• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, follow up to The Kite Runner.

More Afgan misery thanks to those Taliban jokers.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, but I'm making slow progress as I regularly get sidetracked looking up additional info on Wikipedia.

Nick Leeson's Autobiography.

rogue-trader-nick-leeson-394.jpg

David Pearce

<
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the book, and thought it was well told, I liked the way he contrasted his time at Leeds to his time at Derby. And the repetition was a good device, but he used it soooo often it just got irritating.<

Personally I'm a big fan of David Pearce's and love all the stuff of his that I've read.Glad to see that the Red Riding quartet is now on the box though annoyingly I can't get a decent picture on C4 for some reason.1984 is a stand out book on the Miners' strike and deserves to be filmed in this 25th anniversary year.
Pearce of course is an ex-TEFL Teacher which gives the rest of us hope;)
ps Yes,I know that Red Riding has its own thread.Thanks

Last edited:
Digging up this thread: Currently reading Bad Science by Ben Goldacre, an "expose" kind of book on the myths and lies peddled by the media and industry about medicines, alternative therapies, homeopathy etc.

Best line so far: Gillian McKeith, or to give her full medical title... Gillian McKeith. :D

image64.png

Would strongly recommend anything by Jonathan Coe..........and if Uxbridge shrimpers avator suggests anything, he should enjoy 'What a Carve Up.'
Recently finished James Lee Burke, Sunset Limited, which I enjoyed but found his style of writing a little difficult to get into. Good atmosphere of Southern Louisiana, with his main character, Detective Robicheaux progressing through the bodies to find the guilty..........not aways in an orthodox way. Worth mentioning that a couple of weeks ago I saw a film .......In Electric Mist?.................with Tommy Lee Jones giving a good performance as Robicheaux............even if he didn't have a 'southern drawl.'
Highly respected Bernard Tavernier, directed it .............strongly recommended.........
captured the great atmosphere of the books.

"Poptastic"- Tony Blackburn's autobiography. Simply sensational and solid gold fab- the man is a living legend...

Latest Lee Child book Gone Tomorrow.

Once again I couldnt wait for the paperback so spent the extra to get the hardback.

The Southend United Miscellany by Peter Miles and David Goody which I won in an All At Sea competition! It's a great read with some really interesting facts, who knew that Che Wilson played for 3 teams that were all relegated in 1 season?

Normally for relaxing I go for a nice thriller but thought I would re-read an old book that I had read years ago. Boring some of you may think but this book
gives you lots of insight into peoples behaviour and when finished reading you tend to spend time anaylsing others quite a bit.

Games People Play - by Eric Berne.

When you have read it you almost self analyse yourself :unsure:

Currently reading 'Wake Up' by Jack Kerouac, his biography of Siddhartha Gautama (founder of Buddhism).

Recently finished...

Crime & Punishment - Dostoyevsky.
Took me ages, an incredible book and rather pleased with myself.

Marley & Me - John Grogan.
Brilliant, funny and engaging, have to admit the end choked me up.

Last edited:
Re-reading my Mankell collection. Just finished "Let the right one in", which was fantastic, cant wait to see the film now. I think I'm going through a Swedish phase. Next, some Strindberg!

Just started 'One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich' by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. Real laugh a minute stuff. Ahem.

Re-reading my Mankell collection. Just finished "Let the right one in", which was fantastic, cant wait to see the film now. I think I'm going through a Swedish phase. Next, some Strindberg!

I finished it recently too... excellent book. The film is superb too

I've just finished reading "Foul! The Secret World of FIFA: Bribes, Vote Rigging and Ticket Scandals" by Andrew Jennings for a piece I'm writing on the FIFA/ISL Scandal...

Excellent book, very well written with his tongue firmly in his cheek and his pen firmly aimed at Sepp Blatter and his cronies. Delivers exactly what it says on the tin, exposes and delivers accounts of some of the scandals to rock FIFA over the last decade. Everything from Jack Warner and his Ticket Touting to Sepp Blatter and his bribery and cash for contracts dealings is included.

The only thing I will say, is that this book will leave you disillusioned with the game. If you were remotely honest or even naive in your belief football is in the right hands, then this book will leave you shaken to core about the state in which the game is in at the top level. I can't see it getting any cleaner under Michel "I ****ing hate England" Platini either...

Am currently reading Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion. Not nearly as good as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest so far.

Just finished CLR James' classic Beyond a Boundary, which was outstanding.

Am currently reading Ken Kesey's Sometimes a Great Notion. Not nearly as good as One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest so far.

Just finished CLR James' classic Beyond a Boundary, which was outstanding.

Have you read John Major's cricket book yet? Fascinating stuff.

ps other sports books which are must-reads, both about boxing:

The Fight, Mailer
The Sweet Science by AJ Liebling

Back