• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do you think we can achieve? -

• Promotion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play-Offs

• Consolidation

• Relegation

• Total voters
Last season, I put a cheeky score on the Blues to win the league and got told I was daft. On that occasion, I was betting with my heart more than my head, because I had no idea that Guttridge would come through, that Gower would return to form, or that Wilson would defy me by being a real candidate for player of the season.

This year, I have repeated that bet. I won £500 last year, so I got my season ticket for free, a right good **** up and a few bob left to back the Blues.

And this time, I really think they can do it. We need some luck with injuries because of the size of our squad, and we need Ricketts to show some of the form that got him that call up. We need Jamal to play like he did against England, and we need to keep Freddy and Tilly.

Who are we up against? Which striker at this level is better than Freddy? Who is a better keeper than Flavs? We have genuine quality all over the park, and it is not an old team either. Big reputations and big grounds don't win games. The right system with the right team will take us far. Webby's wonders that took top spot in 91 were not as good man for man as this team. We can do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i like to dream aswell.
We all do. Southend is the Premiersh!te? Blimey! You'd have me convinced that someone like Wigan Athletic can do it next?

wink.gif

In scouse accent:

'Never hear of 'em'

EXACTLY!!!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Former BluesinBC @ July 16 2006,22:15)]Last season, I put a cheeky score on the Blues to win the league and got told I was daft.

This year, I have repeated that bet.
And this time, I really think they can do it.
May I please be the first to tell you then that you are being daft...

Thank you.

(and good luck)

smile.gif

Sorry but whilst Im hoping we will do ok on the back of two seasons success I dont see us being strong enough to compete in the top 6 of this league. Im amazed nearly 40% of us think a top 6 finish is on the cards!

Id love those 40% to be proved right but think with a good season we will be able to finish somewhere in the middle.

As someone has already said lets hope those who think we will do well dont get too criticall if we spend most of the season in the bottom third.

We will scrape around the bottom half, and I reckon the season will end with us consolidating our position with a 16th place finish.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Former BluesinBC @ July 16 2006,22:15)]Webby's wonders that took top spot in 91 were not as good man for man as this team. We can do it.
Great post, but I can't agree with that statement, man for man I think the Webb side were better. However Tilly has strengthened his side much more than Webb (Keith Jones aside) than Webb ever managed.

Therefore I seriously believe Southend will cause quite a few upsets this season, added to the momentum of winning our division last season confidence in the camp should be sky high.

However I think we will definitely lack the strength in depth that the likes of Birmingham, WBA etc will have. A small squad worked to our advantage last year but I do not think this will be the case CCC.

One thing thats going to go against us is the fixture list. We're going into this season with a huge amount of momentum behind us, yet all of that momentum could be killed dead by a nightmare first dozen games. We end the season with a relatively straight-forward couple of months so if we're mid-table in February I fancy us to have a real go at breaking into the top 10, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be rock-bottom in November and then you're playing catch-up no matter how good your run-in is.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Beefy @ July 17 2006,14:15)]One thing thats going to go against us is the fixture list. We're going into this seaosn with a huge amount of momentum behind us, yet all of that momentum could be killed dead by a nightmare first dozen games. We end the seaosn with a relatively straight-forward couple of months so if we're mid-table in February I fancy us to have a real go at breaking into the top 10, but its not beyond the realms of possibility that we could be rock-bottom in November and then you're playing catch-up no matter how good your run-in is.
I fully accept the point you're making but it might well be those very teams who we play at the start of the season who'll be underestimating us more than most.

On our day, I think we'll give anyone a game this season.

And that's not saying it's not going to be tough because it will be!

To be honest though, we can all sit here and say 'there's not many keepers better than Flavs' or 'Freddy's one of the best strikers in the league' but every fan of every club will be thinking the same thing during pre season.

Every fan will look at their players individually and think 'mmm, we've got a chance here'. But you have to think realistically.

Let's all just be realistic for a second- we probably won't go up. Yes, we have a chance, but everybody does after 0 games played! We need to stay up, and move on from there.

Fair enough to anybody who thinks we have a chance, but i can't see it i'm afraid.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (South Bank Hank @ July 17 2006,14:19)]On our day, I think we'll give anyone a game this season.

And that's not saying it's not going to be tough because it will be!
I agree, I fancy us against half the division, and theres 6-8 clubs Id be happy with whatever points we can pick up.

Ive still got visions of what Southampton did to us in the cup although I thought for 30 minutes we we were the better side we still came off 3-0 down.

We have since made a couple of really decent signings, whilst Ricketts has everything to prove.

When we sign that Trundleabbotsharp bloke we will be in an even better position.

Back