and Taylor not starting at Aldershot) so is it the loss of Callum Powell’s work-rate?

I think the lack of threat up front has had a marked impact, Powell was a constant nuisance but its more the overall press that has been a bit lacking

Agreed but we shipped 3 at Gateshead, 2 at Aldershot etc before that.

The 2 at Aldershot can be easily overlooked IMO. The first goal come from the worst error of the season to that point, and then we know what happened in the very next game, and a good set piece. No keeper we have would have saved that second effort and I don't think it was particularly badly defended just their lad got higher and timed his run perfectly.

But in answer to the original question...
Yes I think the press from the front is massively missed. It's Powell's best attribute and despite not being his biggest fan we're desperately missing him at the moment

Colin is a loss but has Ralph come back in and as captain taken over the organising of the defence instead of Lapota?
Just because Ralph has come back in Lapota can still marshall the defence. He doesn't (and shouldn't) stay quite just because Ralph is back.

Would Ralph also be taking over the organising of the midfield and the forward line from way back in defence? Each team member should organise themselves and not be afraid to organise others alongside them or in front.

Only seen one of the recent games but (apart from a couple of uncharacteristic catastrophic mistakes by defenders) the problems were because of failings further up the pitch. Less vigorous pressing, less movement to be available and give an outlet, less control so the ball is coming straight back at us, less robust in challenging for 50/50's and less energy looking for the second ball. A back line can't keep clean sheets with that going on in front of them. A combination of complacency after a good run and injuries and not because of any off field distractions. Back on track from tomorrow hopefully.

I think Collin's loss was a massive factor last weekend. They didn't seem to have a great deal of understanding, so let's hope that's been worked on this week.
I think that's too much of a get out which instantly puts blame on the new keeper.

As Yorkshire Blue said, we conceded two at Aldershot. We were all over the place defensively that day. That was also the case at Gateshead. Colin played in both.

Lopata hasn't been as commanding and since winning the player of the month, Hobson hasn't hit the form that he set himself. They are both young and this will happen.

Ralph coming in hasn't improved the team. It sacrificed our main attacking outlet down the left. Bridge used to push the winger and fullback back into their own half which meant we weren't being tested. I think Maher saw this after Aldershot and rectified it, at the cost of Kensdale, who I thought was playing well but maybe was to blame for the second goal (did he lose his marker?).

Powell being absent is a huge loss. He got us up the pitch and made sure the opposition stayed further back. In recent games, the opposition has stepped up and that's because we have no one in behind.

Last edited:
Probably the financial problems getting worse in the last couple of weeks and more people not getting paid. Fear of not being paid next.

We did very well when it first started but its now taking its toll

Last edited:
A whole concoction of things, I think.

Maher being too hasty to change shape and personal after the Gateshead loss.

Losing Collin who I think gave the defence confidence.

Unsettling things by shoehorning Ralph back in.

Not defending from the front as much without Powell, ball not sticking up top as much and opposition finding it easier to get out of their defensive 3rd against us, so ball comes back quicker and puts pressure back on our defence.

Cumulative loss of confidence as what should have been a one-game blip at Gateshead has turned into a 3-game winless streak and 9 goals conceded as a result of the other things I've mentioned above.

I don't rate Ralph, which I'm aware won't be a popular opinion. His work rate is high and he gets around the pitch, but he's not great defensively and he's fairly predictable when he's going forwards on the left too. Time for a change I'd suggest, when his contract is up.

Bringing Ralph in for Kensdale was a big mistake IMO, unless it was injury related. Although Collin's not the best he's definitely better than Blondie that's for sure.
I think Louis Lomas deserves more opportunities than he so far received. He was dropped to accommodate the signing of Lopata, but perhaps Lomas, not Ralph, should replace Kensdale if he is injured or having tantrums on the bench.

The goalkeeper situation was always going to bite us in the bottom eventually.
I'll stick my neck out and say Lopata has been off for a bit now.
Sorry but Taylor in the middle of the park is not for me, moves around laboriously.
Then chuck in the lack of hold up play from our forwards...ball comes back quickly.

The goalkeeper situation was always going to bite us in the bottom eventually.
I'll stick my neck out and say Lopata has been off for a bit now.
Sorry but Taylor in the middle of the park is not for me, moves around laboriously.
Then chuck in the lack of hold up play from our forwards...ball comes back quickly.

Yes, I agree with this point about Taylor, we're missing Noor.

Back