• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do we need?

What positions do we need someone new in?

• Goalkeeper

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Leftback

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Centre Half

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Centre Half

• Rightback

• Left Midfield

Votes: 26 61.9%
  • Centre Midfield

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Centre Midfield

• Right Midfield

• Striker

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Striker

Votes: 2 4.8%

• Total voters
Poll to follow. Basically, in what positions do we need new players for whatever reason. Multiple options, but try not to be ridiculous and click every option.

Justify your opinions with posts :)

I have put Striker, Centre Mid and Centre backs on twice just incase anybody feels we need two :)

AHH MODS, I'VE MESSED THIS UP CAN YOU PLEASE ALLOW MULTIPLE CHOICES.

Last edited:
A creative central midfielder and a left-winger are the priorities, in my opinion, though they can wait until the summer. We'll then need at least one, if not two, new centre-halves.

To be honest, this season, I'm quite happy with what we have when we have at least 2 fit strikers to pick from.

When the new season comes round it all depends on who stays and who goes. We need an experienced left back, someone like Borrowdale who was mentioned in January. We definately need a new centre half, if Clarke goes we need two. Dervite would be a fantastic signing, but I very much doubt he is realistic to be honest.

As for the midfield, a left winger is a must. HRK and the trialist from yesterday, Eagle, are both out of contract in the summer plus we was linked with Bradley Johnson and Matt Ritchie as well so at least one of those please.

In the middle, Ed Upson has been on trial since the Canvey game in January so I can see him coming in, and in an ideal world I'd like Sawyer in as well.

Up top, we have Barnard, Freedman, Laurent, Revell and Walker. I can see Walker leaving in the Summer, possibly to Yeovil, so he would need to be replaced. I'd be very happy with Theo Robinson becoming a permenant signing, but we have also been linked with Liam Dickinson and Chris Dickson so one of those please.

Everything else depends on who stays and who goes. Joyce will be off in my opinion, but Clark Masters will be promoted to number 2. Francis may decide he wants out if Sankofa is still first choice so he could need replacing, possibly the Chelsea right back we had on trial against Canvey in January. On the right wing, I could see one off Betsy and Scannell leaving us, therefore we'd need to bring another right winger in. Someone I've been very impressed with this season is Matty Phillips at Wycombe. Massive amounts of pace, and has a decent delivery as well.

A left winger, correct me if im wrong but isnt Betsy, Scannell both right wingers and Francis when plays on the wing plays on the right.

Left winger for me, our defence is great at the moment and can't see that changing before the end of the season, centre midfield we have got to many, right midfield we have got people who can play out there in Betsy, Scannell, Moussa, Grant, upfront Barneys back now isn't he? and Laurent and Dougie are there if needed

I'd go along with that, a left winger and probably a central defender in the close season. Then start looking at the contracts of existing players.

To challenge next season, IMO, we would need a left sided midfielder, or out and out winger, just someone to give balance to that side of the pitch. In addition, a natural left back is also needed to complete the picture on that side - Barrett is not a natural left back, and in truth, it struggling in that position.

More than anything, we need a creative midfielder. Although our form has been excellent of late, with the excellent possession we have enjoyed, we ought to have been winning games by more than one goal, Scunthorpe aside. It is the reason why people like Barney have struggled to get in the goal charts - last season he was mustard with the supply line of Gower and Bailey, this season, there is not a lot of opportunity coming his way.

You could also argue that a natural right sided player is required - it's obvious it's not going to be Betsy, so we would need to recruit someone else - Grant has fone OK of late, but again, to break teams down consistently, someone who can get to the line and cross the ball is required.

In truth, we're not a million miles away, as our form of late has showed, but we will always lack the consistency to win games because we have a lack of goal creating players in our side.

What we need is...

What the world needs now is love, sweet love.
...and an alternative Ulster!:offtopic:But seriously, folks- we need a proper left-sided midfielder and a serious attempt to sign Theo permanently, plus DD if there's any chance. Can Moussa be the creative middle midfielder that we all wish for... time will tell, but can we afford that? So, we need to keep tabs on Sawyer's situation in the close season too. I really hope Clarkey stays but trust that Tilly ends any reunion with AB in the middle if we can't secure DD. Whither Johnny Herd if AB stays at LB- now couldn't he do a job in LM?

...and an alternative Ulster!:offtopic:But seriously, folks- we need a proper left-sided midfielder and a serious attempt to sign Theo permanently, plus DD if there's any chance. Can Moussa be the creative middle midfielder that we all wish for... time will tell, but can we afford that? So, we need to keep tabs on Sawyer's situation in the close season too. I really hope Clarkey stays but trust that Tilly ends any reunion with AB in the middle if we can't secure DD. Whither Johnny Herd if AB stays at LB- now couldn't he do a job in LM?
I don't think we will get Dorian, Spurs rate him too highly but would love to be shocked and see him at the Hall next season. As for Theo, I think we could afford him, I'll be very disappointed if we don't go in for him. In a dream world we would sign Sawyer, Dervite, Theo, HRK and some other people in the summer but I can only see 3 players at max being permanently signed this summer. Would love to see HRK here permanently, he's versatile too so Tilly can fix two problems with 1 player

We need an instinctive striker but we do not/will not get one due to wage demands etc. If we are to get back into the Championship we must break the bank or offer massive incentives (goal, win and promotion bonuses) to attract a decent player.

I don't think we will get Dorian, Spurs rate him too highly but would love to be shocked and see him at the Hall next season. As for Theo, I think we could afford him, I'll be very disappointed if we don't go in for him. In a dream world we would sign Sawyer, Dervite, Theo, HRK and some other people in the summer but I can only see 3 players at max being permanently signed this summer. Would love to see HRK here permanently, he's versatile too so Tilly can fix two problems with
1 player

Yeh, I think you're right here & bang on about HRK. I only saw him once, at Yeovil, and was very impressed. The way he 'carressed' the ball just inside the post for what turned out to be the winning goal was a delight...

We need an instinctive striker but we do not/will not get one due to wage demands etc. If we are to get back into the Championship we must break the bank or offer massive incentives (goal, win and promotion bonuses) to attract a decent player.

Hmm... I don't want to sound like one of 'the eternal pessimists,' but this isn't going to happen in the current economic climate and with some of the rumours going around about our parlous financial situation. I would love to be proved wrong though! :)
ps Dougie Freedman has always seemed about as 'instinctive' a striker as a team like us could hope to get currently and by the sound of it, RM was very lucky in getting him because he didn't have the wage demands that a bigger ego may have hoped to nail.

I'm reasonably happy with the squad and it is at an age where improvement is a destinct probability. Whatever Clarke does we need a young, tall, commanding centre half - Dervitte would be ideal but lets face it, there is no chance. A left sided player to balance the side would be good also - preferably someone experienced to bring Herd along. The only other requirement would be for a goal scorer - its alright having plenty of forwards but no out and out goalscorer will always give us a problem. When I think of Best, Garner, Brace, Phillips, Crown, Guthrie, Hamilton etc.( I've missed out loads) we have generally had a proven predator in our ranks - oh for one of them now.

I would say we have a predator in Barnard but he has been injured too much this season, the question is can we get a full season out of him?

We need left back, 2 centre half's if Clarke goes, left midfield, a decent striker
Also if we could sign these players would be a bonus Sawyer, Dervite, Theo, HRK

Back