• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do you think we can achieve? -

• Promotion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Play-Offs

• Consolidation

• Relegation

• Total voters

palexander

Life President
Last night, during discussing the possible Trundle transfer, I may have got a bit carried away, but I said that I think we can go up!!

Or, let me expand, I think Tilson thinks we can go up - secretly...

I started to explain myself in terms of the Trundle transfer and how much that could possibly cost us...

Tilson would NEVER come out and say he expects us to go up, but my feeling is that is what he has to convince the players and the chairman. If Ron Martin asks Tilson what he is going to achieve this year, if Tilson says "I think we will get relegated", do you think we'd get any transfer budget - or more to the point, Tilson would probably be asked politely to leave.

I believe that, although realistic, Martin (as any boss would) would want to hear "I think we can go up - and we need x, y and z to do it".

Now all of a sudden, Martin is listening. If Tilly convinces Martin and has his squad believing, then anything is possible. I think Tilly HAS to believe we can go up, otherwise why do the job? Lots of managers say that their aim at the start of the season is to win the league - Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes, Bothroyd, Allerdyce, Coppell will all deep-down want to win the league on Day 1. As the season progresses, that will change and of course Watford and Readings aim will be to stay in the league, but deep down, all clubs in a league have 1 aim and that is promotion.

IF the Trundle thing is true (or even Robbo) then I have convinced myself - and now my at first sceptical mate - that we CAN afford to bring these players to Roots Hall. £1.85 million package for Trundle is NOTHING if Tilson believes we will go up.

This league is a hard league - lots of big teams, but if they were actually decent sides, they would all be fiting for the top spot. As I think I mentioned in another post, when was the last time the Championship was contested by the 10 supposed biggest teams? It doesnt happen.

I think Tilly's plan is to come into the Championship and take a few teams by suprise and then who knows. As my mate said, he did it whilst playing for Webb and I bet he knows what it takes to come into the unknown and do well. Like last season, if we can get near the top and start to really believe, then we've seen that the spirit in the side can carry us through and see that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Maybe this is how Tilly could of sold the club to Trundle - what a challenge and what a vision for the future. Come to Southend, this is what we are going to do this year and you, Eastwood and Ricketts are going to fire us to promotion!

.... Or, am I going mad from the heat and being in the office today!?!?!?
down.gif
biggrin.gif

I don't think theres many good teams in this league, but there are definately a few. Leeds will be strong this season, you've got to imagine that at least one of Southampton, Palace or Norwich will have a good year and Coventry look like they're going to make a real go of it this year. Plus the three relegated sides look like they'll be all challenging for an immediate return.

Beyond them though I'm convinced that our first 18/19 players are as good as anyone in this league.

I think we'll finish somewhere between 6th and 16th. Play-offs are a possibility but realistically midtable has to be seen as sucess at this point. I'm sure that Tilly will give it a good crack though.

You mention Trundle a lot, but for all we know, Trundle is not anywhere near in the running.

I think we're looking at consolidation, and I think we can do it. My main concern is that we remain in this league until FF is built. Then, we'd have better infrastructure in place to really think about promotion to the Prem and trying to cope with it the season after that.

I reckon its Robinson not Trundle, we been after him for ages, its now up to Robinson & Swansea chairman & Ron & Tilly to see this transfer through. I hope so as he is different midfield to what we got at the club, he also take an mean free kick from centre & an direct replacement for Bentley as well.

Consolidation for the next 2 years will do for me then an real crack at the Premiership after that & then thrash W@nk-Ham!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 16 2006,13:45)]Last night, during discussing the possible Trundle transfer, I may have got a bit carried away, but I said that I think we can go up!!

I started to explain myself in terms of the Trundle transfer and how much that could possibly cost us...

Tilson would NEVER come out and say he expects us to go up, but my feeling is that is what he has to convince the players and the chairman. If Ron Martin asks Tilson what he is going to achieve this year, if Tilson says "I think we will get relegated", do you think we'd get any transfer budget - or more to the point, Tilson would probably be asked politely to leave.

I believe that, although realistic, Martin (as any boss would) would want to hear "I think we can go up - and we need x, y and z to do it".

Now all of a sudden, Martin is listening. If Tilly convinces Martin and has his squad believing, then anything is possible. I think Tilly HAS to believe we can go up, otherwise why do the job? Lots of managers say that their aim at the start of the season is to win the league - Ferguson, Wenger, Moyes, Bothroyd, Allerdyce, Coppell will all deep-down want to win the league on Day 1. As the season progresses, that will change and of course Watford and Readings aim will be to stay in the league, but deep down, all clubs in a league have 1 aim and that is promotion.

IF the Trundle thing is true (or even Robbo) then I have convinced myself - and now my at first sceptical mate - that we CAN afford to bring these players to Roots Hall. £1.85 million package for Trundle is NOTHING if Tilson believes we will go up.

This league is a hard league - lots of big teams, but if they were actually decent sides, they would all be fiting for the top spot. As I think I mentioned in another post, when was the last time the Championship was contested by the 10 supposed biggest teams? It doesnt happen.

