• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What happens if.....

lucus

Coach
..McCormack has another good game tommorow and his performance turns out to be influential to our win? Do you think Tilson would stick to his policy of "if you perform and impress, you keep your place in the starting lineup" - Or would Maher just come back and resume his duties as normal?

Luke

Which obviously would be a scandal. McCormack will have played well for a whole 2 games whereas Maher has only played well for the first 50 or so games of the season. It's a f**king conspiracy don't you think?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ Mar. 24 2005,09:37)]Which obviously would be a scandal. McCormack will have played well for a whole 2 games whereas Maher has only played well for the first 50 or so games of the season.   It's a f**king conspiracy don't you think?
Quite right. When are people going to realise that just because Kevin Maher is our most consistent performer and sets up most of our goals it doesn't follow that he should be picked automatically. No, we should pick an unproven Preston reserve player with about 30 league games under his belt instead.

Well, both are fair points. You bring in a lad on loan and he comes in first game and fills in the captain's role admirably, to the extent that I don't think the team particularly missed Maher. When you bring in loanees, you tell them to impress and he certainly did. I'm sure he'd be gutted if he came down, played well twice and ended up back at Preston after a month.

That said, he didn't play better than Maher IMO, in which case you would have to look at other aspects such as experience where Maher is almost second to none at this level. Add to that, that Maher is our captain and you start to feel McCormack is unlucky to be so similar, even though that is exactly the reason he was signed.

McCormack is ONLY on loan and can't expect to retain Maher's spot, irrespective of his performances. He is here to earn a contract with Southend or to earn a place in the Preston side at the end of his loan spell... that's it!!! He has no rights to keep his place over any of our contracted players.

Tilly would some how decide that Bentley would be dropped, Maher will come straight back in, as club captain!

I get the impression McCormack/Maher wouldn't be paired together as they're too similar. Should Benno lose his place through injury/suspension/dropped then I'm sure it would be Guttridge coming in to replace him.

I can't see McCormack keeping Maher out of the side, he might have had a good game on Saturday but the likelihood is he's going back to Preston after his spell's up - I reckon Tilly only signed him as emergency cover due to Maher's suspension. If there are any more injuries / suspensions, I too think it will be Guttridge to step in.

McCourmack was a stop gap for the Maher suspension. He was only brought in incase we missed out on Luke Guttridge. By all accounts he had a good game at Cheltenham and hopefully he will tomorrow to show that we don't miss Maher that much. I don't expect McCourmack to figure (Apart from on the bench at Cambridge) in the first team for us after tomorrow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Smiffy @ Mar. 24 2005,09:24)]I think Maher will come straight back in the side regardless..
yeah, unfortunately..

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Mar. 24 2005,21:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ Mar. 24 2005,09:23)]..McCormack has another good game tommorow
ANOTHER good game? I don't think his had one good game yet!
Surely a joke?

What the hell did he do wrong? What exactly would Maher have done instead?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (sufcintheprem @ Mar. 25 2005,02:59)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matty the Shrimper @ Mar. 24 2005,21:30)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (lucus @ Mar. 24 2005,09:23)]..McCormack has another good game tommorow
ANOTHER good game? I don't think his had one good game yet!
Surely a joke?

What the hell did he do wrong? What exactly would Maher have done instead?
Leave it. At least McCormack tried to be a bit creative, unlike the crab-like Maher. Most didn't come off but the idea was there and the fact he'd only been at the club a few days didn't help. Im pretty sure McCormack will be heavily involved in todays' attacking moves ...

Back