• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Just read Midnight Cab by James Nichol. Decent enough crime thriller. Now reading Supping with Panthers by Tom Holland, excellent Gothic-vampire thriller. Next on the list, Catch 22.

great book. I'm ploughing through Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

Just finished...
The Damned United - David Peace
Entertaining enough, but the whole repetition thing is really annoying, all it did was make me want to read Cloughie's autobiography.

Currently reading...
The Old Man & the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Only a short read, but I'm loving the simplicity of the story. An old man and a fish. poetic and rather beautiful.

Next Up...
Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Oh Boy.

The Old Man and the Sea was something I read years ago, I had a whole compilation of Ernest Hemingway stories in one book, and I remember enjoying that more than any of the others.

Just finished...
The Damned United - David Peace
Entertaining enough, but the whole repetition thing is really annoying, all it did was make me want to read Cloughie's autobiography.

Currently reading...
The Old Man & the Sea - Ernest Hemingway
Only a short read, but I'm loving the simplicity of the story. An old man and a fish. poetic and rather beautiful.

Next Up...
Crime & Punishment - Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Oh Boy.

Loved Peace's book. The repetition I think made it more authentic. Hemingway is a superb writer, I must read more of his stuff. He's one of the men who you want to have a beer with.

Loved Peace's book. The repetition I think made it more authentic. Hemingway is a superb writer, I must read more of his stuff. He's one of the men who you want to have a beer with.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the book, and thought it was well told, I liked the way he contrasted his time at Leeds to his time at Derby. And the repetition was a good device, but he used it soooo often it just got irritating.

I'd rather have gone for a drink with Brian or with Nigel though. Mind you Brian was alcoholic (i wouldn't keep up) and Nigel is teetotal i think.

I prefer to choose my drinking partners from amongst the living. Otherwise conversation can get a bit dull after a while.

great book. I'm ploughing through Bad Science by Ben Goldacre

I'm just about to start this.

Do you know what the compilation was called? I'd like to buy a copy.

Probably the Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine stories.

I think that contains most of his stuff, although I can't say I've read it (I did though read The Sun Also Rises last month though). I'm sure there will be a complete set of his works out there somewhere though.

:clap:

Do you know what the compilation was called? I'd like to buy a copy.

No I don't, I loaned it to my father in law when he had to go into hospital for an operation and I never got it back. When I mentioned it one time after seeing it at their house, his wife insisted it was their book. Think it came from WH Smiths.

No I don't, I loaned it to my father in law when he had to go into hospital for an operation and I never got it back. When I mentioned it one time after seeing it at their house, his wife insisted it was their book. Think it came from WH Smiths.

Smiths - that should narrow it down.

ps I think Yorkshire is right. For once.

'A Slobbering Love Affair: The True (And Pathetic) Story of the Torrid Romance Between Barack Obama and the Mainstream Media' - Bernard Goldberg

I recommend it highly. Particuarly to the idiot on Shakespeare Drive who has an Obama poster in their window.

Was bought the 100 Classic Books thing on the Nintendo DS for my birthday, so read Around The World In 80 Days, which I really should have read years ago. Absolutely superb. I'd have finished 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by now, but I took the chip out to play Civilisation and now I can't find it.

Also just finished the very readable, but a bit Welsh-centric 'A Game For Hooligans', a history of rugby union. What I need to do is to sit down and finish my Penguin History of the United States, but I keep getting distracted.

Ooooh! Something shiny!

*scampers off*

Smiths - that should narrow it down.

ps I think Yorkshire is right. For once.

This is something from about 18/19 years ago! I can't help not being able to remember, I'm actually not even so sure that it wasn't a Readers Digest compilation as I've just looked at Hemingway's bibliography and nothing is ringing bells. It was a big chunky red book, and had For Whom the Bell Tolls and the Snows of Kilimanjaro in it as well, possibly more.

Winters Heart, which is the ninth in the Wheel of Time epic fantasy series by Robert Jordan.

I'm giving the completed eleven books a second run through, as the final twelfth installment is due to be released in August this year.

I'd forgotten how much I have enjoyed it over the years!

Just realised i totally misread that earlier, i thought it said you wanted to go for a drink with Peace!

Absolutely, Hemingway would have been a great drinking partner.

nevermind.

Probably the Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine stories.

I think that contains most of his stuff, although I can't say I've read it (I did though read The Sun Also Rises last month though). I'm sure there will be a complete set of his works out there somewhere though.

Thanks YB, I will have a look for that.

I'm currently bookworming my way through the 2008 Sports Book Of The Year, Marcus Trescothick's autobiography. Hardback edition at 'The Works' in the High Street for just £3.99 (Waterstones are still flogging it for £18.99). You simply can't go wrong. Raw and unexpectedly harrowing in parts but a million times better than the awful up-my-own-jacksie-this-is-all-the great-things-I-did biogs you get from countless sportspeople and so-called celebrities.

Back