I think Tilly's plan is to come into the Championship and take a few teams by suprise and then who knows. As my mate said, he did it whilst playing for Webb and I bet he knows what it takes to come into the unknown and do well. Like last season, if we can get near the top and start to really believe, then we've seen that the spirit in the side can carry us through and see that there is nothing to be afraid of.

Maybe this is how Tilly could of sold the club to Trundle - what a challenge and what a vision for the future. Come to Southend, this is what we are going to do this year and you, Eastwood and Ricketts are going to fire us to promotion!

down.gif

biggrin.gif
Some of your posts are very enthusiastic, no problem with that, but you do seem to be getting carried away in the tide of aimless transfer speculation.

I would suggest if we are in 17th position going into 2007 you do not stand up in your Roots Hall seat and scream "Tilson Out" because promotion to the Premier League is NOT our aim this year and the sooner everyone accepts this the better.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (mattlovell6 @ July 16 2006,14:24)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (pboreham @ July 16 2006,13:45)]Last night, during discussing the possible Trundle transfer, I may have got a bit carried away, but I said that I think we can go up!!

down.gif
biggrin.gif
Some of your posts are very enthusiastic, no problem with that, but you do seem to be getting carried away in the tide of aimless transfer speculation.

I would suggest if we are in 17th position going into 2007 you do not stand up in your Roots Hall seat and scream "Tilson Out" because promotion to the Premier League is NOT our aim this year and the sooner everyone accepts this the better.
Maybe I am getting carried away, but also trying to be positive, optimistic and trying to disect some of the reasoning behind the transfer rumours.

If we finish 20th this season, I will be delighted dont get me wrong.

Try to be a bit positive though eh mate?!
ghostface.gif
Oo.gif

I would imagine we'll finish somewhere between 12th and 16th - expecting any more in our 1st season back in (lets face it) a very strong division is too optimistic in my opinion. I'm not saying we definitely won't finish higher but to be honestly I'd be extremely surprised if we did.

To be honest, all of our signings look very sound so far and we had a lot of talented players in the squad already. We have plenty of ambition, a settled spine to the team and a tremendous work ethic that earns us points. Personally I felt that from the games I saw last season we conceded a lot through the fullbacks but I think we will be much more solid there this season.

There's so much to suggest we have the potential to do very well in this league but whilst Tilly may have ambushed a few teams at their places last year, I think the level of consistency among the top teams is better and teams generally are better organised.

However, apart from the top few, all we have is the assertion from teams such as Stoke and Hull that this league's much harder. I remember getting EXACTLY the same comments last year from fans and it turns out they didn't really know anything about our team other than that we played in the league below last year.

I'm not going to get carried away and expect anythgin from next season. The fact that we are there at all is just short of miraculous and I will appreciate every match but we are no soft touches and there is plenty of logic to suggest we could have a good year. I for one will be getting a handicap bet on.

I was thinking about this the other day and my mate brought me down to earth. We have the players, why not do it?

Pleasing that 18 people (so far) think we can actually get promoted to the Premier League!!!

"...and tonight on Match of the Day, little Southend travel to Old Trafford to face Manchester United. Southend are on a bit of a roll at the moment after the midweek win against Arsenal at the Emirates stadium..."

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
rock.gif

Good to see that crazy transfer speculation is being replaced by crazy predictions for next season. That's a surefire sign that we're getting closer and Klose.....

wink.gif

Consolidation is the key to the long-term future of Southend United. My gut feeling is that promotion at the first attempt, whilst generating short-term influx of cash, would cause irrecoverable damage to the overall stability of the football club and would not be beneficial to any long-term plan that may or may not exist, no doubt including the wholesale removal of SUFC from Roots Hall to a new stadium complex. I would be more than happy with a solid performance that places the club somewhere around 10th - 12th. Let's learn to walk before running ...

Sorry, but that's very, very narrow-minded. I can't seriously believe you'd risk the very existence of the football club just for one season in the Premiership. Many others have tried and many others have failed. On all fronts. Personally I'd rather see Southend United consolidate for a few seasons, build a strong squad, a strong infrastructure, then look at achieving the ultimate prize: a place in the top tier of English football. I would certainly NOT accept free-fall back to the basement division due to irresponsiblity. And we certainly wouldn't "have some cash"! This isn't 'Football Manager' or whatever it's called ...

haha i know its not, but you cannot go out there not trying to get promoted, id going absolutely mental if we did, and id love it!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fredheim_holm @ July 16 2006,22:51)]haha i know its not, but you cannot go out there not trying to get promoted ...
Of course not. As I said earlier, all Football League clubs should start the season hoping to achieve promotion. For most that dream falls by the wayside pretty early in the campaign but a select few the dream continues throughout the long crusade. Now what I believe is that whilst the long-term aim is indeed promotion, the ultimate goal next season must be consolidation in the Championship. Narrowly avoiding relegation won't do (although I'd be very happy with that) but finishing in the top-half is the more realistic target. Agree?

Back