• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What is your minimum expectation of Freddy this season?

• 30+ goals

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • 20+ goals

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • 10+ goals

Votes: 79 69.9%
  • 5+ goals

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • No goals, but who cares!! Dadadada

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
I think everybody is expecting big things from the return of our very own prodigal son this season, but after missing a sitter from four yards last night it did lead me to think what should we really expect from Freddy in league 2?

Now don't start having a go at me saying I've taken a miss in the lads first 45 mins of pre-season game and turned it into a "Freddy's lost it" debate, it merely lead me to asking myself what should we really expect form him this year.

Many things have changed since the last time he was here; manager, team, division, style of play and for me most important of all, Fred's confidence in himself. A fair few seasons of being played out of position or on the bench in a very tough division led to low morale and apparent weight issues, combine all this with a knee injury, saw a return of just 2 goals in 11 games in a poor league 2.

Class is permanent, but so many times do you see a player with real ability fail to perform due to low confidence, and how many times does a "legends" return to a football club not play up to all the hype?

So my question is, realistically, what is the minimum we should expect from Fred this season, taking into account all of the other contributing factors and not just his pure ability- which we all know he has.

I'm expecting 15+ from Freddy if he stays fit. However having said that he looks more of an all-round player now than an out-and-out goalscorer so while he may or may not be as prolific I'm quite sure he will make a fair contribution in other areas regardless.

Its simple really . Freddy is not the same player that left us. In the championship he simply couldnt try to beat players and score all the time so he had to adapt. That also meant he wasnt so potent as a striker.

Couple this with not much football and its plain to see that freddy is woefully out of form.

The good news is that we have a very good manager freddy is back home and getting fitter and the opposition we will be facing will be far inferior to that in the championship.

Get freddy smiling and gelling with the team and the goals will come. Quality never leaves a player its just age and desire that make a player fail.

Freddy is young enough to still be a force for years to come an is back where he belongs so should be eager to impress.

I have every faith we will see 20 goals this season and IF we can get him and corr upfront and fit together than i think we will **** this league.

15 would be a good return.

All depends on how we play. Put him in a system where he is playing out wide with Corr up front on his own whilst we play high balls he never gets near then that may not suit him (although he does like getting the ball deep).

Imo we should lower our expectations of what Freddy can achieve, i havnt seen him play since his return, so i ha better leave it to others to asess his worth. I just hope he can get fit and play somewhere near his 2005 form.

What's the record for goals scored in a season?

Whatever that is +1 (no pressure :winking:)

18, starting with a hat trick against Accrington on the opening home game of the season.

12. He's still finding his feet again, last time he came here on fire for Grays.

Anymore than that will be a fantastic bonus.

Drastic™;1414435 said:
12. He's still finding his feet again, last time he came here on fire for Grays.

Anymore than that will be a fantastic bonus.

Agreed when he rocked up last time he was bang in form and played two seasons for a Championship Chasing Side.

This time take into account he has been pretty inactive for the last few years joining a team that are unlikely to be Championship material (Crystal Ball dependent) and we need to have lower expectations for him. I'm not saying he can't or won't recapture his goalscoring form of old, but anyone expecting 20 goals plus is setting the bar very high. Clearly if he bangs in 55 goals and fires us to promotion then we can be pleasantly surprised and assume Fred of Old is back.

i think generally if all our main strikers can get betrween 8 -13 each then we will be fine...anything above that is a bonus

Out of Corr, Eastwood & Harris (and even Benyon) I can't see any of them being "ever present" this season (due to injuries or needing to rested)....so the key for me really will be that we have to look at several different "partnerships" during the course of the season and hope they "click" pretty quickly....not ideal but we are "at where we are at"

I reckon he'll get 11, but I don't really care how many he scores, as soon as he went in the team last season we stopped playing as much hoofball and started playing to feet, so if freddy inspires the team to continue doing that I'm not fussed if he's lost his goalscoring touch.

TBH who cares who scores, so long as the 'team' gets one more than the opponents in every game! :winking:

Really hope I'm wrong, but think this ship has long sailed and sunk under a tsunami of cash, with very little effort made to stay afloat in the Midlands.

NOT the hungry player who originally joined from Grays - hasn't even looked slightly peckish in recent years.

Not expecting a revival of Mary Rose proportions on the Essex Riviera. But he won't drown, as the built-in buoyancy aid is still very much evident.

Really hope I'm wrong, but think this ship has long sailed and sunk under a tsunami of cash, with very little effort made to stay afloat in the Midlands.

NOT the hungry player who originally joined from Grays - hasn't even looked slightly peckish in recent years.

Not expecting a revival of Mary Rose proportions on the Essex Riviera. But he won't drown, as the built-in buoyancy aid is still very much evident.

I thought bikes were your bag Bernie, not boats :smile:

not much tbh, just hope 'the knee' has been sorted and he gets fit and ready for the season, I just get the feeling its not going to be the goal fest many are expecting.

Back