• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Currently enjoying Greg Fidgeon's novel, 'Ball Or Nothing'. Loving all the Shrimpers' references, including this one from one of the early chapters: -

"I hated this guy more than Colchester United and decided to go full Roy McDonough on him."

And manage them too, to the non-League double.
I'm reading it atm (thanks for the recommendation).Can't say I really enjoy the fantasy football/Roy of the Rovers stuff though I certainly appreciate the SUFC & LOS references. Incidentally there's no pub called The Old Bell IN LOS (obviously).Could the author be meaning the Ship?

Last edited:
I'm reading it atm (thanks for the recommendation).Can't say I really enjoy the fantasy football/Roy of the Rovers stuff though I certainly appreciate the SUFC & LOS reference. .incidentally there0's no pub called The Old Bell IN LOS (obviously).Could the author be meaning the Ship?
Not quite sure ... I suppose The Bell in Eastwood might be the one. That looks older than The Bell in Westcliff.

I'm reading it atm (thanks for the recommendation).Can't say I really enjoy the fantasy football/Roy of the Rovers stuff though I certainly appreciate the SUFC & LOS references. Incidentally there's no pub called The Old Bell IN LOS (obviously).Could the author be meaning the Ship?
Wasn’t there a Bell Hotel in Leigh many years ago, not far from the Ship?

I recently read 'The Heartland: Finding and Losing Schizophrenia' by Nathan Filer. It's a moving insight and exploration into the effects of "so called schizophrenia" or the psychotic condition that results in people hearing voices. The book takes us through various scenarios involving people whose lives have been or were transformed by this condition and also the views of family members also affected by this.

Nathan Filer's experience as a psychiatric nurse provides this book with an authentic personal perspective in addition to his extensive research and I found his reflections on the limitations of phenothiazines in the treatment/management of so-called schizophrenia to be very helpful.

It's one that you can pick up and read in brief periods, the chapters for the individual discussions being well-condensed but well-detailed too.

Attachments

• the heartland.jpg
    the heartland.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 2
Yes, half way up the hill, called Bell Hotel, adjacent to the place that sold cheap bathroom fixtures. @Cricko will now for sure.
bell1.webp

It's now flats.

1680162129562.jpeg

Didn't it accidentally fall down and the council made the developers rebuild it?
Yes it collapsed the day before demolition. Hmmm.

The guy also used to own Bakers bar in Alexander road which had a fire and i am not sure it has been developed yet.

Last edited:
Back