• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Connects Us?

Having blue blood doesn't make you Royal. It makes you a SUFC fan. I was born in the town and am perfectly happy to embrace my sense of tribalism. I spent twenty years in the west country and only visited a league club there when we were playing them. My allegiance has never been corrupted.

The real question is what connects Southenders to clubs like the hammers or spurs? I am not an extreme person but I feel these tribe swapping traitors should be tied to the base of the pier and if they drown it was God's will.

The tattoo on my todger reads 'sound' and when I get excited it says Southend United. Well it used to, age/ wear and tear etc, now it says 'sod' on a good day. ?

Southend and Southend United are very special. My Nan and Grandad met in Southend, both sadly no longer with us, as of last year. My Parents are originally from London, Mum's family are West Ham, Dad's family are Spurs, as is my older Brother. I was born in Basildon Hospital and we moved away from Southend when I was about 5 years old but I have and always will be a Shrimper and proud. Living in Swindon, I probably get to more away games than home games but coming back to Southend is something that I do probably 10/15 times a year and I've really missed being able to do that. Special place, special club.

Although hailing from Wickford, the roar of the North bank and the West stand on those magical Friday nights in the 70s had me hooked. Loved it.
As alluded to earlier in the thread, yes i too love a good underdog.
In fact the stand out game for me which had me in the grip was away to Chesterfield in L1 under Tilly and Brush, when Freddy Eastwood was on fire.
The reason for this was the realisation that we couldnt be beat, we were to crack on and win the league and be promoted into the second tier for only the second time.
That's what i mean, watching the underdog rise up is brilliant fun.

Of course, watching Stan single handedly transform us too in those short few months. Incredibly exciting. I could go and watch any London team, but you cant match the underdog if you arent one. I live for those days.
We might have been bottom of the Championship, but we had a feeling we would turn over Alex Fergusons Mancs that had Rooney and Ronaldo.
You can't touch that atmosphere when it happens, for that feeling of your insides wanting to explode. Bit like Chelsea away in the cup, losing nearly all game and Clarke pops up with a header in the dying mins.
That feeling, sauntering down the Kings Rd in the dark, with thousands around you, again like you want to explode youre so excited.
****in love it.

Thought I'd share my background too. I never normally post but read a lot of what goes on, on SZ since I was 17 hence the username....now 25.

My first game was back in 2002 and since then I caught the bug. I got to go with dad and grandad. I only got to go once with my dad before he passed but I went with Grandad until I was 16 and he passed I owe everything to them for showing me the way.

I do go football now on my own, well since I was 16 years old but just because I had nobody to go with wouldn't stop me going to watch something I love. Its times where I get to reflect on times with my family and its me time.

One thing that connects us all is Southend United?

Some may have seen me mention this before but I have no link to Southend at all as I am born and bred in Bedford but after 26 years supporting I literally feel like I was born in Southend. To anyone I know, I call it my adopted home and everyone connects me with the town. Most people who don’t know me well also just assume I am from the town. I feel as connected to the club and town as anyone born elsewhere could be. I love everything about this beautiful South Essex Seaside town.

Well, you deserve an extra 99 in your Rossi's cone. We'll throw in a stick of Southend-on-Sea rock as well.

I was taken to my first football match by my 2 uncles one Boxing Day many years ago, it was West Ham v Spurs. One uncle was a spammer and commandeered my brother as a new spammer ( he still is to this day) my other Uncle was a die hard Spurs fan, and that was my introduction to football.
Whilst I still have a modicum of interest in Spurs, we moved to Wickford in the late 60’s and Southend was introduced by school friends, Friday nights under the lights in the 72/73 season and I was hooked, and have been ever since.
My 2 lads travel with me to home and away as and when my job allows, it’s a blood thing!

Back