• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What are you reading?

Crabby Shrimper

President
Well, should say what did you last read really.

Received my copy of Football Fables, by our very own Slipperduke, yesterday (after receiving a mail from Amazon telling me it'd be a few more weeks yet!) So, last night, I settled down for bed and thought I'd read a few pages.

Some hope! I couldn't put it down, read the lot in one hit. it's one of those books that each chapter you read leaves you hungry for the next. A collection of fascinating, funny, and insightful stories from ex pros (and all well known ones too)

So, anybody else read it yet? Any more opinions?

Coming to the end of Dangerous Parking, so may have to purchase... any chance of a signed copy Mr Iain?

Just purchased via Amazon! I'll be after a sig :D

Last edited:
My copy of Football Fables should be with me today.

Just finished Shantaram, by Gregory David Roberts... a stunning semi-autobiographical epic about an escaped convict who ends up in Bombay, absolutely amazing and is currently being turned into a film starting Johnny Depp (so well worth reading it beforehand!)

"Thames - Sacred River" by Peter Ackroyd. A cracking history of the River Thames.

To my shame, I didn't realise that it officially ends in Chalkwell/Westcliff, at the 'Crow Stone', hence Crowstone Road.

Mortons%20Steak%20Bible.jpg

Great read

Just finished Ricky Hatton's book which was ok - not as good as I was hoping. The Mayweather chapter seems like it's been put together in five minutes which was a shame.

Coming to the end of Dangerous Parking, so may have to purchase... any chance of a signed copy Mr Iain?

Just purchased via Amazon! I'll be after a sig :D

God I loved that book - my favourite ever I think? Glad to see it still getting so much love on this forum.

I'm currently halfway through Peel's autobiography. It's really odd reading chunks of it, as I interviewed him a few days before he died (for our old Southend-based fanzine ToHellWith...), and loads of his stories in the book are almost word for word the same as what he told me. Guess when people take such an interest in your life you end up getting some stock-stories to tell.

But its a good read nonetheless. Some fascinating insights into his youth. Makes me even more glad I didn't go to a public school...

God I loved that book - my favourite ever I think? Glad to see it still getting so much love on this forum.

I'm currently halfway through Peel's autobiography. It's really odd reading chunks of it, as I interviewed him a few days before he died (for our old Southend-based fanzine ToHellWith...), and loads of his stories in the book are almost word for word the same as what he told me. Guess when people take such an interest in your life you end up getting some stock-stories to tell.

But its a good read nonetheless. Some fascinating insights into his youth. Makes me even more glad I didn't go to a public school...

Yeah picked it up due to Glasgow's (and some others) recommendation on here. I'm jealous that you mean Peely - he's definitely a hero of mine.

Are there any chapters of local interest?

Lots of reference to Essex and individual sections at the back for almost every town of note that is along the river. In it, Canvey Island is referred to as "the loneliest place in all of the British Isles"

Cracking read that. Couldn't believe what a shagger he was!

Lol, if only I could get a time machine and return to 1960's America at the time of the British Invasion. With my dodgy scouse accent, I too could be Ringo Starr's second cousin twice removed :D

Back