• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What are our supporters really like?

WHat do you think of Matt Harrold

• He's good - proved his worth to the team. Team plays better with him.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • He's not our best option but can do a job for the team as a plan B.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Jury's out. We've not played to his strengths or giving him good enough service.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • He's sometimes good; sometimes not. If we encourage him, he's more likely to come good.

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • He's young for his type of role. He may come good.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • He always gives 100% so I will never boo or swear at him.

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • He's not good but I don't think we should swear at or boo him.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • He's no good. I see no reason why we shouldn't swear at or boo him.

Votes: 9 10.1%

• Total voters

ElstreeBlue

Coach
This is not designed to be yet another Matt Harrold thread, but I am using Matt Harrold for the poll as he seems to stir emotions as to what we feel as a Southend fan.

I've been concerned with some of the things I've read on here. We may all differ with our opinions, but I hope the vast majority of us disagree with the way Matt has been treated by some of our "supporters". Please prove me right. I urge as many of you to take part in this poll and vote naturally - not necessarily what you think the right answer should be.

Let's see what the majority (whether silent OR vocal) really think...

Last edited:
This is not designed to be yet another Matt Harrold thread, but I am using Matt Harrold for the poll as he seems to stir emotions as to what we feel as a Southend fan.

I've been concerned with some of the things I've read on here. We may all differ with our opinions, but I hope the vast majority of us disagree with the way Matt has been treated by some of our "supporters". Please prove me right. I urge as many of you to take part in this poll and vote naturally - not necessarily what you think the right answer should be.

Let's see what the silent and vocal majority really think...

Silent and vocal?

I'm not gonna lie, i think he's p!ss poor and i have got so frustrated with his performances and lack of goals that i have shouted at him (maybe in hope he will bang in a couple and stick two fingers up at me which i would accept) though i don't boo because you're not actually expressing what you think of his performance. If he does do something good, i will say well done though that hasn't been too often :thumbdown:

I voted for the "He's not good enough, but I'll give him my vocal support
when he's in a blue shirt" option.

I'm not a fan of chants such as "If you're glad it was Harrold [getting sent off] clap your hands!".

Dont rate him much at the moment but while hes wearing a mighty shrimpers shirt i will support all his efforts to score goals

Well I voted: He's not our best option but can do a job for the team as a plan B.

But I would have said 2 or 3 of these statements were accurate. I really don't think he's that bad a player at all for us. I know he hasn't scored many, but he worked hard, was committed and set up lots when he was in the team.

I hope he keeps at it and proves his doubters wrong someday, whether here or at another club

Last edited:
I voted for the "He's not good enough, but I'll give him my vocal support
when he's in a blue shirt" option.

I'm not a fan of chants such as "If you're glad it was Harrold [getting sent off] clap your hands!".

Where is that option as that's the one I would have gone for too...or has it been edited slightly?

Thanks all for voting.

As I said at the outset, this was not a vote intended to see what we all thought of Matt Harrold (although it's quite interesting to see how people's views are split about him) but to see what our fans are like as fans. I was interested to see how many of our fans voted for the last option and how many voted for the others combined.

I find it encouraging that only about 10% of our fans think they should boo or swear at a Southend player like Matt who gives his best for the cause (even if his best, in some people's opinion, is not good enough). No doubt there will be some who think similar treatment should be given to Hunt/Gower/Francis, etc (take your pick). Safe to say that any boo boys would all have chosen Matt Harrold, though - that's why I made the poll with him as the focus.

I have no problem with having a debate with people as to whether we see Matt as a good plan B, or we don't know if he's right yet or if he's just not up to it - we're all entitled to our views. But the key stat is 90% of us don't want to see our players booed or sworn at. That's great. I'm concerned that 10% do, though. Although 10% is a small proportion, that's still about 700 home fans who can make a lot of noise while the rest of us stay silent.

What can we do?

Firstly - I appeal to the 10% - you can surely see from this that you're in the minority. You're very vocal but don't represent what the vast majority (many silent) want. The consensus is clearly - like him, don't like him or not sure about him - we want to support and encourage Matt Harrold and the rest of our players. While many of us "let off steam" or shout or sigh, etc, the vast majority don't like seeing our players booed or sworn at. Please don't do it - you're not speaking for most of us and are giving the wrong - negative - impression to our players, and certainly not contributing to making Roots Hall a fortress that we all want to see.

Secondly - if you're one of the other 90% - even the 1/3 who don't rate Matt Harrold (or Hunt, Francis, etc) but don't want to see him booed and sworn at - let's do our best to redress the balance. Rather than allow the booers to dominate the noise amongst our fans and create an uncomfortable feeling of negativity, let's encourage the player (even if you go away from the game saying why do we have player "X"), and let's cheer all of our players - particularly loudly if you think they are the target of any of our boo boys. If you know any fans who boo, you may also want to speak up and suggest it's not helpful.

It's time that the vocal majority made our voices heard.

Let's all get behind the Blues!

Particularly interested to hear thoughts from people who voted in the second last option - ie don't rate Matt but don't want to boo or swear at him.

Back