• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What do you want from a wide man?

Shrimp Curry

Youth Team
I cant believe all of the stick that Scannell gets from some people on here, the guy came off the bench today and assisted in the scoring of both of our goals, he was also instrumental in our second half comeback against Hartlepool a few weeks ago and was probably our best player going forward against Wycombe last week and would have had another assist if it wasnt for Laurents superb miss for 2 yards out.

I think wide players are always a good topic of debate as there seems to be split opinion no matter who we have out on the wing. Even Mark Gower used to get a lot of stick and yet he would consistantly come up with 5-10 goals and assists a season. There were so many people who used to prefer JCR to Gower and yet for all his pace and skill the guy managed two goals and two assists in two years at the club, not a very good return at all. As a wide man that is the most important thing, yes its good if you track back well and can tackle but your primary role is to score and assist in the scoring of goals. If Scannell keeps doing that then he is doing a good job for this team.

Yep, totally agree with you! I like Scannell and there is no way he deserves all that stick, came off the bench and got 2 assists, 2 important vital assists aswell. Coming from 2-0 down. I like the guy, i reckon he has got such good pace and is skillful on the ball, can't believe the amount of stick he gets :@

He has been abysmal the two previous games , but today he did really well. Lets not make out that he is a class player though.

As with the rest of the team, a second half fightback is a good platform to build on , but consistency is the key.

Laurent looked so much better yesterday when he was out wide. I have never seen a player at Southend with such good dribbling. Defenders always seem to have a nightmare trying to get the ball from him. Anytime I see him one on one with a defender I have no doubts he is going to skin him! If he could actually shoot he would be deadly.

He isn't Gower. Thats why he gets abuse.

And yet ironically Gower got abuse for being Gower.

Mark Gower was a brilliant footballer for this level and it was a treat to get to watch him for five years. We're not going to see a player like that again for a while.

Wingers are always going to be inconsistent because they are at the periphery of the game and because so much of their game depends on confidence. Look at John Barnes for England.

What do I want from a wide man?

For him to share his chips every once and a while.

tsk tsk.

I think Gower used to get stick because he was so good and people wanted it from him more consistently, especially as he got older and more experienced, but there was no doubting he is the one player we have missed most! We even managed to find another goal scorer before we found another winger that delivers goals and assists on a regular basis.

Yesterday was a little annoying, because every time Laurent did a trick the fans start singing his name, but he didn't actually have an end produc. Yet Scannell set up one goal and played a massive part in the other and people still slag him off. Now i will hold my hands up and say I am not a fan of Scannells, I just don't feel he is professional enough, I mean 2 years and he is still working on his fitness and normally he runs down blind alleys, but yesterday he was the difference in the game for us and gave there right back a torrid time.

And yet ironically Gower got abuse for being Gower.

Mark Gower was a brilliant footballer for this level and it was a treat to get to watch him for five years. We're not going to see a player like that again for a while.

Wingers are always going to be inconsistent because they are at the periphery of the game and because so much of their game depends on confidence. Look at John Barnes for England.

Wingers can either be match winners or passengers on games. In my opinion, them more than any other position on the pitch, relys on confidence.

A winger, in full flight, is a fantastic sight. Scannell hasn't done that well for us in his time, but in the games against Wycombe and Swindon I can see why he was brought to the Club.

The guy who seats next to me hates Scannell with a passion, but the last two games he has come away and actually praised his performance. Thats good enough for me.

Wingers can be so inconsistent because of the pitch. This may sound stupid so you'll have to bear with me. If the pitch is wide, then the winger has more space to use, but if the pitch is narrow, then the winger doesn't have much space to use at all. There are many other factors such as the tactics of each manager and the players around him.

I think Scannell is better coming off the bench, he seems to make more of an impact that way. If our coaching was better, and could make him get his head up, and stop him being 'shown' away from goal by a good defender, then maybe he could be a regular starter.

If he is to come off the bench though, it needs to be with 20/25 mins left rather than 5 !

Back