• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What Gets Your Musical Juices Flowing and Why?

Bielzibubz

President
Simple really. What's your favorite style/genre of music and why.

For me it's grown remarkably the past few years. Being an old soul boy I have always loved the jazz funk, soul and dance anthem classics from the late 70's, 80's and 90's but now being involved heavily in the local Internet radio and live soul gig and DJ scene my tastes have become somewhat more obscure whereby now I listen to and appreciate a lot of soulful house, jazzy house, nu soul and acid jazz.

To me, music can lift the spirits like no other medium and jazz, funk and soul can do it like no other type, genre or style.

So what floats your boat musically?

Discuss.......................

Hard to say really. I guess I listen to quite a lot of obscure 'lyric-less' music. Whether that's electronic, dance, post-rock, ambient etc. I listen to music while working and often binge on fairly minimal/repetitive stuff for that purpose.

This track is blowing my socks off at the moment

https://open.spotify.com/track/6MrCBS3OoFrsXmMBTaenTQ

But then I love hip-hop, love indie rock and am currently binging on Ryan Adams. His new live LP is great.

https://open.spotify.com/track/4giBUnO7fEGG8RZGU71Xxg

Pretty basic stuff for me, a guy with an acoustic guitar pretty much the best way of connecting with on any level.

I honestly like pretty much anything from Opera to cheesy pop, though death metal & hardcore gangster rap is not my bag. Depends what mood I'm in at the time - though if I had to choose on style for the rest of my life it'd probably have to be Americana/Alt Country.

Oh and The Beatles who never, ever get old.

Blues mostly,though I like a lot of jazz, pop,R and B,soul and 60's music generally.

Not too sure about the why but probably because most of the 60's groups that I really liked eg The Animals,Kinks etc always name checked blues musicians as influences.So by the mid- 70's when the contemporary pop scene didn't appeal too much anymore, I just went further back to the roots.Seeing B.B.King live (in the early 70's) was also a huge turning point.

Liked a lot of punk stuff that was happening around about the time I left the UK in the late-70's and saw TRB,The Stranglers,The Jam,The Clash etc in that era.

(Having said that I'm off to see Mozza on Wednesday.Go figure.Though I did see him here back in '83 with the Smiths).

Open to almost anything, but my musical tastes will always be rooted in very early 90s alternative (excluding most of the whole Brit-pop nonsense). Some modern stuff makes its way into my collection, but you still can't beat a bit of God Machine every now and then, when the world just seems too happy.

Music reached it's scientifically defined peak in 1991.

The universe proved this beyond a doubt when I purchased a battered second hand strat years ago and got worried that I'd been ripped off as the serial number didn't appear to be genuine. I took the guitar apart to look behind the neck and discovered that it was in fact a limited edition guitar made for the British market, and had actually been made on my birthday in 1991.

Mostly like Phil..it is all about the soul stuff to me from early Stax stuff through Motown to Disco and to modern day soul....I do listen to most other stuff..Pink Floyd and ELO, Suertramp etc..I am split and I guess like music in general if it suits me. I hated the Punk era though and some of that 80's crap :winking:

Minority vote here for good old Rock. Mostly British bands like Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Motorhead, but absolutely love Lynyrd Skynyrd who I saw again last Thursday at Hammersmith.
But that said, if I were shipwrecked on an Island (somewhat smaller than the one I am on here), and I had just one band's work to listen to, then it would be Pink Floyd. Enough variation in mood and tempo to see me through.

Surely it's all based on your mood?

I've just listened to "We Can't Dance" by Genesis and now have "Change of the Century" by Ornette Coleman on.

Natch, all vinyl, has to be.

Back