• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

First of all, may I remind us of our name: "The Southend United Football Club".

Within those five words is a huge amount of meaning, however, the two key words are "UNITED" and "CLUB". I was rewatching "The Team We Call United" the other day and it reminded me of what it is to be a Southend United supporter. A supporter of a club whose fans helped build the ground that we call Roots Hall.

I know it's not particularly fashionable, but at the end of the day, we are supposed to be a club. Unfortunately, the natural successor to the original Southend United Supporters Club (the Trust) appears to have forgotten what it is that ties us all together and how it is that we can get out of the mess that we're in. I believe that we, the supporters, need to have a manifesto with clear goals. Our primary goal of course should be to take back our Football Club for benefit of the community at large - not just the Chairman. Perhaps the directors of ShrimperZone could set up sum kind of forum/sticky post where we can put together a Supporters Manifesto, which, ideally the Trust should then drive forward.

There are things that we can do now to protect the future of our club. The first amongst which is to ask the shareholders to demand an Extraordinary General Meeting. Surely this cannot be that difficult to do.

Secondly, the trust needs to step up to the plate. I live in North Wales and therefore cannot practically take an active part in the life of the trust. If I still lived in Southend I would bust a gut to shake things up and wake up the sleeping giant that is the Trust. I am afraid that I have to agree with what certain other people have said about the Trust being almost Masonic in its works, however, now is not the time to criticise, now is the time for action.

With respect to what the Trust can do, I do not believe that handing over money to be frittered away is the way forward. The Trust should however be helping with reducing the day to day costs of running the football club. Whilst I do not want anybody to lose their jobs within the club, the reality is that it will have to happen one way or another.

Therefore, the Trust should be working in partnership with the club in ways such as taking over the running of the ticket office, starting by changing the answer phone message. I cannot see why the Trust running the ticket office cannot be achievable, almost running like a charity shop with volunteers. In addition if fans were actively encouraged to purchase their tickets on the internet rather than by phone, this would reduce the administration of tickets to a minimum. In addition, it needs to be made easier to buy tickets to away games.

Roots Hall has facilities within in it which need to be used on a daily basis to generate income for the Club. From that point of view, the Trust should be actively working with our Commercial Manager to boost the day to day income of the club by actively promoting the facilities that we do have. The greatest problem that any club has is the close season when there are quite literally no bums on seats.

As I understand it, basic things within the club are not being done - for example I believe that the sponsorship money from The Exiled Shrimpers hasn't been collected. Why not? If this is the case, are the club actively pursuing and collecting sponsorship monies from our pitchside advertisers? I fear I know the answer.

Finally, I believe that pressure needs to be put on Ron to be open about the problems we've got. Only by openness can problems be solved. Ron will keep his head in the sand while there is no real pressure. We need to support the players on the pitch for 90 minutes, however, outside of these times the pressure needs to be applied to Ron to come clean and tell us what the situation really is. I firmly believe that in this regard, we need to write an open letter to Ron which needs to be published in The Echo, which I am sure that they will help with. Remember - if Southend go down the swanny they'll sell a lot less papers.

Thats all for now.

UNITED - NOT DIVIDED

Have you spoken to the Trust to understand their aims, goals and objectives?

It would be helpful if the Trust could clarify their role in response to this post as I for one do not personally know what the Trust is setting out to achieve.

I agree that ofcourse there is always more that we as fans can do but we need to be in unison to achieve this and have a voice to represent opinion. If the Trust is already set up for that then lets use it.

I'm not sure publicly showing our frustration to Ron is going to go hand in hand with supporting our players week in week out. There is no doubt they will cop hold of the displeasure from the crowd.

I have been a member of the trust for a number of years now.

Apart from the Raffle tickets (which I no longer receive at my request) and the Shrimpers Bar, I have absolutely no idea what they do.

There are a number of clubs who work hand in glove with the supporters trusts, however, Chris Phillips has said on twitter that he hasn't spoken to Ron for over 3 years!!!!

Realistically we are a lower league club who like all lower league clubs haven't got a pot to **** in. However, the supporters and the trust can only work with the club if they are honest with us.

Ron doesn't want that it seems, so we need to support the TEAM but put pressure on the BOARD, but not during matches.

Gawd help Ron,

He doesn't help himself and really does need to address the issues himself when the rumours fly like this. Does he have his informants who read this board and pass on information?

If so, please tell Ron to agree to an interview with the Echo.

Thanks for the above. I signed up with the Trust years ago but have to admit I am not sure what they do.

Gawd help Ron,

He doesn't help himself and really does need to address the issues himself when the rumours fly like this. Does he have his informants who read this board and pass on information?

Thanks for the above. I signed up with the Trust years ago but have to admit I am not sure what they do.

I can assure you that ShrimperZone is monitored by several departments of the Club. Whether anyone is brave enough to report back to the Chairman is another matter.

Gawd help Ron,

Just what format would this Q & A take ? How about CP asks him at the end of every answer this;

Ron please state if the answer you just gave was;

A/ A downright lie

B/ Massaging of the truth

If Ron won't speak to the local press, why should he speak to the Trust?.:unsure:

Because the Trust are working with the club and the Echo just report on it, and theres now no CEO to do that at the moment.

Even if he was too talk. is he trustworthy based on past comments he has made? Certainly NOT.

North Wales Shrimper... sorry to be against what you have said there and that's your opinion on what should be done, but that sounds like utter tripe and something that should remain in the 60's/70's era.

I'm not trying to sound like Anti-Shrimpers trust here, but what you have described is nothing short of a Sunday League team. The trust should stay the trust and carry on there workings in the background supporting the club as they do.

Yes it's clear that things haven't been right for some time now, but just cast your mind back to 2004. We had a ticket office that only had one member of staff running it, the shop was dingy and never had any Shirts in stock after September. All which have since been modernised and drastically improved, even the online ticketing and online club shop.

We had old fashioned turnstiles, which have now been replaced by easy entry scanners. A ticket office that now opens all day, and doesn't close for lunch when it's the best time for people to buy tickets.

As much as I agree with people that it looks like there are problems, people seem to forget the improvements that have been made.

For some reason supporters still seem to think Football is recession proof, but if you take a look at the average attendance of crowds across the country, you can see they are now starting to fall because supporters can no longer afford to come all the time. And if they can afford it then they can't afford maybe the food, or a item from the shop, or to buy advanced tickets or a programme.. all items that the Club rely on for extra sales.

The team are doing well, and success normally brings increased attendances and revenue in areas of the Club, but I know for one that I've not bought a replica shirt yet this season because I've decided I can't justify it (and hope I get one at Christmas). I normally buy a home and away shirt.. that's £80 the club have not received from me yet, the same with food, I eat before the game to save money.. multiply that by supporters in the same boat and you can see how quick the stats add up on money the club are loosing. I don't keep hold of money because I'm unhappy with the team or the management, I simply can't afford it.

If you really want to help the club and you know you can afford it, then pop into the Shop on the way into the game and buy something small, buy that burger or pie, pick up a match day programme.

Lets be positive where we can, and stop being negative. We cannot let the disgruntled negativity spill into the stands and affect the atmosphere and more importantly the players.

If you want the club to improve then the only way to do that is to put your hands in your pockets when you can. It's like any business.. if people don't spend the business goes bust, it's not the fault of the owner, it's just the way the economics of the past 3/4 years have had an effect.

Rant Over!

Back