• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Finished Patricia Highsmith's Strangers on a Train last night-Enjoyable but curious how little of the book made it into Hitchcock's film.No question that PH was much more interested in guilt than Hitch. though.

Read Allan Clarke-His Fulham Years 1966-68 yesteday.This was the era when we were playing Friday night games and I was playing regularly in the yoof League.Still managed to see Alan Clarke in his Fulham prime a few times though.Wonderful player and probably the best striker Fulham have ever had apart from perhaps Louis Saha.

Read Allan Clarke-His Fulham Years 1966-68 yesteday.This was the era when we were playing Friday night games and I was playing regularly in the yoof League.Still managed to see Alan Clarke in his Fulham prime a few times though.Wonderful player and probably the best striker Fulham have ever had apart from perhaps Louis Saha.

Just started this - so far so good

Just finished this tome by Owen Jones. Although it was published in 2014, and before the seismic political development here in dear old Blighty subsequently, it still has huge relevance in its deconstruction of how the power elite function. Well-written and extensively researched, it's an all too salient reminder of how 'The Establishment' is an inter-linked network that is able to perpetuate its self-interest at the top branches of our societal tree ... and how that power is hugely well-rooted too. It's not a feelgood, escapist book but it's certainly a thought-provoking and informative one.

Owen Jones.jpg

Just finished this tome by Owen Jones. Although it was published in 2014, and before the seismic political development here in dear old Blighty subsequently, it still has huge relevance in its deconstruction of how the power elite function. Well-written and extensively researched, it's an all too salient reminder of how 'The Establishment' is an inter-linked network that is able to perpetuate its self-interest at the top branches of our societal tree ... and how that power is hugely well-rooted too. It's not a feelgood, escapist book but it's certainly a thought-provoking and informative one.

View attachment 14083

His new book (2220) This land :The struggle for the left is well worth a look at too.

View attachment 14083

I would say writing for The Guardian is pretty establishment.

I suspect Owen Jones would disagree.

Last edited:
Neither does Owen Jones.

I remember him being pretty big on Venezuela though.

Ha! The left does have a few blind spots when it comes to Venezuela (or Nicaragua in the past).Being able to speak Spanish certainly helps to recognize tin-pot South/Central- American dictators when you hear them though.

Last edited:
Stuart Christie was very much his own man though his Granny's values did inspire his own moral code. From his fractured young family life in Glasgow of the 1950s to his teenage political activism as the 1960s arrived, he was jailed in Madrid when only eighteen for his complicity in a plot to assassinate General Franco in 1964 and was known as the "kilted bomber" (or whatever the Spanish phrase is) amongst his fellow inmates. Released in '67, he returned to the UK and worked as a gas-fitter but was himself fitted up by the Special Branch in 1971 on charges of conspiring to cause explosions with seven other defendants (who constituted 'The Stoke Newington 8') associated (mistakenly in some cases) with 'The Angry Brigade'. Christie was acquitted but had to move out of London following a police tip-off that they'd "get" him the next time. This fascinating memoir ends in late 1975 with the death of Franco and the writer's "profound sense of relief and satisfaction on the fact that I at least had no-one's blood or conscience on my hands - not even Franco's."

A cracking read. And thanks once again (belatedly) to 'Tangled Up In Blue' for putting it my way a few years ago. Thanks to the lockdown and working part-time now, I finally got around to finishing it this time.

Just discovered that Stuart Christie died last year. > Stuart Christie obituary | Politics | The Guardian

stuart christie.jpg

Last edited:
Sinclair Hackney.jpg

Another one to thank 'Tangled Up In Blue' for - and thanks to the lockdown, I finally got around to completing it. I hope that you're sitting comfittybold and here's my review, darling: -

Iain Sinclair moved to Hackney in 1968 and has lived there since. He wrote this book as the construction of the Olympic Village was well underway and he was concerned as to the effect that this would have on the area. Sinclair’s work is described as ‘psychogeography’ and ‘documentary fiction’ though he concedes that the content here is factual when it “needs to be”. It reads like a detective story with initially seeming streams of consciousness style prose that connects the various scenes and stories linking the different chapters and territories of this weighty tome (of over 580 pages in length).

This is a highly unusual book which I’m not sure will resonate for many people who don’t know Hackney and its constituent districts. But Sinclair’s travels around the borough certainly brought back a lot of memories for me – especially for when I lived in Stoke Newington, where I saw the riot in ’81 kick off in the High Street on a Friday night and had my first ever sight of a burnt-out car by Rectory Road station during that following week-end. The nearest pub where me and my flat-mate used to sup, The Manor Tavern, was boarded up for a while after. Like me, Sinclair is very fond of the area in Clapton where the River Lea runs through and I still like to find my way down there when I have time to return on increasingly infrequent trips.

There are some colourful characters who Sinclair tracks down and interviews, including ‘The Mole Man’ - who excavated deep into his property before he was evicted from it by the Council - and Dr Swann (‘Swanny’), supplier of treatment and medicines to the Krays and their associates. There are snapshots of Jean-Luc Godard and Orson Welles and their forays into Hackney, and also an interview with Sinclair’s filmic collaborator, Chris Petit, too. This is a nice link (via Petit’s film ‘Radio On’ and the ‘Free Astrid Proll’ graffiti in its early scenes) to Sinclair’s final interview with Astrid Proll (an erstwhile resident of Hackney in the 1970s whilst she was on the run from the West German state after jumping bail pending trial on charges associated with her activities as a getaway driver for the Red Army Faction) which takes place at the café in Springfield Park in Clapton and on a walk down by the Lea.

It’s a fascinating read and Sinclair’s style is certainly different, but alluring. If you do read it, make sure that you have a dictionary nearby as there were many new words for me that I needed to look up.

Last edited:
Back