• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

It's a wonderful ( but long ) book.Always remember Churchill's comment abot Clem;"He's a modest little man who has a lot to be modest about." Churchill couldn't have been more wrong.
I've heard that Churchill never said that of him and was angry with it being attributed to him because he bloody loved Attlee but I think it gets repeated in the book

I've heard that Churchill never said that of him and was angry with it being attributed to him because he bloody loved Attlee but I think it gets repeated in the book

Alternative facts? I believe it does get mentioned in the book, though I read it sometime ago and can't be sure now.I'd certainly heard the remark attributed to Churchill some time beforehand. It certainly sounds in character and I'd be suprised if WC didn't actually say it.Either way,the point is, I suppose, that they worked pefectly well together in wartime with CA a huge force behind the scenes.

Alternative facts? I believe it does get mentioned in the book, though I read it sometime ago and can't be sure now.I'd certainly heard the remark attributed to Churchill some time beforehand. It certainly sounds in character and I'd be suprised if WC didn't actually say it.Either way,the point is, I suppose, that they worked pefectly well together in wartime with CA a huge force behind the scenes.
It's not in my old edition of the Oxford Book of Quotations which has a couple of pages on Churchill. This was published back in the day when everything was accurately sourced and long before the internet enabled all sorts of nonsense to masquerade as fact. I had always remembered that 'quote' as it sounds so Churchillian, but it's obviously nigh impossible to separate the man from the myth.

"He did say, when President Truman said that Attlee seemed a modest man, “he has much to be modest about.” But that was a private remark, which someone on Truman’s staff overheard and repeated."

A brief internet trawl dragged up this.

Halfway through An American Marriage by Tayari Jones.It's a well-writen update of James Baldwin's If only Beale street could Talk for the Black lives matter movement.Should make a good film.

"Exterminate all the brutes" by Sven Lindqvist which uses Conrad's 'Heart of Darkness' (the title is from that work) as a starting point into the origins of European genocide.

Stranger Than We Can Imagine: Making Sense of the Twentieth Century by John Higgs. Got it as a birthday present and getting it out the way so I can take some pure fun silliness on holiday next week. It's interesting enough though, no worries on that score

Back